or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:


post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Does there excist a site where you can convert the measure from English to Dutch and otherwise?
I don't know if I am at the right topic and if you understand my question. Because I don't know all the words, I try to say it at an other way.
post #2 of 9
English and Dutch use the metric system! Do you mean conversions from US measurements (not English) to Dutch? :D
post #3 of 9
I also guessed that you want to convert from US measures (cups, tablespoons, pounds, ounces) to metric.

The main things you have to remember are:
1 pound (lb.) (US weight) = 454 grams
1 ounce (US weight) = 28 grams
1 stick of butter = 1/4 pound = a little more than 112 grams

1 quart (US volume) = a little less than 1 liter
1 pint (US volume) = a little less than 500ml
1 cup (US volume) = a little less than 250ml
1 ounce (US volume) = 30ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml
1 teaspoon = 5ml
3/4 teaspoon = about 4ml
1/2 teaspoon = 2.5ml
1/4 teaspoon = about 1ml

Unfortunately, American recipes don't very often use weights for dry ingredients, such as flour, sugar, etc. so you have to be sure that the "ounces" are volume, not weight. I know, this is confusing, and I wish we use metrics the way the rest of the world does. :(

Finally, don't worry about how you say it! We'll work together to figure it out, and help you if we can. That's what we're here for: to help each other. :D
"Notorious stickler" -- The New York Times, January 4, 2004
"Notorious stickler" -- The New York Times, January 4, 2004
post #4 of 9
Put it in the google search bar.

1 cup to liter

etc, and it will give you the result. It calculates/converts just about anything.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
I did it now, because I didn't know the English measures by head. I had found a very good site for it. Thanks.

I had asked this question, because England is now our favorite holiday country and maybe we're going to it again this year. When we must make English food, you don't see always the Dutch measures.
post #6 of 9
Hello Drive - you really DID mean English (British) measurements! Sorry! This site may help you.

I still cook some of my older recipes (got a family 'receipt' book from the very early 1800s) in the Imperial measurements of pounds/ounces/fluid ounces/gallons etc - so I have scales and measuring jugs in both metric and imperial! You need to know that US and British weights and measures often have the same name - eg 'pint' and 'gallon' - but they are different measures entirely!

This site might be of some use to you. http://www.initium.*****.co.uk/converts/metimp.htm
post #7 of 9
This is, far and away, my favorite online resource for converting cooking measurements.

It should be able to answer any of your conversion questions. If not, PLEASE ask here.

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
The site cannot be found.
post #9 of 9
Sorry, Drive - the censorbot on here obviously didn't like something in the link's title.. :crazy:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking