Indonesian Tounge RecipeI don't know about Mexican "lengua", but I do have Indonesia Tounge Recipe and it is yummy. This is an Ancient Indonesian Royal Family favorite recipe that adopted from Dutch Cuisine. It is called "Selat Solo". Here is the recipe that I adopted and add a bit of my version to enhance the modern taste:
1 Medium Size Tounge
2 red chilies
2 Salam leaves (you can substitute with Bay leaves)
2 tbs multipurpose flour
1 onion (about 50 gr) - chopped
2 cloves of garlic (smashed unpeeled)
3 tbs thick sweet soy sauce
1 tbs Maggie Sauce
1 tbs Lea & Perrins (Worchestershire)
1 tbs granulated sugar
1 tbs ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground whitepepper
1 tbs freshly smashed balck pepper
2 stalks of celery (flat leaves)
1 stalk of spring onion
2 tbs margarine/ olive oil
salt to taste
250 ml warm water
some more water
- baked mashed potato & cheese (mixed mashed potato with grated cheddar cheese - mould with spoon - put in greased baking sheet - bake for about 5 minutes or until golden in color)
- Carrot - buttonoire slice
- green bean or asparagus will do
- iceberg lettuce
- freshly coarse ground black pepper
- Aioli (Mayonaise + anchovies (optional) + garlic)
- Cooked French Mustard (Pls see recipe below)
1. Boil tounge in water until it is tender. During the boiling, you can add the burnt whole red chillies (put the chili in the fire and let it burnt), salam/ bay elaves and salt to taste.
2. When the tounge is tender, turn off the heat and remove the tounge. Clean the outer skin and then slice it about 1 cm thick. Set aside.
3. Heat a (thick bottom) pan, add in the margarine/ oil. When it is hot, add in oinion and garlic, stir fry until it is fragrance, add in the celery stalks. Simmer for about 1 minute, then sprinkle the Maggie Sauce, L&P Sauce, Soy Sauce into the pan until it is caramelized, then add in the flour. (Notes: the caramels should be in good stage, do not burnt) When the flour cooked through, add in the water a little by a little and continue stirring until all water are disolved.
4. When all those stage done, add in: sugar, nutmeg, ground white pepper, smashed black pepper, keep on stirring until the the frangrance come out, then add in the cooked slice tounge and spring onion.
5. Add some more water if you like (the liquid consistency should be thick but it depends of what you prefer. It can be less thick sauce too). Bring to boil until the liquid a bit reduced. Ready.
a. 50 gr of carrot - small cubed - sprinkle with salt and mix them well. Set aside for 0.5 hour, clean them up under running water, drain, add 1 tbs sugar.
b. 100 gr cucumber/ kiyuri - deseeded - cubed - sprinkle with salt (not too much as cucumber will also absorb the salt into its flesh), set aside for about 15 minutes, clean them under running water, drain, add 1 tbs sugar.
c. 30 gr chopped onion
Notes: Salt is the agent to make the vegetable flesh more tender
d. Heat (medium) a pan, add in 1 tbs margarine/ olive oil, cook the onion until fragrance but not soft, put the mustad in, cook through, add in 5 tbs water, stir until all water disolved, add in a. and b. (above). Additional Salt & Sugar & Ground White Pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Ready.
Arrange in an oval serving plate
- Iceberg - crushed, put it as a base of serving plate.
- Put the cooked tounge and its sauce in the middle of the plate.
- Add in and arrange the baked mashed potato around the tounge
- Arrange the carrot and Greenbean/ asparagus amongst the mashed potato.
- Arrange the aioli in longest one site and cooked mustard in the other side.
Ready to serve.
Enjoy your cooking :chef: