I regularly do the frozen pesto in the ice cube tray trick. Everything but the cheese. It holds its color just fine and is more pungent than the premade stuff. It's farmer's market time here in the upper midwest and you can get great gobs of fresh basil for a song. I make up large batches of pesto, freeze it in ice cube trays immediately and then shuck the frozen cubes into ziplock bags in the freezer. Defrost, mix in your grated cheese and use. You can add more oil if you need to when you add the cheese..
- topicHerbs And Spicestagged by System, 5/23/10
Related Forum Threads
- Measuring? Last post on 4/11/14 at 7:27am in Food & Cooking
- What treat would you buy again and again... Last post on 8/20/14 at 10:23am in Food & Cooking
- Welcome, Spring! Last post on 3/21/14 at 10:05am in Food & Cooking
- Getting started Last post on 3/22/14 at 1:59pm in The Chef's Garden
- Cheap Saffron Last post on 9/19/13 at 7:53pm in Food & Cooking
How To Prepare Fresh Herbs For Cooking
Last edited: 1/10/12
- Top 10 Least Well Known Culinary HerbsLast edited: 5/8/10
- History And Descriptions Of ChiliesLast edited: 3/8/10
- A Standard For All SeasonsLast edited: 2/16/10
- Pepper Profile ChipotlesLast edited: 2/16/10
I've been on a bit of New Orleans Cajun and Creole kick with my cookbook reviews recently so I thought I'd stray a bit, although not too far and review a cookbook about seafood that can be found...
This sweet baby was my daily knife on the line for about two years.The grip is intuitive and lightweight and the knife just has a great action. She holds an edge for a surprisingly long amount of...
I have been through three butcher blocks by this company and each one has developed hairline cracks. The butcher block, on the whole, seems well made and has held up well. No warping, easy on...
I have attended NIU for three semesters now and am currently enrolled in its Hospitality Management program. It wasn't my first choice as I was unsure of my education path, but I choose it because...
When I was just embarking on my culinary career I spent a good amount of time working in New Orleans. To this day I still have a fondness for the Cajun and Creole foods I discovered while living...
Why does my fresh basil turn black? - Page 2post #31 of 328/18/11 at 8:05pm
ChefTalk.com Top Pickspost #32 of 3210/16/12 at 3:31pm
- Why does my fresh basil turn black?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
- Top 10 Least Well Known Culinary Herbs
Currently, there are 313 Active Users (4 Members and 309 Guests)
- › Making dashi using shitakes and dried shrimp 10 minutes ago
- › Steam table foods! 11 minutes ago
- › August 2014 Challenge - Eggs 14 minutes ago
- › timing key lime pie 38 minutes ago
- › Back on the line again after years of being away 1 hour, 46 minutes ago
- › How do i make this cake. Calling all experts:- 2 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 2 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Gyuto profiles - question on the "flat section"? 2 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Cupcake Confusion 3 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Mexican Queso 3 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › The Complete Guide to Northern Gulf Seafood by Pete
- › MAC MTH-80 8" Chef's Knife w/ Dimples by LovelyFeyd
- › John Boos Reversible End Grain Maple Chopping Block, 20 by 15 by... by wwatt7262
- › Northern Illinois University Hospitality Administration by JLomb
- › In a While, Crocodile: New Orleans Slow Cooker Recipes by Pete
- › Professional Baking by Naturesbliss
- › Fresh and Light by Cami
- › Ferrandi Paris - The French School of Culinary Arts by pastelle
- › Viking VSC0508 8 Inch Stainless Steel Fry Pan by santoku runner
- › Vita-Mix 1700 Turbo Blend 4500 Countertop Blender with 2+ HP Motor by Roadturn
- › FRUIT FACTS !!!!! Chef Sarthak kochar
- › Roasting Coffee Beans At Home
- › No Apologies
- › Inspiration
- › A Brief Tour of American Barbecue
- › Emotions Storm in the Culinary Industry
- › I Met a Guy Named Jim, Just in Time
- › The Dogs of War
- › Boost Your Healthy By Bean Sprouts and...
- › A Shiny Spot in a Grimy Industry