I regularly do the frozen pesto in the ice cube tray trick. Everything but the cheese. It holds its color just fine and is more pungent than the premade stuff. It's farmer's market time here in the upper midwest and you can get great gobs of fresh basil for a song. I make up large batches of pesto, freeze it in ice cube trays immediately and then shuck the frozen cubes into ziplock bags in the freezer. Defrost, mix in your grated cheese and use. You can add more oil if you need to when you add the cheese..
- topicHerbs And Spicestagged by System, 5/23/10
Related Forum Threads
- Cheap Saffron Last post on 9/19/13 at 7:53pm in Food & Cooking
- Dandelion Greens Last post on 4/1/11 at 11:22am in Food & Cooking
- Dehydrating citrus zest, will this work? Last post on 3/16/11 at 11:08am in Food & Cooking
- Salt and Pepper Mill Preferance Last post on 2/23/11 at 9:15pm in Food & Cooking
- Help me make capers from eldertree flowerbuds... Last post on 2/5/11 at 6:57am in Food & Cooking
How To Prepare Fresh Herbs For Cooking
Last edited: 1/10/12
- Top 10 Least Well Known Culinary HerbsLast edited: 5/8/10
- History And Descriptions Of ChiliesLast edited: 3/8/10
- A Standard For All SeasonsLast edited: 2/16/10
- Pepper Profile ChipotlesLast edited: 2/16/10
I recently had the joy of picking up "The German Kitchen" by Christopher and Catherine Knuth and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The book's tag line is "Traditional Recipes,...
Instructions to the Cook Bernard Glassman & Rick Fields Reviewed by Jim Berman Guilty! I judged a book by its cover. I was in between titles, waiting for Ivan Ramen and the new Rene...
Ever since my first day of culinary school over 15 years ago I had thought of a product like this. A comfortable and ROOMY knife bag that can hold all of my knives, gadgets and my laptop. Being a...
For quite a while the neighborhood bakery seemed to be dying out, just like the neighborhood butcher and other individually-owned businesses. Along with this unfortunate trend was the loss of the...
It’s hard to imagine Julia Childs as anything other than a famous chef and author—her persona just seems to radiate Kitchen-chic. Yet, the story of Julia finding herself is richer than you would...
Why does my fresh basil turn black? - Page 2post #31 of 328/18/11 at 8:05pm
ChefTalk.com Top Pickspost #32 of 3210/16/12 at 3:31pm
- Why does my fresh basil turn black?
- Top 10 Least Well Known Culinary Herbs
Currently, there are 173 Active Users (2 Members and 171 Guests)
- › Let's Talk Coffee... Let's Talk K-Cups and Pods 2 minutes ago
- › Sous Vide Home use 57 minutes ago
- › What are some unique ideas to make Christmas Special? 1 hour ago
- › Most ridiculous complaint that you've heard recently? 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › colored cauliflower 1 hour, 59 minutes ago
- › December Challenge: Cinnamon 2 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › Best chef knives money can buy and where to purchase?? 2 hours, 30 minutes ago
- › What is wrong with this video? 2 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › My Gastronomy 2 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › The German Kitchen: Traditional Recipes, Regional Favorites by Pete
- › Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a... by Jim Berman
- › ChefPak by Pepperedfig
- › The Brown Betty Cookbook by prtybrd
- › Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child by BenRias
- › The Book Of Yogurt by Pete
- › Meat A Benign Extravagance by Fairlie, Simon [Chelsea Green,2010]... by hwood
- › Sun Bread and Sticky Toffee: Date Desserts from Everywhere by Cami
- › The Professional Bakeshop by Jim Berman
- › Shun Classic 6-1/2-Inch Stainless-Steel Nakiri Knife by Mark Hernen
- › A November Sunday in Torremolinos by ChrisBelgium
- › Orange Sherbet by Jim Berman
- › Malaga, a walk along tapa bars by ChrisBelgium
- › The First Timer's Guide to Roasting a... by Pete
- › A Brining We Shall Do by kaneohegirlinaz
- › Espresso + Gelato: The first in a series on... by Jim Berman
- › My Evening With Durangojo by kaneohegirlinaz
- › Polenta's Potential Predicated by ChefMannyDLM
- › Making Sauerkraut by Pete
- › Florida Lobster - Out of the kitchen and into... by eastshores