I regularly do the frozen pesto in the ice cube tray trick. Everything but the cheese. It holds its color just fine and is more pungent than the premade stuff. It's farmer's market time here in the upper midwest and you can get great gobs of fresh basil for a song. I make up large batches of pesto, freeze it in ice cube trays immediately and then shuck the frozen cubes into ziplock bags in the freezer. Defrost, mix in your grated cheese and use. You can add more oil if you need to when you add the cheese..
- topicHerbs And Spicestagged by System, 5/23/10
Related Forum Threads
- Measuring? Last post on 4/11/14 at 7:27am in Food & Cooking
- What treat would you buy again and again... Last post on 3/31/14 at 5:23am in Food & Cooking
- Welcome, Spring! Last post on 3/21/14 at 10:05am in Food & Cooking
- Getting started Last post on 3/22/14 at 1:59pm in The Chef's Garden
- Cheap Saffron Last post on 9/19/13 at 7:53pm in Food & Cooking
How To Prepare Fresh Herbs For Cooking
Last edited: 1/10/12
- Top 10 Least Well Known Culinary HerbsLast edited: 5/8/10
- History And Descriptions Of ChiliesLast edited: 3/8/10
- A Standard For All SeasonsLast edited: 2/16/10
- Pepper Profile ChipotlesLast edited: 2/16/10
I have attended NIU for three semesters now and am currently enrolled in its Hospitality Management program. It wasn't my first choice as I was unsure of my education path, but I choose it because...
When I was just embarking on my culinary career I spent a good amount of time working in New Orleans. To this day I still have a fondness for the Cajun and Creole foods I discovered while living...
We use this book for all 6 quarters of the Pastry and Baking program at my school. This book covers the basics from how to use a balance scale and measure out your ingredients all the way to sugar...
This was one of the most fun cookbooks I’ve read in a while. Donna Hay has created a cookbook that will certainly bring a new perspective to your cooking. She advocates the use of fresh,...
Hi I went to the Ferrandi pastry-course last June. The course was exceptionally expensive and it was a real disappointment. The teacher spoke poor English and maybe because of this there was not a...
Why does my fresh basil turn black? - Page 2post #31 of 328/18/11 at 8:05pm
ChefTalk.com Top Pickspost #32 of 3210/16/12 at 3:31pm
- Why does my fresh basil turn black?
- Top 10 Least Well Known Culinary Herbs
Currently, there are 180 Active Users (5 Members and 175 Guests)
- › Commercial Baking 5 minutes ago
- › Personal/Professional Culinary Pet Peeves 10 minutes ago
- › Big deer leg; logistical problem. 15 minutes ago
- › Chef, Santoku, Utility, And Pairing Knives for Untrained Home Cook... 24 minutes ago
- › How can I make and freeze homemade fish sticks with Northern Pike? 25 minutes ago
- › I don't know what your chefs are telling you about The Life, but... 40 minutes ago
- › July 2014 Challenge - Middle East 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
- › whole eggs and type of flour 1 hour, 56 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 3 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › August 2014 Challenge - Eggs 3 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Northern Illinois University Hospitality Administration by JLomb
- › In a While, Crocodile: New Orleans Slow Cooker Recipes by Pete
- › Professional Baking by Naturesbliss
- › Fresh and Light by Cami
- › Ferrandi Paris - The French School of Culinary Arts by pastelle
- › Viking VSC0508 8 Inch Stainless Steel Fry Pan by santoku runner
- › Vita-Mix 1700 Turbo Blend 4500 Countertop Blender with 2+ HP Motor by Roadturn
- › Family Cookbook by Cami
- › New Orleans Classic Cocktails (Classics) by Pete
- › Mountainland Applied Technology College - Culinary Arts by Chef Weller
- › I Met a Guy Named Jim, Just in Time
- › The Dogs of War
- › Boost Your Healthy By Bean Sprouts and...
- › A Shiny Spot in a Grimy Industry
- › Work the line. Or not.
- › Romesco Sauce - Making Bell Peppers Shine
- › Kitchen Facts & Fictional Living: Feeding...
- › On Fad Diets
- › Fried Rice
- › Fried Saimin or Noodles