Hope you enjoy the Chicken San Juan!
CHICKEN SAN JUAN
1 pound chorizo (Spanish sausage) or hot Italian sausage
2 two-and-one-half pound chickens, cut into serving pieces (with gizzards, necks, livers and backs)
1 ½ pounds eggplant, trimmed but unpeeled and cut into one-inch cubes
1 cup green pepper, cut into cubes
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic, or to taste
3 cup chopped fresh, peeled tomatoes (or use imported Italian peeled tomatoes-drained)
1 tablespoon leaf saffron, chopped
1 cup raw rice
2 cups chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place sausage in skillet and cook, turning occasionally until browned.
3. Transfer sausage to a platter. Pour off most of the fat from the skillet. Add the chicken pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown lightly on all sides about 10 minutes.
4. Transfer chicken pieces to the sausage platter.
5. To the skillet, add the eggplant, green peppers, onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly wilted, about 10 minutes.
6. Put chicken, sausage and vegetables from skillet into paella pan. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Put paella pan into preheated 400 degree oven and bake about 40 minutes.
Yield: Six to eight servings
Edited by CREATE - 7/22/10 at 12:09pm