Thanks for the fabulous mushroom tips, shagufta!
Some other hints I've picked up along the way:
- Store mushrooms in your refridgerator's crisper, this allows for air circulation
- Keep them partially covered, but dont cut them off from air supply, they need circulation!
- Use paper bags with noticably pourus surfaces, or poker holes in them as suggested above
- Always use fresh mushrooms within 3 days, or dry them!
- Store dried mushrooms in an air-tight container, air circulation is bad for them, as opposed to fresh mushrooms
- Soak dried mushrooms in water or stock. This liquid is especially delicious and is wonderful in many foods
Hope this helps those aspiring mushroom eaters out there!