Tres Leches Cake
7 large eggs, separated
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ( 14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
¾ cup whipping cream
Fluffy frosting ( see below )
Garnish: grated lemon rind
6 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice ( about ½ lemon)
1. Beat egg yolks, butter, and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until mixture is creamy.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to egg yolk mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold gently into batter. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13 x 9 ? pan.
4. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes.
5. Pierce top of cake several times with a small wooden skewer. Stir together condensed milk, evaporated milk, and cream; gradually pour and spread over warm cake. ( pour about ¼ cup at a time, allowing mixture to soak into cake before pouring more) Let stand 2 hours; cover and chill overnight, if desired. Spread top of cake with Fluffy Frosting before serving. Garnish with lemon rind.
1. Pour water to a depth of 1 ½ inches into bottom of double boiler over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil. Place egg whites and sugar in top of double boiler. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer 5 to 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Gradually pour in corn syrup and lemon juice, beating 7 minutes or until spreading consistency.