Here is my recipe for Cream of Pear & Parsnip Soup... delicious and comforting... guaranteed to please!
Cream of Pear and Parsnip Soup
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound parsnip - halved lengthwise sliced into 1” chunks
1 pound anjou or red pears - peeled, cored, & sliced
1 large onion - diced
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cloves garlic - minced
3 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup heavy cream (or more to taste)
salt and pepper (to taste)
- in 4 quart saucepan melt the butter, add parsnips, pears, onions & brown sugar
- sauté at medium-high heat until onions are translucent
- add the curry powder, all of the spices and the garlic
- cook for about 2 minutes… stirring well.
- pour in the stock and stir until well combined
- cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes… or until the parsnips are tender
- blend w/ immersion blender until smooth
- taste to adjust seasoning
- add cream just before serving and heat to desired temperature (do not boil)
Can be enhanced w/ a drizzle of Pumpkin-infused sour cream made w/ sweetened pumpkin pie filling and sour cream and winter-spiced fried croutons
You can use apples instead of pears if you're not satisfied w/ the quality of available pears.
As far as Hot & Sour Soup... I agree completely that quality vinegar defines the flavor... as well as a variety of dried and fresh mushrooms. My favorite H & S currently has no meat... chock full of mushrooms... finished w/ a squeeze of lime and fresh cilantro leaves... in fact I want some right now!