- topicCooking Lobstertagged by Nicko, 3/28/14
- itemLobster at Hometagged by Nicko, 3/28/14
- itemLobsters Scream When You Boil Them: And 100 Other Myths About Food and Cooking . . . Plus 25 Recipes to Get It Right Every Timetagged by Nicko, 3/28/14
Related Forum Threads
- Cooking Live Lobster Last post on 11/28/12 at 6:31am in Food & Cooking
- What to serve with lobster.. Last post on 11/14/08 at 11:39am in Food & Cooking
- Can I freeze raw lobster to use later? Last post on 9/21/07 at 2:48pm in Food & Cooking
- Lobster Recipe....NEED HELP! Last post on 6/22/05 at 12:31pm in Recipes
- What temperature to cook sous vide lobster and for how long? Last post on 10/10/14 at 1:30pm in Food & Cooking
How To Buy and Store Lobster
Last edited: 3/20/14
- How To Tell If A Lobster is Male or FemaleLast edited: 3/20/14
- Florida Lobster - Out of the kitchen and into the Ocean!Last edited: 9/19/13
- How To Cook LobsterLast edited: 1/7/12
So far im loving this school this is just my first semester so i can't judge to much but coming from my last school henry ford community college schoolcraft community college is so much better the...
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
mushy lobster tailspost #1 of 812/30/07 at 9:58pmThread StarterHi all! My restaurant serves 22 ounce australian lobster tails. Occasionally , the finished tail has an incredibly unattractive mushy texture, I believe this is a result of freezing, thawing, and refreezing, however thee is another opinion that lobsters release an enzyme as a defense mechanism. As this only occurs with 2 out of every hundred tails or so, I'm not entirely sure what to think of this theory. Are there any lobster experts willing to teach an old dog something new?post #2 of 812/31/07 at 1:42ampost #3 of 81/1/08 at 6:34am
Mushy crustaceanDo get a refund that stuff is expensive!
I understand it has to do with the diet or the fact that they are in a reprodcutive state that affects texture.
I have had that experience with some fish, monkfish, sword etc.
My fishmonger said what I shared above. Its not your M O P.
It could well have been dead as well!
I also know there is a differnce in meat texture between warm water and cold water lobster (and price) I beleive cold water is best.
That is someting I need to learn more about, among other things.post #4 of 81/1/08 at 9:24pmWell we serve a lot of lobster tails, 5oz and 8oz to be exact.
A lot of times i notice with the larger ones, when you crack them you can feel the meat that will produce a "mushy" texture, this happens a lot to us, enough that our servers know what to say.
You can not really avoid it, i do know when we were getting "Ice glazed" tails they were a lot more prone to have this issue.post #5 of 81/2/08 at 3:57amwell, i know that freezing and re freezing can cause the texture to be as such. ice crystals that form from an ordinary freezer are larger and therefore puncture cell walls causing a mushy texture (same thing happens to fruit that is frozen and defrosted). ideally, the crustacean is flash frozen in order to have the smallest ice crystals as possible.
another reason can be that the lobster was dead with its head on for a significant amount of time. i know that shrimp with their heads attatched and frozen will produce a mushy texture because of an enzyme in the head that is released after death and decomposes the body. that's why our restaurant always gets their shrimp without their heads attatched.post #6 of 81/4/08 at 8:58amIf they are dead lobster then you would almost certanly get a few cases of food poisoning, thats why they should always be cooked alive. However a lobster can live for a long time out of water and i would suggest that the reason for the occasional mushy lobster is over cooking of a stale but sill alive lobster. Some times lobsters kept in tanks for a long period of time will go the same way this can be down to lack of food.
Steve masterchefinfrance.compost #7 of 812/11/14 at 3:05pmI get all my lobster fresh from the fisherman. I have been out with them. I still get mushy from time to time. I am boiling 2 -4 at a time and 1 will be mushy.
I do question the fisherman not putting them on ice after they Hawaiin sling them.
I will be on Eleuthera for the holidays. I am giving them an ice chest and ice.
I will report back,
Fritz from Louisianapost #8 of 812/12/14 at 9:26am
Lobsters molt and they can do this mostly at certain times of the year but it varies according to temperature and the species. If the lobster you are about to buy has give in the shell or is soft do not buy it. The colder the water the better the lobster.
I lived on the pacific at a spot where lobsters were plentiful. I never caught a soft one. I never cooked one that was dead. Lobsters have an antifreeze and will stay several day alive even at 4 degrees F in your freezer (they just slow way down).
Many places sell lobsters from pens. These may spend some time there. While there, the lobster is losing mass in its flesh. The longer in captivity, the less desirable these become unless they are being fed a proper lobster feed.
- mushy lobster tails
- How To Tell If A Lobster is Male or Female
- › Utah Jello Haiku contest 16 minutes ago
- › Pricing coffee service 20 minutes ago
- › Introduction and Need for Help! 41 minutes ago
- › slow cooker vs oven braise vs pressure cooker 57 minutes ago
- › How To Make An Amazing Tuna Fish Sandwich? 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › turkey 1 hour, 46 minutes ago
- › Shared kitchen space in the Denver area 3 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Help finding commercial kitchen 3 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › kitchen rental 4 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Nakiri vs Kiritsuke $200 or less 4 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked