Related Forum Threads
- new grilling job, I guess you can call it a try out.... Last post on 4/12/10 at 8:40pm in Professional Chefs
- Grilled Shitake Mushrooms Last post on 2/17/10 at 2:51pm in Recipes
Grilling 101 Part 3 The Art Of Barbecue And Indirect Grilling
Last edited: 8/5/10
I'm heading into my 4th summer with this factory refurbished machine. It has been reliable and does the job it is intended to do very well, though a bit loudly. I use it heavily during the summer...
Overall, since purchasing this knife, I have not been disappointed at all. The highlights, begin with the rounded hilt and blade top, which reduce the stress on the palms and make calluses a...
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
Grilling this summer?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
As soon as I get my sorry self away from this computer, I'm going out to get the charcoal started. Tonight is turkey burgers with sharp provolone and red bell pepper. Also a test batch of a grilled eggplant and portabella salad that may be what I take on this tuesday's dinner hike, we'll see how it turns out.
Too bad I forgot to get decent charcoal yesterday, have to suffer with that Kingsford stuff for tonight, drat!
In the summer, all my family members and relatives will gather on a villa, then we will starting the "Grilling Party".
Note: It's a all night long Grilling party, yeah it's kind of crazy but it's a fact.
We're busting out the grill tonight because, well, it's summer! Planning dinner tonight inspired me to think about my favorite things to grill... What are yours?
I'll start.... a nice cut of prime rib, just thrown on the BBQ with a generous sprinkle of coarse salt and pepper, plus fresh corn and grilled sourdough. Mmmmmmm....
Add another one to year-round grilling.
I've used only charcoal until recently, when I broke down and bought a gas grill---just makes it easier when you're only cooking for two most of the time.
Tonight will be grilled swordfish chermoula served on a bed of curried grilled corn puree, with grilled bok choy as a side.
Bought a bunch of whole chickens on sale for grilling. first on the list is a jerk chicken. we're using the recipe from "the barbecue bible's sauces, rubs and marinades". sounds like it's gonna be a winner.
not sure about the rest of them, 5 more in total. I'm definitely thinking smoke a whole chicken...
I love to grill eggplant and onions, but tonight it's some rather thin pork chops that I rubbed with my own mixture (brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, etc.). The sweet corn, trucked in from I don't know where- northern Georgia, maybe- and some cubed canteloupe, and it's a typical summer meal for us. Corn is a treat, as its carb content is rather high for me, so I savor it. RPMcMurphy and lolamb10, my grill is a battered old Weber gas grill that I hope to replace next year. I want one that has the gas burners arranged so that I can use indirect heat more easily. The burners now run across the width- there's little room to cook a roast or turkey.
***It is better to ask forgiveness than beg permission.***
***It is better to ask forgiveness than beg permission.***
Mezz, take a look at the gas-grill thread over on the equipment forum.
You can get some great deals on gas grills right now. Maybe not the Webers---which tend to be high-end and price controlled. But there are other quality makers out there, at more affordible prices.
My new Char-Broil, for instance---5 regular burners, a sear burner, and a side burner. Regular price at Meijer: $259.
Last night I did a pork loin, using indirect heat, and it came out perfectly.
RPM - nice looking 'que and great pics too, the food looks beautiful.
We had both a gas one and a charcoal one before we moved and almost always opted for the gas. Flavour not quite as "authentic" as the charcoal, but time always seems short around here.
Favourite bbq foods - too many to mention, but some are:
- lamb loin or chump chops (leave the fat on please!) marinaded any number of ways
- chump chops cubed and marinated in greek or asian (e.g. Teriyaki) flavours, we leave these to soak in fridge overnight
- halved lemons/;i,e. done cut in half face down on bbq till caremilsed to squeeze over the lamb once done.
- Same sort of ideas for chicken & pork as for lamb.
- Vegie kebabs - mushrooms, zucchine, toms, onions, capsicums etc etc. Pimeapple I don't use (don't like it) but many use it. Seasoned with pepper makes it interesting. For non-vegetarians some bacon rolls inbetween other pieces on skewer are verrrry nice.
- big meaty tomatoes halved, seasoned, sprinkle cut side with a little brown sugar
- Haloumi cheese works nicely, doesn't melt away, just oil and season.
- Fish (either whole or fillets) in foil with slivered ginger, spring oinions, teriyaki sauce - that sort of thing.
- and last but not least - scotch fillet steak, just oiled and seasoned. Get it nice and blue just basically the grid marks, sear the edges quickly, take off pronto.
- Grilling this summer?
- › Making chicken fettuccine Alfredo with broccoli for 150 people 11 minutes ago
- › Are patena's good or bad? 13 minutes ago
- › When to sharpen? 14 minutes ago
- › Recomendations for fine dining cookbooks for South American,... 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › Pastry Dough Shrinking After Cutting Using Reversible Sheeter.... 3 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Hot dog recall 3 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › May 2017 Cooking Challenge: Fish! 5 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › Pressure cookers.. 10 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Hello guys! 10 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › Graduating Soon: Need advise on dealing with depression/ Mental... 11 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt,... by ChicagoTerry
- › Friedr. Dick 1905 Exclusive Series 10-Inch Chef's Knife by JVKolich
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise