Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
I graduated in '95 and went back this past Thanksgiving w my 9yo daughter. We eat at the French restaurant, Escoffier. It was great! You get what you pay for. The problem is that many of the...
I attended the professional chef course chef at Italian Chef Academy in Rome chef academy course in January 2017 and both chefs and cooking lessons were fantastic. I have just finished my...
A very good way to get into Japanese blades since very good bang for the buck. Familiar blade and handle shape. Very good steel, comes with and keeps a good sharp edge ... but if you need to touch...
I picked up the Miyabi 8" chef's (600D) as an upgrade to my Henckels when I found it on sale and was not disappointed. Feels a bit lighter and more agile in the hand compared to the Germans since...
Wüsthof is one of the "big name" Germans for a reason, over 200 years. Their professional tier lines are all solid, and the choice may end up being just personal taste over the exact look/material...
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
- › Sheppards Pie 44 minutes ago
- › Ideas for sauce. 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › I'm fired...I think? 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › Chefs to Watch and Learn from? 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › How to cut up a tomato 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › soft tortilla woes-tooooooo many crackers instead 1 hour, 43 minutes ago
- › Looking to make a career move 2 hours, 56 minutes ago
- › Topping for a flourless chocolate cake 4 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Any macaron fans? 4 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 5 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Global 8-Inch 20cm Cook's Knife by NikoBleau
- › John Boos Newton Prep Master Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board... by ChrisLehrer
- › The Art of French Pastry by Jacquy Pfeiffer by OCDshaver
- › Norton 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India... by Scott Livesey
- › The Board Smith Maple 2″x12″x18″ by tobe999
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise
- › A "No Turkey" Thanksgiving-Roast Pork