Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
I bought this as an experiment and I am very happy with it. As I have tried it for cooking more things, it has exceeded my expectations. I can sautee at a high or low temperature, I can simmer...
I had seen these before but thought they were too limited in use. Then a friend gave me this one. It converted me with the first use. A bit of a downward chop from one end and rocking rolling...
Almost 6 years ago we purchased this slicer and it's still going strong. I believe I originally posted something in equipment reviews so hopefully, this can serve as an update. The first item...
Last year, we had some money remaining on a gift card and while we purchased this item almost as an impulse and what a terrific find it was. Already owning a truly great large capacity food...
Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) in Boston MA, offers both certificate and A.S. degree programs in both Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts. Although BHCC has an enrollment of over 12,000...
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
- › Unplanned inventions of great things 11 minutes ago
- › Bread recipe for making buns?? 23 minutes ago
- › February 2015 Challenge - Fungi! 38 minutes ago
- › Does Saffron Go Bad? cooking ideas.... 47 minutes ago
- › This is a new low for my new local grocery store. 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Italian chef Mario 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › Pie shell : Home ec trick 1 hour, 28 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 1 hour, 41 minutes ago
- › Hello 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › Can you substitute olive oil or any other vegetable oil with butter? 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › Presto 06626 11 inch Electric Skillet w/glass lid by OregonYeti
- › American Metalcraft PKR20 Stainless Steel Rocker Pizza Knife, 20-Inch by phatch
- › Chef's Choice 662 International Professional Electric Food... by oldschool1982
- › Cuisinart CGC-4BCPC - Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor by oldschool1982
- › Bunker Hill Community College - Culinary Arts Program by Joyo
- › Demeyere 7-ply pans by ChrisBelgium
- › Le Creuset Magnetik by ChrisBelgium
- › Savage Supply Co. "Rocco" Knife Roll by Jim Berman
- › Better Than Bouillon - Clam Base - 8 oz. by chefedb
- › Nutri Bullet NBR-12 12-Piece Hi-Speed Blender/Mixer System by PassTheGravy
- › Leaving the Business: The Dark Side
- › Infiltrating The Kitchen!
- › Perfect Choux Pastry
- › The Secret to a Sexy Fettuccine Alfredo
- › Milanese Creamy Pesto
- › Steak Cooking 101 (home/indoor) by a Pro
- › Chef shortcuts for holiday goodies
- › Forgotten Christmas Candy - Divinity and...
- › Der Kuchen
- › Keeping Great Employees