Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
I'm in the Foods Program at Saddleback Community College and my experiences thus far have been fantastic! Classes usually meet once a week for 5 hours. This gives the student ample time to prepare...
I've experimented with juicing over the years, not as a lifestyle by any means, but I do believe science backs up the fact that many vegetables have nutritional value that is lost during the...
Keep an eye out for discounts, I purchased two of these units and one of the two I was able to score a coupon code for a $50.00 discount! Sous Vide gear has been consistently coming down in...
The best recipes to prepare at home are not always those found on the latest cooking program or come from trying to replicate the goodness found at the hottest restaurant. Some recipes may even be...
I graduated in 1984 when tuition was about $8000 per year, expensive at the time. Back then there were fewer culinary programs around the country than there are now. CIA was considered the Harvard...
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
- › Sous vide vegetables trial run 12 minutes ago
- › Mushy French Fries 30 minutes ago
- › October 2014 Challenge - Stew 44 minutes ago
- › Oil Mixture Question 48 minutes ago
- › September 2014 Challenge - Rice 48 minutes ago
- › Creativity 53 minutes ago
- › Should I use water or seafood/fish stock when making a seafood stew? 2 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › corned beef is TOUGH!!!! 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › Which Culinary/ Pastry/Baking Schools in Canada, France, Switzerland? 2 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Oxidized Meats: What is it and how to prevent it? 2 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › Saddleback College - Food and Nutrition Department by robstathem
- › Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Commercial Masticating Juicer, Black... by eastshores
- › Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator (Black) by eastshores
- › Polish Classic Recipes (Classics Series) by Jim Berman
- › Johnson and Wales University - Providence, RI by chefwriter
- › The Art Institute of California - Hollywood by ChefTorres87
- › J.A. Henckels International Forged Synergy 8-Inch Chef's Knife by 13krama
- › The Complete Guide to Northern Gulf Seafood by Pete
- › MAC MTH-80 8" Chef's Knife w/ Dimples by LovelyFeyd
- › John Boos Reversible End Grain Maple Chopping Block, 20 by 15 by... by wwatt7262