Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
The International culinary school at the Art Institute of San Francisco is an expensive for profit culinary school. I am a current student in his last quarter and about to graduate with an...
I am a career changer, which can be hard for any and almost everyone. As a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, I can honestly say that they helped me with a smooth transition and actually cared if I...
A great school to go to if you are serious about becoming something more than a line cook in your life. Only approached by the strong of heart cause they take good cooks and turn them into...
If you take a trip to your local outdoor or sporting goods store, you will find a plethora of portable grills, but every once in a while, a design comes along that makes you say, “Why didn’t I...
I find HRC as a perfect match for someone looking for Culinary study in europe at a LOW COST
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
- › What did you have for dinner? 43 minutes ago
- › Keep unused breadcrumbs from a batch used to make fried chicken? 44 minutes ago
- › How do get bubbles not to form under foundant on cakes 50 minutes ago
- › I would like to propose...... 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › Little help please 1 hour, 59 minutes ago
- › Handheld Meter & Probes 2 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Carry over cooking information requested 4 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › House made sparking water/seltzer ? 4 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › How to study/memorize a menu for job. 4 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Cruise Ship Kitchen (video) 5 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › The Art Institute of California - San Francisco by stevenvhayden
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by flacook
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by MichaelJKane
- › Pop Up Grill Barbecue portable télescopique 280 mm by Pete
- › HRC Culinary Academy, Bulgaria by konvict
- › Escoffier Online International Culinary Academy by Anthony Eugenio
- › Chinese Garnishes / Adornos Chinos: With Platter Arrangements / Con... by MillionsKnives
- › Mercer Cutlery Genesis 8-Inch Chef's Knife by harrisonh
- › Umami: The Fifth Taste by ChefTorres87
- › J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College by the1culinarykid
- › Pineapple How To
- › Family Meal: Feeding the Crew on the Cheap
- › Restaurant Menus: The chorus of the kitchen
- › Kitchen Technology: Internet of Things is Not...
- › Managing the Management: How Cooks Can Cope
- › True Cooks
- › What does Shake Shack's ChickenStack...
- › On the Road with Dega Catering and the Dave...
- › Fourth of July: What Would George Eat?
- › How to add a culinary school to ChefTalk.com