Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
The best recipes to prepare at home are not always those found on the latest cooking program or come from trying to replicate the goodness found at the hottest restaurant. Some recipes may even be...
I graduated in 1984 when tuition was about $8000 per year, expensive at the time. Back then there were fewer culinary programs around the country than there are now. CIA was considered the Harvard...
First I should say that I went here in 2010 and dropped out in 2013. I fell in love with Japanese Cuisine and after staging at a Japanese restaurant for free for one day, I learned everything I...
I am a culinary student and this was my first knife I ever had. I loved the way the handle was shaped and loved the weight I felt in my hand. The blade stays sharp and is a great length. After just...
I've been on a bit of New Orleans Cajun and Creole kick with my cookbook reviews recently so I thought I'd stray a bit, although not too far and review a cookbook about seafood that can be found...
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
- › fryer oil 7 minutes ago
- › Proper use of meat thermometer? 11 minutes ago
- › Would you every buy an Electric knife? 12 minutes ago
- › Throwback Thursday Retro Cuisine 41 minutes ago
- › So, What are You Fermenting??? 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › September 2014 Challenge - Rice 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Cooks - Oakwood Canadian Bistro 2 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Have you already heard about Nesmuk knives? What do you think about... 2 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Best concentrated beef, chicken or veg base 3 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Induction Cooktop Comparison 3 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Polish Classic Recipes (Classics Series) by Jim Berman
- › Johnson and Wales University - Providence, RI by chefwriter
- › The Art Institute of California - Hollywood by ChefTorres87
- › J.A. Henckels International Forged Synergy 8-Inch Chef's Knife by 13krama
- › The Complete Guide to Northern Gulf Seafood by Pete
- › MAC MTH-80 8" Chef's Knife w/ Dimples by LovelyFeyd
- › John Boos Reversible End Grain Maple Chopping Block, 20 by 15 by... by wwatt7262
- › Northern Illinois University Hospitality Administration by JLomb
- › In a While, Crocodile: New Orleans Slow Cooker Recipes by Pete
- › Professional Baking by Naturesbliss