Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
This is only based upon the campus tour. I plan on updating as I go through the culinary program, starting in July 16 Living in NYC you have two choices. ICC, and ICE. So my first tour was...
What can I say? There is not one person who has ever held a pan that will deny the beauty of well made copper cookware. Whether you like using copper or not, I think we can all at least agree...
The Kikuichi Swedish Damascus Warikomi 9.5 inch is a fine example of Japanese craftsmanship. Everything from the hand forged blade to the precise, yet, simple handle drips with quality. With a...
Disclaimer: I got one of these Codream colanders for free to review, but my opinions good bad or ugly are always my own. It's available on Amazon for $15.99 at the time of review A...
Jende has provided me, via Cheftalk, their White Ceramic Steel for review. From their YouTube channel, I learned this white one is about 1200 grit, and they sell a black version that is 1500 grit....
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
- › Steamer 5 minutes ago
- › What stones are you using? 15 minutes ago
- › Equipment Experiments 19 minutes ago
- › What Is Better, Canned or Dehydrated Mushrooms? 19 minutes ago
- › Get me the secret to Popeyes' chicken 30 minutes ago
- › Fried Chicken Woes 44 minutes ago
- › interview questions 1 hour, 43 minutes ago
- › Burnt - The Movie 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › FASTA PASTA SPAG BOL RECIPE????? 2 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Slow Cooker. How to choose? 2 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Institute of Culinary Education (New York) by m00chness
- › Mauviel M250 Tin Lined 8pc Copper Cookware by Virgil
- › Kikuichi 9.5" Nickel Sweden Warikomi Damascus Chef's Knife by Virgil
- › Codream® Micro Perforated Stainless Steel Colander 5 Quart with... by MillionsKnives
- › Jende White Ceramic Steel by MillionsKnives
- › Burger Press- Best Hamburger Press From Motamayez Home Made of... by Grunch92
- › Yamada iron launch one hand wok (thickness 1.2mm) 33cm (japan import) by MillionsKnives
- › Sullivan University, Louisville, KY by hashbrownclown
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by emilycooksretro
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by rpmiller