Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
I recently had the joy of picking up "The German Kitchen" by Christopher and Catherine Knuth and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The book's tag line is "Traditional Recipes,...
Instructions to the Cook Bernard Glassman & Rick Fields Reviewed by Jim Berman Guilty! I judged a book by its cover. I was in between titles, waiting for Ivan Ramen and the new Rene...
Ever since my first day of culinary school over 15 years ago I had thought of a product like this. A comfortable and ROOMY knife bag that can hold all of my knives, gadgets and my laptop. Being a...
For quite a while the neighborhood bakery seemed to be dying out, just like the neighborhood butcher and other individually-owned businesses. Along with this unfortunate trend was the loss of the...
It’s hard to imagine Julia Childs as anything other than a famous chef and author—her persona just seems to radiate Kitchen-chic. Yet, the story of Julia finding herself is richer than you would...
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
- › Cooking Tomatillo's in What? 26 minutes ago
- › colored cauliflower 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › UGH. So frustrated with knife shopping, I am ready to just get a... 2 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Knee Deep in Flour in NYC 2 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › How long before working saute? 2 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Hi I'm a young aspiring chef in need of some advice! 2 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › hachiya persimmons drying out before softening 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › New Pressure Cooker & Frustration 3 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Best knives??? 3 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Bun Toaster? Electricity costs? 3 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › The German Kitchen: Traditional Recipes, Regional Favorites by Pete
- › Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a... by Jim Berman
- › ChefPak by Pepperedfig
- › The Brown Betty Cookbook by prtybrd
- › Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child by BenRias
- › The Book Of Yogurt by Pete
- › Meat A Benign Extravagance by Fairlie, Simon [Chelsea Green,2010]... by hwood
- › Sun Bread and Sticky Toffee: Date Desserts from Everywhere by Cami
- › The Professional Bakeshop by Jim Berman
- › Shun Classic 6-1/2-Inch Stainless-Steel Nakiri Knife by Mark Hernen
- › A November Sunday in Torremolinos by ChrisBelgium
- › Orange Sherbet by Jim Berman
- › Malaga, a walk along tapa bars by ChrisBelgium
- › The First Timer's Guide to Roasting a... by Pete
- › A Brining We Shall Do by kaneohegirlinaz
- › Espresso + Gelato: The first in a series on... by Jim Berman
- › My Evening With Durangojo by kaneohegirlinaz
- › Polenta's Potential Predicated by ChefMannyDLM
- › Making Sauerkraut by Pete
- › Florida Lobster - Out of the kitchen and into... by eastshores