Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
I have to say it never occurred to me that such a unit would exist until I was working at one of my companies events and they had a catered breakfast in which the caterers would cook omelets to...
WARNING!!! Want to lose your money? Welcome to Italian Chef Academy! If you read this message before choose the school,please close their website and forget you've ever seen it - I wish somebody...
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
- › Herbs? 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › It's that time of year again 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › Natto 1 hour, 41 minutes ago
- › Rotisserie rib of beef 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › Licensed Caterer 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Most Hated Cookbook? 2 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › How Long Will A Compund Butter Last? - Garlic Butter 2 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Memoir-type chef books 2 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Indoor Herb Garden 2 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 2 hours, 53 minutes ago
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked
- › Professional Baking by Daniel Benitez
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by backtobasics2
- › Pastitsio-Greek "Lasagna"
- › Corn Fritters with Peach Salsa
- › Watermelon Limeade
- › Tomato Basil Pasta
- › Melon & Feta Salad
- › Bacon & Corn Relish
- › How To Make Old Fashioned NY Sour Corn Rye Bread
- › Want to customize your uniform? Know your...
- › Elotes-Corn on the Cob, Mexican Style
- › The BLT-A Case for Food Snobbery