Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
This sweet baby was my daily knife on the line for about two years.The grip is intuitive and lightweight and the knife just has a great action. She holds an edge for a surprisingly long amount of...
I have been through three butcher blocks by this company and each one has developed hairline cracks. The butcher block, on the whole, seems well made and has held up well. No warping, easy on...
I have attended NIU for three semesters now and am currently enrolled in its Hospitality Management program. It wasn't my first choice as I was unsure of my education path, but I choose it because...
When I was just embarking on my culinary career I spent a good amount of time working in New Orleans. To this day I still have a fondness for the Cajun and Creole foods I discovered while living...
We use this book for all 6 quarters of the Pastry and Baking program at my school. This book covers the basics from how to use a balance scale and measure out your ingredients all the way to sugar...
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
- › Chef Contract Advice 1 minute ago
- › A customer paid for a picture of each desert on tonights' menu, twice! 4 minutes ago
- › Bread Pudding? 33 minutes ago
- › Chefs Rides 45 minutes ago
- › August 2014 Challenge - Eggs 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › Cooking a steak 1 hour, 54 minutes ago
- › Loaded with eggplant, what's a fast dish to use it in? 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › International Culinary Center or Institute of Culinary Education as... 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Who has a nice crouton recipe/technique...? 2 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Day old donuts in cookie recipe 3 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › MAC MTH-80 8" Chef's Knife w/ Dimples by LovelyFeyd
- › John Boos Reversible End Grain Maple Chopping Block, 20 by 15 by... by wwatt7262
- › Northern Illinois University Hospitality Administration by JLomb
- › In a While, Crocodile: New Orleans Slow Cooker Recipes by Pete
- › Professional Baking by Naturesbliss
- › Fresh and Light by Cami
- › Ferrandi Paris - The French School of Culinary Arts by pastelle
- › Viking VSC0508 8 Inch Stainless Steel Fry Pan by santoku runner
- › Vita-Mix 1700 Turbo Blend 4500 Countertop Blender with 2+ HP Motor by Roadturn
- › Family Cookbook by Cami
- › Inspiration
- › A Brief Tour of American Barbecue
- › Emotions Storm in the Culinary Industry
- › I Met a Guy Named Jim, Just in Time
- › The Dogs of War
- › Boost Your Healthy By Bean Sprouts and...
- › A Shiny Spot in a Grimy Industry
- › Work the line. Or not.
- › Romesco Sauce - Making Bell Peppers Shine
- › Kitchen Facts & Fictional Living: Feeding...