Related Forum Threads
- Vegetarian Cookbooks Last post on 9/17/11 at 1:03pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Review Reader Poll Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:00am in Cookbook Reviews
- Help w/ Veggie Burger Recipe Last post on 4/19/11 at 9:19pm in Food & Cooking
- Looking for cookbook with recipes to turn daily humdrum meals into flavor rich dishes Last post on 3/18/11 at 1:12pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Stockpot Recommendations from New England Soup Factory Last post on 10/17/12 at 9:32am in Cooking Equipment Reviews
Works perfectly as intended. Do not buy this for chefs ninja stars, it doesnt work at all. It does handle high heat however as it landed in a fryer
Honestly for something to measure oven temps shouldnt shatter like mine have, but for the price what can i expect. Perfectly accurate, place in a steel steam table pan to prevent glass from going...
It's much more than a collection of recipes. In this book Kenji explains cooking techniques and the science behind them. Also ingredients and how to find them, how to use them. For many...
I had an overall positive experience at Le Cordon Bleu-Mexico. Their courses are really hands-on and you are always spending time in the kitchen and showing off your skills and your learning...
For a person who was too busy to cook and ate only at fast foods...it was worth the effort to really appreciate food and cooking by enrolling in the Le Cordon Bleu and graduating in 1982. I...
Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
I have several dozen vegetarian cookbooks, and have read at least that many more. Lot's of good ones out there. But my two favorites are:
1.Gardener's Community Cookbook, compiled and written by Victoria Wise. This is a compendium of how gardener/cooks use the veggies that they grow. Lot's of creative uses found here.
2. A Barnes & Nobel book simply titled Vegetarian. It contains more than 300 recipes from all over the world, ranging from the simple to the sophisticated. I found it on a remaindered table, so you may have to search for it. But well worth having, IMO.
As you conduct your own search, don't neglect the single-topic books, such as James McNair's Squash Cookbook.
I will third (fourth?) the Moosewoods and add that Madhurs Jaffrery books do a lot of vege food as well as does a lot of East Indian cuisine. As Bourdain said when in the area..."Vegetarian doesn't have to suck."
"The Vegetarian Bistro" by Marlena Spieler is a wonderful cookbook. I am in no way a vegetarian, but this is one of my favorites. Classic french regional cooking and all veg. Apparently she traveled all over France eating and gathered everything veg she could find.According to the book, Spieler herself is not vegetarian, but her touring companion was and she found herself in some unique situations.
Good stories, even better recipes, great book!
While Mark Bittman is a legend in his own mind, many of us here are not particularly enamoured of his writing (how's that for being diplomatic, guys?). So it's no surprise nobody mentioned that book---which, as you say, is not the best cookbook in the world. Indeed, even among vegetarian cookbooks, it's not even in the running for "best."
- Any good Vegeterian cookbooks?
ChefTalk.com Top Picks
- › Cooking at home for profit 44 minutes ago
- › Acorn Squash - roasting - cut side down? 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Slow roasting turkey... time and temperature? 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › Not All Home Cooks Get It Perfect 2 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Smith sharpening kit (the one with the rods) 2 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Parting out duck 2 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Hello world! 2 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › Rookie At the Bar 2 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › Tanaka Blue 2 Damascus Gyuto 240mm With Custom Octagonal Bubinga 2 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › What do chefs eat at home? 3 hours, 1 minute ago
- › #22 *TWO PACK* Replacement Knife Blade for Meat Grinder. Hobart,... by Markrmoore2
- › Rubbermaid Commercial FGTHO550 Stainless Steel Oven Monitoring... by Markrmoore2
- › The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by MillionsKnives
- › Le Cordon Bleu Mexico by Maria1233
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by karenlhall
- › The International Culinary Center - New York by Chef-Nicholas
- › Professional Cooking by motty
- › Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Pâtisserie by FollowUrHeart
- › The Art Institute of California - San Francisco by stevenvhayden
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by MichaelJKane
- › Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Dried...
- › Cranberry Old Fashioned
- › Holiday Sangria
- › Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash-Thanksgiving...
- › Spicy Sweet Potato Gratin
- › Roasted Beets with Garlic and Onions
- › Pumpking Cranberry Coffeecake
- › Hot Chocolate for the Family
- › Curried Squash Soup
- › Tomato Braised Cauliflower Curry