So many people wanted to pick Crawfish.... ME TOO! Overall I think crawfish are sweeter and more flavorful than most other bugs out there. =)
And the difference between a frozen crawfish and a fresh caught is big. I though I loved them when I was getting them frozen and just reheating them in a spicy boil. But then I started trapping them and wow...that first bite was heaven.
You really can't beat camping by a lake at dusk and sitting outside the tent with a beer suck'n on crawfish heads!:D Plus catching your own food lets you appreciate it a little better.
Here's how I do Crawfish:
In a 5 gallon turkey fryer rig:
- 1 lb. butter
- 3 large yellow onions halved
- 4 large boxes of crab boil - I like the commercial stuff just as much as home made
- 4 lemons pressed for juice plus the rind
- 2 bottles of a crisp lager
- Enough water to fill the pot 2/3 full
Boil this for 10 minutes to let the flavors bloom. Take out the lemon carcasses so it doesn't get too bitter. Add salt until you think its just a bit too salty and then Add:
- 2 lbs. Polish Sausage
- 2 lbs. Red Potatoes split into big chunks
- 4 ears of corn broken in half
Boil this until the potatoes are just underdone and add crawfish. I just add them in until the pots seems full! =) Or I run out of crawfish. Boil for 5 minutes and then turn off the gas. Let everything sit with the lid on for 15 minutes or so to let the boil seasoning soak in.
After that you... EAT!