I do a simple written test and a cooking test if they pass on the interview and written test.
my written test does change but goes something like this-
1. Who invented the brigade system? Escoffier
2. What is a consommé? Clarified broth made from stock and can be made into a soup. Usually is richly flavored.
2 a. Explain the step to make a consommé- Make a quality stock, once cooled, mix together mirepoix and other vegetables and herbs as needed. To that add protein such as beef, chicken, duck, etc & egg whites, add this to chilled stock, stir throughly and bring to a simmer, once raft has formed, make a hole to let the stock filter through raft. Strain through cheesecloth, skim and done.
3. What is a roux? thickening agent made from equal parts butter and flour Explain how to make a roux- heat clarified butter, then stir in flour, cook roughly 2 minutes for a white roux.
4.Which roux has the most thickening strength? white roux
5.Do you use salt when blanching green or red vegetables? Green
6. How does salt affect boiling water? Elevates boiling temperature and seasons it.
7. What is Mesclun? type of mixed greens
8.How many teaspoons are in a tablespoon? 3
9.What temperatures do you cook the following item to?
c) Medium rare NY Strip-130-135
d) pork- pink- 140. through -160
10.What are the basic ingredients to make a hollandaise? Egg yolks, butter(clarified), lemon juice, water( or white wine if you prefer), cayenne( or tabasco), S&P.
11. Name all 5 mother sauces- Bechamel, Espanole, Veloute, Hollandaise, Tomato
11 a. name 1 derivative of each mother sauce-
Allemande, Perifueux, Cardinal, Provencal, Choron
12. List how items should be stacked on a speed rack with raw chicken, fish,& beef, cooked rice and cooked turkey?
top to bottom- Rice, Turkey, fish, beef, chicken
13. What is the ideal cooler temperature? 36-37
14. Explain what FIFO stands for? First in first out.
15.If all prep is done and no tables to order what should you do? Clean, organize the walk-in, check prep and order lists, stay busy.
16.What is a remouillage? reusing bones that have already been used to make a stock, will result in a weaker stock.
17. Explain how to make a glace from stock? Reduce until thick, skim and strain.
18. Basic ingredients to a Chicken stock? chicken bones, cold water, mirepoix, parsley. aromatics( bay leaves, thyme, garlic, peppercorns, clove etc)
19. How long do you have to cool down a soup, sauce, or stock? as quick as possible but has to be down to 70 in 2 hours and below 40 in another 4. If not discard
20. List proper steps to storing prepped food or sauces? Cool rapidly, transfer to cambro or appropriate container, label and date, cover with lid or plastic, and place in designated place in cooler or walk-in.