I'm checking Shirley Corriher's Cookwise
. She says that to make 1 cup of medium-thickness sauce, use 2 1/4 teaspoons of potato starch; this will be a clear sauce. Other equivalents are:
For an opaque sauce:
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon rice starch
For a clear sauce:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons potato starch
- 1tablespoon + 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon tapioca starch (Asian market)
- 1 tablespoon + 1/4 teaspoon quick tapioca pudding (supermarket)
For a thin sauce use 1 tablespoon of flour per cup; for thick, use 3 tablespoons of flour per cup. You'd need to convert the others in the same way: use half as much for a thin sauce, use 1 1/2 times as much for a thick sauce.
Are you okay doing the math to convert for your starch of choice? If not, tell us
- how much potato starch the recipe calls for, and
- which starch you want to use instead.
Then we can help with the conversion. :D