› ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Equipment Reviews › saute pan with helper handle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

saute pan with helper handle

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
i am looking to replace my 11'' saute pan, it's a nonstick, which is why i want to replace it, and i want a tri ply if possible.
although as i am also looking to the future, i think the weight of an all clad will be way too much for me in about 15 years.
i have been reading around the forums here, and almost bought a henckel 3 quart, J.A. Henckels International Classic Clad 3-Quart Saute Pan with Lid, but realized it doesn't have a helper handle on the opposite side from the handle.
the next size up does (5 quart)
but it's also more then twice the money
does anyone have any suggestions?
Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless 3-Quart Sauté Pan with Glass Lid does have one but is 159.

that extra handle is wonderful when you are tilting the pan.

i love my saute pan, i use it as a frying pan, as a pan to reduce sauces in, and even for stove top casseroles as well as stews
so any suggestions would be appreciated

thank you
post #2 of 9
If you're looking for tri-ply try the Cuisinart version which is currently price for $77 at amazon. Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Stainless 5-1/2-Quart Saute with Helper and Cover: Kitchen & Dining
For all intents and purposes it's the same as the Calphalon. I have a few pieces of Calphalon tri-ply and a few Cuisinart mutliclad pro and the only material differences are the lid and handle. The Cuisinart saute is 5 1/2 qt vs. 5, and it has a metal lid instead of glass. If your old saute pan was 5 1/2 qt & had a glass lid it might fit. The price difference vs. Calphalon is probably just a matter of timing, since amazon prices fluctuate all over the place. If you're going to buy it be sure to use the Amazon link from the Forum main page so ChefTalk gets credit - not sure if it's good enough to just click through my link.


post #3 of 9
If your current saute pan meets all your needs and it's the type that the nonstick coating is applied over stainless steel, that coating can be removed. It does take a bit of work but if you like the pan it's an alternative. I found an All Clad nonstick 3 qt covered saute at the thrift store in for $8. The basic pan was in good condition so I used oven cleaner on the non stick interior and scrubbed it with sand. After I got most of it off I used finer and finer grades of sanding cloth to get a pretty nice matte stainless finish to the pan. Of course a more sensible person would just take it in and have it sand blasted and that would eliminate a lot of elbow grease, but that's just not my nature.
post #4 of 9
...a more sensible person would just take it in and have it sand blasted ...

My usual response -

You don't want it sand blasted, which will hugely abrade and rough up the basic metal.

Be sure to get it BEAD BLASTED which will actually polish the metal. Most places that offer sand blasting can also do bead blasting, which uses tiny, actual speres of glass, instead of sharp sand. They call the sand "sharp" for a reason. :eek: The grains are all sharp corners.

travelling gourmand
travelling gourmand
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
thank you so much, i am going to get that one i think, next pay.

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
while this does appeal to my frugal side, and i would LOVE to keep some of those pans as i am used to the way they cook.....i am not sure where i would take them to have them done.
unfortunately i don't have a bench grinder anymore, and i doubt i could use the wire brush attachment on the drill for the time it would take to do that

unless i could find a place that will blast them for a very reasonable cost i can't do it
although it IS really tempting

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
mike, what sort of thing would i look for in the phone book?
our local foundry just closed down this week, and i would have thought a foundry would do that

post #8 of 9
Sorry to be so slow in responding... kind of lost track of this thread.

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Sand Blasting" allright; it's a much more common application of this technique. However, as I said, sandblasting a cooking utensil will essentially ruin it, since it will leave the metal so rough it will be impossible to clean. This roughness is just fine to leave a "tooth" on a surface that's going to be painted... for a pan, not so good. :rolleyes:

Ask the sandblasting guy if he also does bead blasting, since the equipment is similar, if not actually the same. Be sure he will use the tiny, spherical glass beads, and, if so, go for it! :thumb:


Hope this isn't too late
travelling gourmand
travelling gourmand
post #9 of 9
Easier to just buy a new pan.

The actual pan part of most non-sticks is seldom very good. Most are made with an aluminum substrate -- or something else you don't want as the interior of a saute pan.

If it's a pan you use all the time, it's worth investing in something you'll like. There are any number of reasonably priced, well made, multi-plys with stainless interiors AND helper handles.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooking Equipment Reviews › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Equipment Reviews › saute pan with helper handle