For us, what we've done for a number of years generally runs along these lines.....
- Prawn cocktail (very 70's- I know! but still tasty)
- nice dry white wine
- Roast pork with really crispy crackling
(I buy extra skin so we have lots)
- Roast lamb
- pan gravy from both
- roasted: potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips, sweet potato
- apple sauce, cranberry sauce
- mix of green beans and peas, ummm, drowned in butter :)
- nice loaf of sourdough bread with, ummm, more butter
- nice peppery Shiraz to go with.
- trifle (chocolate swiss roll cake splooshed with sherry, jelly set in and over top, layer of tinned sliced peaches, layer of custard, fresh summer berries, with whipped chantilly cream to serve.
Burp, go for a slow walk, then sleep it all off in the lounge. :)
Then wake up, for those who are hungry- big slabs of sourdough/rye bread with butter, mustard and sliced ham off the bone (always leg, never shoulder, much nicer) pickled cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and cheese for the really hungry, and then have port and coffee and chocolates...back to sleep again.
Then, here, the next day is also a holiday (Boxing Day), so any leftover veg becomes a hash, leftover meat gets warmed in the leftover gravy, and to ease the conscience - a huge tossed salad. This is lunch after watching the start of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. And then the Boxing Day cricket match starts...aaarrrghhh.
That's pretty much it.
Then if anyone really wants dinner, it's takeout.