- categoryDutch Ovenstagged by System, 3/21/11
- brandLe Creusettagged by System, 3/21/11
- itemLe Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 13-1/4-Quart Round French Oven, Flametagged by System, 3/21/11
- itemLe Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 5-Quart Oval French Oven, Cobalttagged by System, 3/21/11
- itemLe Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 7-1/4-Quart Round Dutch Oven, Dijontagged by System, 3/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- buying a dutch oven Last post on 11/2/12 at 4:36pm in Food & Cooking
- Dutch Oven-Lodge or LeCreuset? Last post on 2/25/08 at 12:01pm in Cooking Equipment Reviews
- Le Crueset Burned Debris Last post on 4/27/05 at 5:34pm in Cooking Equipment Reviews
- The Le Creuset Pot Last post on 3/1/14 at 6:24pm in Cooking Equipment Reviews
- Does Le Creuset have better enamel? Last post on 9/28/14 at 12:56pm in Cooking Equipment Reviews
Cast Iron Dutch Oven Basics
Last edited: 10/27/10
- Camp Cooking Dutch Oven CookingLast edited: 2/16/10
- Dutch Oven 101Last edited: 7/30/14
- Seasoning Dutch Ovens Along The WayLast edited: 2/16/10
- Dutch Oven CookingLast edited: 2/16/10
So far im loving this school this is just my first semester so i can't judge to much but coming from my last school henry ford community college schoolcraft community college is so much better the...
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
Got a new Le Creuset cast iron dutch oven, now what?post #1 of 161/19/10 at 9:08amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 161/19/10 at 9:32ampost #3 of 161/19/10 at 10:46amThat is so cool! When I got one (I bought the Lodge version) I bought a cast iron cookbook but really didn't like the recipes. I have been using it for any recipe that calls for a dutch oven.
Le Creuset has a recipe book:
Amazon.com: Le Creuset Cookbook: The Cast Iron Way to Cook (9780859419956): Sue Cutts: Bookspost #4 of 161/19/10 at 12:08pmThread Starterpost #5 of 161/19/10 at 2:12pmI have a lot of le Creuset cookware - I don't use LC specific recipes (apart from the leaflet in the casseroles, I don't think I got any recipes!) - I use them for making casseroles - one of the larger casseroles I use to roast a large chicken - I use the grill pans to grill (?broil in American?) steaks, salmon etc. I use the saucepans like any other saucepan.post #6 of 161/23/10 at 1:24pmI didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a LC so I ended up with a generic look alike that cost about $80. I can't tell any difference aside from the name. However, what I really love about the enameled cast iron is that you can reduce things like mirapoix to an incredible degree and although the pan/pot looks like it will take a sandblaster to clean it actually cleans quite easily. Try that in one of my stainless pots and I might as well toss it.
Richpost #7 of 161/23/10 at 4:50pmpost #8 of 161/23/10 at 4:51pmpost #9 of 161/24/10 at 8:13amOh you're going to love your creuset! I use it for braising meats and soups. It does well in the oven and on the stove top. Although it's a bit heavy it cleans as easily as nonstick but really holds up to abbrasion.
A LaCreuset roasting pan is next on my wish list.
"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."
"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."post #10 of 161/25/10 at 11:30amThread StarterA little update. I got the book missyjean mentioned and so far I have done about 3-4 things in it and all have come out well. I have done chicken with apple cider/parsnips, chicken breasts with carrots, parsnips and rosemary, a chuck roast with red wine carrots, celery, onions etc and a pancetta risotto with candied butternut squash. Going to try a pork chop recipe tonight. So far I am loving how it cooks. Pretty easy to boot. Thanks for all the help!post #11 of 1611/21/10 at 2:25pm
That is good to know. I am so glad you liked it, ivanthetrble. How do you like your new pot?
My birthday recently passed and I am helping my husband select my gift by doing LC research. I am really confused because I don't know whether to buy a stainless steel pot from the line of cookware I already have or to try the LC and, perhaps, eventually start a small collection. I love the look of LC.
I make a tomato-based pasta sauce often. Stainless always sweats the onions well. I am wondering if the LC will work as well or even better
Quote:Originally Posted by ivanthetrble
A little update. I got the book missyjean mentioned and so far I have done about 3-4 things in it and all have come out well. I have done chicken with apple cider/parsnips, chicken breasts with carrots, parsnips and rosemary, a chuck roast with red wine carrots, celery, onions etc and a pancetta risotto with candied butternut squash. Going to try a pork chop recipe tonight. So far I am loving how it cooks. Pretty easy to boot. Thanks for all the help!post #12 of 1611/21/10 at 2:29pm
As for braising, I LOVE the cookbook Nikko recommended, ALL ABOUT BRAISING. The recipes are unique and everything I have tried, so far, has been exceptional.post #13 of 1611/21/10 at 5:37pmpost #14 of 1611/21/10 at 6:19pmpost #15 of 1611/26/10 at 12:02pmpost #16 of 1611/26/10 at 1:12pm
- Got a new Le Creuset cast iron dutch oven, now what?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Camp Cooking Dutch Oven Cooking
- › Hungarian Szalonna 45 minutes ago
- › Flour Tortillas are too dense and taste raw / chewy 56 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › How To Make An Amazing Tuna Fish Sandwich? 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › Buying First Knives. Looking for Help 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › Another Chef's knife question :) 3 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › When do you tell the chef..... 4 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Culinary program in DFW Texas area 4 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › Anyone planning a Halloween horror dinner menu? 6 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Pricing coffee service 6 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked