Related Forum Threads
- Chocolate Sybil Cake Last post on 12/10/14 at 1:36pm in Recipes
- A good tasting cake that is great 4 carving Last post on 7/26/10 at 7:54am in Pastries & Baking
- Best Ever Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Icing Last post on 2/25/10 at 6:50am in Recipes
- Why should I do this to a cheesecake? Last post on 12/25/09 at 2:48pm in Pastries & Baking
- Italian Dessert Last post on 9/30/06 at 3:50pm in Pastries & Baking
The Perfect Yellow Cake Recipe And Techniques
Last edited: 9/26/11
- Puff PastryLast edited: 1/21/12
- When Is A Cobbler A Grunt Making Sense Of American Fruit DessertsLast edited: 3/8/10
- How To Make A Chocolate SouffleLast edited: 2/28/10
- How To Prepare A Panna Cotta With Honey And StrawberriesLast edited: 2/16/10
I'm heading into my 4th summer with this factory refurbished machine. It has been reliable and does the job it is intended to do very well, though a bit loudly. I use it heavily during the summer...
Overall, since purchasing this knife, I have not been disappointed at all. The highlights, begin with the rounded hilt and blade top, which reduce the stress on the palms and make calluses a...
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
Pastry flour & Cake flourpost #1 of 101/31/10 at 5:24pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 102/1/10 at 3:45pmpost #3 of 102/1/10 at 3:50pmpastry flour has less gluten then cake flour
How can that be? They're both milled from the same soft winter wheat. And they're milled much more finely than all purpose (Swans Down claims 27 times more finely).
I was always under the impression that they were just different words for the same product.They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard KiplingThey have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kiplingpost #4 of 102/1/10 at 5:20pmThroughout most of America cake flour is 5% - 8% protein, pastry flour is 8% - 9%, and AP flour is 9% - 12%.
For my money, pastry and softer AP flours are best for pie crusts. Cake flour is too soft. Hard AP and bread flours are too hard. Pastry flour is also very good for biscuits; and to my mind it's the softness of the flour that distinguishes "Southern" biscuits from the generic.
I make my own pastry flour by mixing Swan's Down (skosh less than 7%) with King Arthur AP (un petit peu more than 11%), 50/50. Its close enough for government work. Another way to "convert" AP to pastry or cake flour is by subbing corn starch (0%) for some of the AP.
BDLpost #5 of 102/1/10 at 5:41pmpost #6 of 102/1/10 at 8:30pm
cake flour and pastry flour.cake flour is processed with cholorine gas which "fractures" if you will, the surface of the starch allowing it to take on more moisture - making it High Ratio. ( great for a roux )
This will also help it to tend toward an upward movement while baking while pastry flour tends more toward spread and does not take on as much moisture.
Pastry flour instead of AP flour will lead to a more tender product.
Hope this helps!post #7 of 102/1/10 at 9:24pmThread Starterpost #8 of 102/14/10 at 10:14pmpost #9 of 102/14/10 at 10:38pmThread Starterpost #10 of 102/26/11 at 4:58pm
Cake flour "and" pastry flour are both "soft" flours containing lower amounts of protiens and thus produce less gluten which results in a more tender product. Harder flours such as straight flour, pattent and clear flour are high protien/gluten producing flours suited for crusted breads. General purpose flour is formulated to be slightly weaker than bread flours (hard) so that it can be used in pastries as well. A professional baker however, prefers to use flours that are formulated for specific purposes because these give the best results.
The difference between "pastry" flour and "cake" flour is that pastry is slightly harder and is used for pie doughs and some cookies, biscuits and muffins. Using pastry flour instead of "all purpose" or "general purpose" flour will deffinately result in a different texture... a better one!
- Pastry flour & Cake flour
- Puff Pastry
- › New Kikuichi Carw 58 minutes ago
- › May 2017 Cooking Challenge: Fish! 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › BBQ Sauce - Cloning a Commercial Product 2 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Residential Kitchen Gut & Remodel, ISO under counter radiant... 3 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › Help! Need a Chinese recipe... 9 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Boonie Pepper 11 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Oxtail Stew 11 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Best margarita machine? 13 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › A Robot Cooks: Artificial Intelligence in the Kitchen 14 hours, 1 minute ago
- › cupcake/cake conversion 14 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt,... by ChicagoTerry
- › Friedr. Dick 1905 Exclusive Series 10-Inch Chef's Knife by JVKolich
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise