3 T. butter
1 c. leek, well washed, diced (do not use any dark green leaves)
1 c. diced onion
1/3 c. diced celery
2 c. diced peeled potatoes
6 c. chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth
1 c. cream
salt and white pepper
12 oz. diced smoked salmon
12-18 shucked oysters with juice
2 T. chopped chervil
- Sweat leek, onion, and celery in butter over moderate heat until softened but not browned.
- Add potatoes, chicken stock, and 6 oz. smoked salmon.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are very soft (about 30 minutes).
- Add 6 oysters and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Place the contents in a blender and food processor and process on low speed until smooth. (IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO HOLD THE TOP ON A BLENDER WITH A TOWEL WHILE BLENDING SO THAT IF THE CONTENTS COME OUT THE TOP OF THE BLENDER, IT WILL NOT BURN YOU! ALSO, NEVER FILL THE BLENDER MORE THE HALF FULL.)
- Strain contents through a strainer.
- The soup can be chilled at this point and reheated at service.
- Add cream and bring to boil. Taste for seasoning. Add remaining oysters (6 or 12 depending on how many you want to serve) and smoked salmon. Barely simmer for 2-3 minutes until the oysters begin to firm up. (If cooked too long they will be tough). Pour into bowls, sprinkle with chervil and serve.
Yield: Servings 6