this recipe from allrecipes says it will puff up, but mine didn't. I followed what reviewer Gloria said and added 3 eggs instead of 1. Which also means I didn't do the egg white wash. Was this a mistake?
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 ounces sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk (reserve egg white), almond paste, and flavoring; beat until well blended. Stir in flour.
- Spread mixture in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Beat egg white (at room temperature) until foamy; brush over entire surface of dough, and sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool thoroughly, and cut into 2 inch squares. Store in airtight containers.