New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Melting chocolate

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I have had no problem melting my chocolate in the microwave until last year.  It turned very dry and I tried it again and same thing.

I then tried to do it on the stove with a bowl on top of steamer water (double broiler??)

This worked a little better.

But what is the best way to melt chocolate. It is so expensive dont want to fail again  thanks!
post #2 of 7
How are you using the melted chocolate?
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Oh I make white trash for Christmas. Pour white chocolate over chexmix, peanuts, cheerios,

It really is good!
post #4 of 7

If your chocolate seizes when melting- a rescue remedy is to pour a little vegetable oil into the chocolate and stir.


This can happen because the chocolate has not been melted correctly or because it is old and has been stored incorrectly.


store chocolate in a cool, dry place, away from any strong smells or odours.


You can melt chocolate in a microwave-stir the chocolate every ten-20 seconds or so-depending on power. Be extra careful with white chocolate


When melting in a bain maire, you must be sure that the bottom of the container containing chocolate is not in direct contact with the heat source and do not allow any water to enter the chocolate-if you boil the water-you will create steam and it can enter the chocolate, so it is better to heat the water at a gentle simmer.

 

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeface View Post

If your chocolate seizes when melting- a rescue remedy is to pour a little vegetable oil into the chocolate and stir.


This can happen because the chocolate has not been melted correctly or because it is old and has been stored incorrectly.


 

No.... Chocolate will sieze up when water gets mixed in, and steam is a  form of water.  It doesn't take much to sieze up chocoalte--maybe a tablespoon of water per pound.

Bear in mind, Chocolate has NO water in it.  It has sugar, but the sugar is finely milled and therefore is NOT dissolved.  When water gets mixed in, the sugar wants to be dissolved,and the cocoa butter repels the water, and you get brown cement.

Yeah, you can thin out siezed up chocoalte with oil.  BUT it tastes gross, has a gross mouthfeel, and will never set as hard as "real chocolate".  Perfectly fine for baking though.
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #6 of 7
yes, as I said chocolate will sieze when water gets in and this can enter through direct contact  or through steam. 

But  as there has never been a problem melting the chocolate in a microwave before and assuming no water is evident, it could be that the chocolate is old or has not been stored correctly.  

You can see this, for example with  chocolate sculptures that have been on display for several weeks, if you melt  the stucture down, the chances are the chocolate will be dry, chalky and lumpy.(again this may not happen -  depending on the conditions)
Edited by cakeface - 4/2/10 at 7:58am
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
thank you all so very helpful!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pastries & Baking