Related Forum Threads
- Chocolate Sybil Cake Last post on 12/10/14 at 1:36pm in Recipes
- Best Ever Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Icing Last post on 2/25/10 at 6:50am in Recipes
- Pastry flour & Cake flour Last post on 2/26/11 at 4:58pm in Pastries & Baking
- Why should I do this to a cheesecake? Last post on 12/25/09 at 2:48pm in Pastries & Baking
- Italian Dessert Last post on 9/30/06 at 3:50pm in Pastries & Baking
The Perfect Yellow Cake Recipe And Techniques
Last edited: 9/26/11
- Puff PastryLast edited: 1/21/12
- When Is A Cobbler A Grunt Making Sense Of American Fruit DessertsLast edited: 3/8/10
- How To Make A Chocolate SouffleLast edited: 2/28/10
- How To Prepare A Panna Cotta With Honey And StrawberriesLast edited: 2/16/10
I'm heading into my 4th summer with this factory refurbished machine. It has been reliable and does the job it is intended to do very well, though a bit loudly. I use it heavily during the summer...
Overall, since purchasing this knife, I have not been disappointed at all. The highlights, begin with the rounded hilt and blade top, which reduce the stress on the palms and make calluses a...
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
A good tasting cake that is great 4 carving
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 84/5/10 at 10:45ampost #3 of 84/6/10 at 1:51pmI've only carved a little, but I use either: A) pound cake. Freeze it though! The first time I carved with pound cake, I cheated and used the boxed Betty Crocker brand kind . B) sponge cake. I posted a recipe below that is pretty good tasting, and easy. Freeze it too! C) The cake that a crumb cake is usually part of. Without the crumbs, of course. I don't know if it works with ALL crumb cake-cakes but it worked with my recipe. I can't find it now, but if I find it, I'll inbox it to you, because it really worked amazing!
Sifted cake flour
Preheat oven, grease a small tube pan.
Oven Temp ~ 325° Baking Time ~ 30 Min.
Pan Type ~ small angel food pan
Beat egg yolks and sugar together until very light. Add water. Sift together flour and baking powder. Add to batter. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake. Cool completely and invert onto cake platter. Prepare whipped cream and strawberries. To serve, slice cake in half and fill with half the whipped cream. Top with remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
(taken from www.recipes4cakes.com)
(instead, I used a sheet pan instead of an angel food cake pan)post #4 of 84/8/10 at 5:59pmThread Starterpost #5 of 84/14/10 at 5:58pmpost #6 of 86/9/10 at 5:05pmpost #7 of 87/26/10 at 6:05am
If you could remember what the teacher's favorite flavor or kind of a cake then you could go from there.
Another is if she has a European decent then you could also make the cake more special by making a cake that would make her remember of the beautiful memories back home.
I don't have a specific cake in mind though.
From the idea of dillonsmimi... when using fondant, probably you could have extra fondant decorations to be placed around the cake.
I do have a simple but will become dainty if the teacher is female.
A bundt cake with a white icing and in the middle of the cake would be different berries. When the cake has been covered with white icing, the extra fruits could be around the bottom part of the cake.post #8 of 87/26/10 at 7:54am
I've carved and pieced together this one a few times including a curled-up sleeping baby dragon. Its robust and oil-based so it doesn't dry out too much while working.
Soonafai's Moist Chocky Cake
2C Caster sugar
3C S/R Flour
3 tsp Baking soda
3 Egg whites
2 Tsp Malt vinegar
2Tsp Golden syrup
2tsp Vanilla essence
Sift & combine dry ingredients reserving a little sugar. Beat whites until stiff, beat in the reserved sugar. Combine milk and vinegar add other wets and beat. Combine wets and dries, fold in the whites. Bake 180C for 40-50 mins (cook time varies a bit).
This recipe was developed by a Samoan lady for her husband and sons then won a national radio comp. as the supreme recipe...you go, girl!"Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans."
Allen Saunders, 1957."Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans."
Allen Saunders, 1957.
- A good tasting cake that is great 4 carving
- Puff Pastry
- › Are patena's good or bad? 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Re-stacking Ovens 2 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Should Etoufee be sweet? 2 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › What knives do you sharpen the most often? 3 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Canada or US ?? 4 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Red Writing Hood 4 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › May 2017 Cooking Challenge: Fish! 5 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › What's in your kniferoll? 5 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Pizza in the Combi Oven? 5 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › I've come for a visit 11 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt,... by ChicagoTerry
- › Friedr. Dick 1905 Exclusive Series 10-Inch Chef's Knife by JVKolich
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise