Related Forum Threads
- Chocolate Sybil Cake Last post on 12/10/14 at 1:36pm in Recipes
- Best Ever Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Icing Last post on 2/25/10 at 6:50am in Recipes
- Pastry flour & Cake flour Last post on 2/26/11 at 4:58pm in Pastries & Baking
- Why should I do this to a cheesecake? Last post on 12/25/09 at 2:48pm in Pastries & Baking
- Italian Dessert Last post on 9/30/06 at 3:50pm in Pastries & Baking
The Perfect Yellow Cake Recipe And Techniques
Last edited: 9/26/11
- Puff PastryLast edited: 1/21/12
- When Is A Cobbler A Grunt Making Sense Of American Fruit DessertsLast edited: 3/8/10
- How To Make A Chocolate SouffleLast edited: 2/28/10
- How To Prepare A Panna Cotta With Honey And StrawberriesLast edited: 2/16/10
I graduated in '95 and went back this past Thanksgiving w my 9yo daughter. We eat at the French restaurant, Escoffier. It was great! You get what you pay for. The problem is that many of the...
I attended the professional chef course chef at Italian Chef Academy in Rome chef academy course in January 2017 and both chefs and cooking lessons were fantastic. I have just finished my...
A very good way to get into Japanese blades since very good bang for the buck. Familiar blade and handle shape. Very good steel, comes with and keeps a good sharp edge ... but if you need to touch...
I picked up the Miyabi 8" chef's (600D) as an upgrade to my Henckels when I found it on sale and was not disappointed. Feels a bit lighter and more agile in the hand compared to the Germans since...
Wüsthof is one of the "big name" Germans for a reason, over 200 years. Their professional tier lines are all solid, and the choice may end up being just personal taste over the exact look/material...
A good tasting cake that is great 4 carvingpost #2 of 84/5/10 at 10:45ampost #3 of 84/6/10 at 1:51pmI've only carved a little, but I use either: A) pound cake. Freeze it though! The first time I carved with pound cake, I cheated and used the boxed Betty Crocker brand kind . B) sponge cake. I posted a recipe below that is pretty good tasting, and easy. Freeze it too! C) The cake that a crumb cake is usually part of. Without the crumbs, of course. I don't know if it works with ALL crumb cake-cakes but it worked with my recipe. I can't find it now, but if I find it, I'll inbox it to you, because it really worked amazing!
Sifted cake flour
Preheat oven, grease a small tube pan.
Oven Temp ~ 325° Baking Time ~ 30 Min.
Pan Type ~ small angel food pan
Beat egg yolks and sugar together until very light. Add water. Sift together flour and baking powder. Add to batter. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake. Cool completely and invert onto cake platter. Prepare whipped cream and strawberries. To serve, slice cake in half and fill with half the whipped cream. Top with remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
(taken from www.recipes4cakes.com)
(instead, I used a sheet pan instead of an angel food cake pan)post #4 of 84/8/10 at 5:59pmThread Starterpost #5 of 84/14/10 at 5:58pmpost #6 of 86/9/10 at 5:05pmpost #7 of 87/26/10 at 6:05am
If you could remember what the teacher's favorite flavor or kind of a cake then you could go from there.
Another is if she has a European decent then you could also make the cake more special by making a cake that would make her remember of the beautiful memories back home.
I don't have a specific cake in mind though.
From the idea of dillonsmimi... when using fondant, probably you could have extra fondant decorations to be placed around the cake.
I do have a simple but will become dainty if the teacher is female.
A bundt cake with a white icing and in the middle of the cake would be different berries. When the cake has been covered with white icing, the extra fruits could be around the bottom part of the cake.post #8 of 87/26/10 at 7:54am
I've carved and pieced together this one a few times including a curled-up sleeping baby dragon. Its robust and oil-based so it doesn't dry out too much while working.
Soonafai's Moist Chocky Cake
2C Caster sugar
3C S/R Flour
3 tsp Baking soda
3 Egg whites
2 Tsp Malt vinegar
2Tsp Golden syrup
2tsp Vanilla essence
Sift & combine dry ingredients reserving a little sugar. Beat whites until stiff, beat in the reserved sugar. Combine milk and vinegar add other wets and beat. Combine wets and dries, fold in the whites. Bake 180C for 40-50 mins (cook time varies a bit).
This recipe was developed by a Samoan lady for her husband and sons then won a national radio comp. as the supreme recipe...you go, girl!"Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans."
Allen Saunders, 1957."Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans."
Allen Saunders, 1957.
- A good tasting cake that is great 4 carving
- Puff Pastry
- › The Four Pillars of Wine for Beginners 2 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Buying Advice Japanese Chef Knife 2 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › How do you pronounce gyro? 6 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Chocolate 7 hours ago
- › Chefs mid-life crisis 8 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Hello hello hello! 9 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › anyone know of any good Commercial Kitchen Rentals in... 10 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Forest cooking videos 12 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › New gyuto 210-240mm range. 12 hours, 36 minutes ago
- › Salón de gourmets 18 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Global 8-Inch 20cm Cook's Knife by NikoBleau
- › John Boos Newton Prep Master Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board... by ChrisLehrer
- › The Art of French Pastry by Jacquy Pfeiffer by OCDshaver
- › Norton 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India... by Scott Livesey
- › The Board Smith Maple 2″x12″x18″ by tobe999
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise
- › A "No Turkey" Thanksgiving-Roast Pork
- › Caramelized Cauliflower