Any ideas on making a mexican salad with a dressing to go along with it?
Related Forum Threads
- mexican buffet Last post on 7/14/03 at 1:08pm in Professional Catering
- taco bell Last post on 8/15/02 at 8:16pm in Food & Cooking
- Mystery Mexican cookie! Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:12am in Recipes
- Red and Green Sauces for Mexican Food Last post on 6/2/10 at 5:33am in Professional Chefs
- Looking for some new twist on mexican food Last post on 6/1/10 at 8:40pm in Food & Cooking
Mexican Food Recipes Guacamole
Last edited: 4/6/11
- Mexican Food Recipes ChampurradoLast edited: 2/28/11
- Mexican Food Recipes Flour TortillasLast edited: 3/19/10
- Quest for Zippy Mac Salad Recipe via kaneohegirlinazLast edited: 1/6/16
- Making Salads With Gourmet LettuceLast edited: 2/16/10
I'm heading into my 4th summer with this factory refurbished machine. It has been reliable and does the job it is intended to do very well, though a bit loudly. I use it heavily during the summer...
Overall, since purchasing this knife, I have not been disappointed at all. The highlights, begin with the rounded hilt and blade top, which reduce the stress on the palms and make calluses a...
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
Mexican Saladspost #1 of 56/15/10 at 8:50pmThread Starterpost #2 of 56/15/10 at 9:34pm
Well, salad in the sense of green salad isn't a very Mexican sort of dish, so one has to adapt.
There is, of course, Caesar Cardini's classic Caesar Salad, made in Tijuana in days of yore, but somehow I suspect this isn't what you have in mind.
I would start with a basic green salad and add some classic Mexican raw vegetables, such as the ingredients of your basic salsas crudas and guacamole: tomato or tomatillo, white onion, fresh not-too-hot chiles (e.g. seeded poblanos), avocado cubes. Radish slices would be excellent. Maybe sear some fresh corn kernels blazing hot until golden, let cool, and add to the dressing. For the dressing, I'd make a rough vinaigrette with cilantro, lime juice, just a dab of mustard for stability, a dash of cumin (or better, toasted oregano), and some mild olive oil, then toss the corn in this (if using) and dress the salad.
You could certainly add various pickled vegetables, like nopales (nopal cactus pads), carrots, radishes, and so on. There are also lightly-cooked vegetables allowed to cool, including zucchini and other squashes, which you might toss over high heat with a little toasted oregano.
Remember that one of the great arts of a decent salad is to take things out. It's sort of like Coco Chanel: before you complete the dish, take something off. Keep it very simple, fresh, and seasonal. Just use things that come up a lot in Mexico, and you're fine.post #3 of 56/20/10 at 11:17pmpost #4 of 56/21/10 at 9:33am
- Mexican Salads
- Mexican Food Recipes Champurrado
- › BBQ Sauce 23 minutes ago
- › A fork in the road 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › Wrap it in bacon! 3 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Buying Advice Japanese Chef Knife 9 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Chef 9 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › Pink Pork Sausage 10 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › life advice needed, want to exist in an african caribbean space and... 11 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Griddle Recommendations 14 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › It Never Gets Old. 15 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt,... by ChicagoTerry
- › Friedr. Dick 1905 Exclusive Series 10-Inch Chef's Knife by JVKolich
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Saturday Night Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp...
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream