Any ideas on making a mexican salad with a dressing to go along with it?
Related Forum Threads
- mexican buffet Last post on 7/14/03 at 1:08pm in Professional Catering
- taco bell Last post on 8/15/02 at 8:16pm in Food & Cooking
- Mystery Mexican cookie! Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:12am in Recipes
- Red and Green Sauces for Mexican Food Last post on 6/2/10 at 5:33am in Professional Chefs
- Looking for some new twist on mexican food Last post on 6/1/10 at 8:40pm in Food & Cooking
Mexican Food Recipes Guacamole
Last edited: 4/6/11
- Mexican Food Recipes ChampurradoLast edited: 2/28/11
- Mexican Food Recipes Flour TortillasLast edited: 3/19/10
- Quest for Zippy Mac Salad Recipe via kaneohegirlinazLast edited: 4/3/12
- Making Salads With Gourmet LettuceLast edited: 2/16/10
I've been on a bit of New Orleans Cajun and Creole kick with my cookbook reviews recently so I thought I'd stray a bit, although not too far and review a cookbook about seafood that can be found...
This sweet baby was my daily knife on the line for about two years.The grip is intuitive and lightweight and the knife just has a great action. She holds an edge for a surprisingly long amount of...
I have been through three butcher blocks by this company and each one has developed hairline cracks. The butcher block, on the whole, seems well made and has held up well. No warping, easy on...
I have attended NIU for three semesters now and am currently enrolled in its Hospitality Management program. It wasn't my first choice as I was unsure of my education path, but I choose it because...
When I was just embarking on my culinary career I spent a good amount of time working in New Orleans. To this day I still have a fondness for the Cajun and Creole foods I discovered while living...
Mexican Saladspost #1 of 56/15/10 at 8:50pmThread Starterpost #2 of 56/15/10 at 9:34pm
Well, salad in the sense of green salad isn't a very Mexican sort of dish, so one has to adapt.
There is, of course, Caesar Cardini's classic Caesar Salad, made in Tijuana in days of yore, but somehow I suspect this isn't what you have in mind.
I would start with a basic green salad and add some classic Mexican raw vegetables, such as the ingredients of your basic salsas crudas and guacamole: tomato or tomatillo, white onion, fresh not-too-hot chiles (e.g. seeded poblanos), avocado cubes. Radish slices would be excellent. Maybe sear some fresh corn kernels blazing hot until golden, let cool, and add to the dressing. For the dressing, I'd make a rough vinaigrette with cilantro, lime juice, just a dab of mustard for stability, a dash of cumin (or better, toasted oregano), and some mild olive oil, then toss the corn in this (if using) and dress the salad.
You could certainly add various pickled vegetables, like nopales (nopal cactus pads), carrots, radishes, and so on. There are also lightly-cooked vegetables allowed to cool, including zucchini and other squashes, which you might toss over high heat with a little toasted oregano.
Remember that one of the great arts of a decent salad is to take things out. It's sort of like Coco Chanel: before you complete the dish, take something off. Keep it very simple, fresh, and seasonal. Just use things that come up a lot in Mexico, and you're fine.post #3 of 56/20/10 at 11:17pmpost #4 of 56/21/10 at 9:33am
- Mexican Salads
- Mexican Food Recipes Champurrado
- › What did you have for dinner? 4 minutes ago
- › A carnivore needs help cooking for vegetarians and vegans 12 minutes ago
- › How do i make this cake. Calling all experts:- 43 minutes ago
- › help with a castle cake 52 minutes ago
- › Must-have pastry bibile 54 minutes ago
- › Tomato Time 57 minutes ago
- › Question about cooking with onions 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Cooking A Chicken 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Gyuto profiles - question on the "flat section"? 3 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Sous Chefs: What are their Roles in your Kitchen? 3 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › The Complete Guide to Northern Gulf Seafood by Pete
- › MAC MTH-80 8" Chef's Knife w/ Dimples by LovelyFeyd
- › John Boos Reversible End Grain Maple Chopping Block, 20 by 15 by... by wwatt7262
- › Northern Illinois University Hospitality Administration by JLomb
- › In a While, Crocodile: New Orleans Slow Cooker Recipes by Pete
- › Professional Baking by Naturesbliss
- › Fresh and Light by Cami
- › Ferrandi Paris - The French School of Culinary Arts by pastelle
- › Viking VSC0508 8 Inch Stainless Steel Fry Pan by santoku runner
- › Vita-Mix 1700 Turbo Blend 4500 Countertop Blender with 2+ HP Motor by Roadturn