Any ideas on making a mexican salad with a dressing to go along with it?
Related Forum Threads
- mexican buffet Last post on 7/14/03 at 1:08pm in Professional Catering
- taco bell Last post on 8/15/02 at 8:16pm in Food & Cooking
- Mystery Mexican cookie! Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:12am in Recipes
- Red and Green Sauces for Mexican Food Last post on 6/2/10 at 5:33am in Professional Chefs
- Looking for some new twist on mexican food Last post on 6/1/10 at 8:40pm in Food & Cooking
Mexican Food Recipes Guacamole
Last edited: 4/6/11
- Mexican Food Recipes ChampurradoLast edited: 2/28/11
- Mexican Food Recipes Flour TortillasLast edited: 3/19/10
- Quest for Zippy Mac Salad Recipe via kaneohegirlinazLast edited: 1/6/16
- Making Salads With Gourmet LettuceLast edited: 2/16/10
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
I graduated in '95 and went back this past Thanksgiving w my 9yo daughter. We eat at the French restaurant, Escoffier. It was great! You get what you pay for. The problem is that many of the...
I attended the professional chef course chef at Italian Chef Academy in Rome chef academy course in January 2017 and both chefs and cooking lessons were fantastic. I have just finished my...
Mexican Saladspost #1 of 56/15/10 at 8:50pmThread Starterpost #2 of 56/15/10 at 9:34pm
Well, salad in the sense of green salad isn't a very Mexican sort of dish, so one has to adapt.
There is, of course, Caesar Cardini's classic Caesar Salad, made in Tijuana in days of yore, but somehow I suspect this isn't what you have in mind.
I would start with a basic green salad and add some classic Mexican raw vegetables, such as the ingredients of your basic salsas crudas and guacamole: tomato or tomatillo, white onion, fresh not-too-hot chiles (e.g. seeded poblanos), avocado cubes. Radish slices would be excellent. Maybe sear some fresh corn kernels blazing hot until golden, let cool, and add to the dressing. For the dressing, I'd make a rough vinaigrette with cilantro, lime juice, just a dab of mustard for stability, a dash of cumin (or better, toasted oregano), and some mild olive oil, then toss the corn in this (if using) and dress the salad.
You could certainly add various pickled vegetables, like nopales (nopal cactus pads), carrots, radishes, and so on. There are also lightly-cooked vegetables allowed to cool, including zucchini and other squashes, which you might toss over high heat with a little toasted oregano.
Remember that one of the great arts of a decent salad is to take things out. It's sort of like Coco Chanel: before you complete the dish, take something off. Keep it very simple, fresh, and seasonal. Just use things that come up a lot in Mexico, and you're fine.post #3 of 56/20/10 at 11:17pmpost #4 of 56/21/10 at 9:33am
- Mexican Salads
- Mexican Food Recipes Champurrado
- › How to deal with groups and (partial) no-shows? 3 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Open Discussion of Southern Cooking 6 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › Quick Pickups for Starters in a Hot Oven! 7 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Quick Starter Pickups for Hot Oven 7 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Are Shun knives really worth the price 8 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Hi - Aspiring Entrepreneur 9 hours ago
- › EGGS 9 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › Commercial Kitchen Capacity 9 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Food Truck Help 10 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Books for someone trying to be a better pastry chef 11 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Global 8-Inch 20cm Cook's Knife by NikoBleau
- › John Boos Newton Prep Master Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board... by ChrisLehrer
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise