Any ideas on making a mexican salad with a dressing to go along with it?
Related Forum Threads
- mexican buffet Last post on 7/14/03 at 1:08pm in Professional Catering
- taco bell Last post on 8/15/02 at 8:16pm in Food & Cooking
- Mystery Mexican cookie! Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:12am in Recipes
- Red and Green Sauces for Mexican Food Last post on 6/2/10 at 5:33am in Professional Chefs
- Looking for some new twist on mexican food Last post on 6/1/10 at 8:40pm in Food & Cooking
Mexican Food Recipes Guacamole
Last edited: 4/6/11
- Mexican Food Recipes ChampurradoLast edited: 2/28/11
- Mexican Food Recipes Flour TortillasLast edited: 3/19/10
- Quest for Zippy Mac Salad Recipe via kaneohegirlinazLast edited: 4/3/12
- Making Salads With Gourmet LettuceLast edited: 2/16/10
So I've been working in the industry for 12years, I couldn't afford some of the price tags to attend a campus, and most the time even if i could it would involve me leaving my current job and...
This book is in english and spanish, and takes you through some really fancy garnishes. Not just the stuff you see at dinner in a chinese restaurant, but the stuff you see at weddings in a chinese...
I think we've all had one of these in our rolls, most from our school days. And, for a very good reason, they were issued because they are safe, reliable, low cost, and competent. I have multiple...
Umami is what I would consider an essential book, What people think Umami is and what it actually is are two totally different things. I've heard people say it's the taste of goodness or some other...
J Sargeant Reyolds is a community college in downtown Richmond, VA. It offers many different courses that most community colleges do. The course I am taking Is the ACF certified culinary course....
Mexican Saladspost #1 of 56/15/10 at 8:50pmThread Starterpost #2 of 56/15/10 at 9:34pm
Well, salad in the sense of green salad isn't a very Mexican sort of dish, so one has to adapt.
There is, of course, Caesar Cardini's classic Caesar Salad, made in Tijuana in days of yore, but somehow I suspect this isn't what you have in mind.
I would start with a basic green salad and add some classic Mexican raw vegetables, such as the ingredients of your basic salsas crudas and guacamole: tomato or tomatillo, white onion, fresh not-too-hot chiles (e.g. seeded poblanos), avocado cubes. Radish slices would be excellent. Maybe sear some fresh corn kernels blazing hot until golden, let cool, and add to the dressing. For the dressing, I'd make a rough vinaigrette with cilantro, lime juice, just a dab of mustard for stability, a dash of cumin (or better, toasted oregano), and some mild olive oil, then toss the corn in this (if using) and dress the salad.
You could certainly add various pickled vegetables, like nopales (nopal cactus pads), carrots, radishes, and so on. There are also lightly-cooked vegetables allowed to cool, including zucchini and other squashes, which you might toss over high heat with a little toasted oregano.
Remember that one of the great arts of a decent salad is to take things out. It's sort of like Coco Chanel: before you complete the dish, take something off. Keep it very simple, fresh, and seasonal. Just use things that come up a lot in Mexico, and you're fine.post #3 of 56/20/10 at 11:17pmpost #4 of 56/21/10 at 9:33am
- Mexican Salads
- Mexican Food Recipes Champurrado
- › Need recipe: gluten-free Korean BBQ 2 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 55 minutes ago
- › Melting foundant 57 minutes ago
- › Pro Wrestler has Babette's Feast Moment... 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › how to price a catering job ? 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › Farmrwife 2 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Inventory situation 4 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Chicken heartsi 5 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Lasagna 5 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › sirloin steak in oven 11 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Escoffier Online International Culinary Academy by Anthony Eugenio
- › Chinese Garnishes / Adornos Chinos: With Platter Arrangements / Con... by MillionsKnives
- › Mercer Cutlery Genesis 8-Inch Chef's Knife by harrisonh
- › Umami: The Fifth Taste by ChefTorres87
- › J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College by the1culinarykid
- › UNLV William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration by harrisonh
- › Oregon Culinary Institute by Carrie'
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by wangxing
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by Chef B
- › Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook,... by Joe Banneke
- › What does Shake Shack's ChickenStack...
- › On the Road with Dega Catering and the Dave...
- › Fourth of July: What Would George Eat?
- › How to add a culinary school to ChefTalk.com
- › Culinary School Review Contest
- › The Strain Gauge: The Heart of the Digital Scale
- › Cutting Board Review Contest
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part IV ...
- › Tea 101: A Beginner's Guide Part III ...
- › Cutting Bell Peppers: The Elegant Solution