I've written a very long wiki article on the basics of Japanese knives. I hope you'll read it and use this thread (and perhaps splinter-threads) to discuss it. Eventually I hope you'll all get involved and fix things, but at the moment I'd like to hold off.
The thing is, this isn't a normal wiki at all. Normal wikis, in my experience, are all about brief bits connected through zillions of hyperlinks. This thing doesn't seem to do that: it's basically a long article that everyone can edit. If I'm misunderstanding, I NEED HELP!
What's clearly needed is
- some formatting (the TOC should be clickable and each piece should be back-clickable to the TOC)
- information on stainless steels, about which I know nada
- comments on knife brands you know something about
- comments on particular knives you find outstandingly good or bad
- contact information and comments about places you buy knives, brick-and-mortar or online
- indications of any significant errors or omissions
I think there's probably one or two other things I've forgotten, too.
Anyway, please read and tell me why I'm an idiot.