I finally made my first purchase for my very own kitchen in my new place which I will be moving in to shortly. I settled with a set of Calphalon Katana Series Japanese steel knives. It comes with an 8 inch chefs knife, a 6 inch utility knife, 5.5 inch serrated utility, 5 inch santoku, 3.5 inch paring knife, kitchen shears and a 10 inch steel. I was wondering if this is a good purchase for an at home beginner chef.
- itemCalphalon Katana 5-Inch Nakiri Knifetagged by System, 8/3/10
- itemCalphalon Katana Stainless-Steel 10-Inch Diamond Steeltagged by System, 8/3/10
- itemCalphalon Katana Stainless-Steel 3-1/2-Inch Paring Knifetagged by System, 8/3/10
- itemCalphalon Katana Stainless-Steel 5-Inch Santoku Knifetagged by System, 8/3/10
- itemCalphalon Katana Stainless-Steel 6-Inch Chef's Knifetagged by System, 8/3/10
- itemCalphalon Katana Stainless-Steel 7-Inch Nakiri Knifetagged by System, 8/3/10
- itemCalphalon Katana Stainless-Steel 7-Inch Santoku Knifetagged by System, 8/3/10
- itemCalphalon Katana Stainless-Steel 8-Inch Chef's Knifetagged by System, 8/3/10
- categoryCutlerytagged by System, 8/1/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need new knives. Leaning Japanese Last post on 4/25/14 at 5:39pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Need new knives...Japanese for chicken? Last post on 4/16/14 at 11:03am in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Looking to move up in the world of cutlery , but I want to do it right. Last post on 6/2/11 at 7:30pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Cutlery and More: Are there any coupons? Last post on 3/14/11 at 7:50pm in Cooking Equipment Reviews
- Need a whetstone, or an oil stone. Last post on 3/15/11 at 6:52pm in Cooking Equipment Reviews
How To Choose The Right Knife
Last edited: 2/16/10
- How To Use A Chef Knife Part III With PhotosLast edited: 8/31/13
- Chef Knives How To Really Use ThemLast edited: 2/16/10
- How To Use A Chef Knife Part IILast edited: 8/31/13
- How To Use A Chef Knife Part ILast edited: 2/16/10
So far im loving this school this is just my first semester so i can't judge to much but coming from my last school henry ford community college schoolcraft community college is so much better the...
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
First Set of Knives
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 27/15/10 at 2:01pm
Caphalon Katana is an OK choice. You certainly could have done far worse.
If I'm not mistaken, Calphalon has discontinued the Katana line with the possible exception of steak knives. No doubt there is quite a bit of NOS still out there. If you want to "fill in your set," with other Katanas, you should be able to get a healthy discount.
Edited by boar_d_laze - 8/4/10 at 3:32pm
- First Set of Knives
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- How To Use A Chef Knife Part III With Photos
- › Troubleshooting with Italian Meringue Buttercream 43 minutes ago
- › Chef Coats 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Chef Schedule 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Need advice on a stove/range: dual-fuel preferred 3 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Holding Baozi during service 3 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Authentic Mexican? 4 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Doing some sugar flowers 4 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Attend Culinary School vs. Getting Experience in Kitchen 5 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 7 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Need Help Making Feed Bar 7 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked