Sate Ayam, or Chicken Satay is a favourite street food in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. Indonesian Satay is best grilled on a barbecue, but you can also grill them under the broiler.
- Chicken Breast, 1 large skinless and boneless, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Shallot, 1 large finely chopped
- Garlic, 4 cloves, finely chopped
- Fresh Chillis, 2 seeded and finely chopped (or 1 tsp chili paste)
- Fresh Ginger, 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Fresh Coriander, 1 tbsp chopped
- Sesame Oil, 1 tsp
- Dark Soya Sauce, 2 tsp
- Fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp
- Coconut Milk, 1/4 cup
- Water, 1/4 cup
- Put all ingredients together in a plastic bag and mix and coat the chicken well.
- Put chicken in the fridge to marinate for two to six hours.
- Soak bamboo skewers in warm water for at least 20 minutes before skewering the chicken cubes. Leave a bit of space between meat pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Barbecue over medium-high temperature for 5 to 8 minutes, basting with the marinade and turning frequently.