I've always liked and enjoyed cooking and have always wanted a set of good knives for myself but never got to it until now...
Was keen on going for Shun or Globals until i started reading more on this forum.
I've been reading quite a lot of very useful (overload) of information here but have basically narrowed down to:
1. Masamoto Gyuto 240mm
2. Kagayaki Gyuto 240mm
At this stage, i'm only going to buy a main knife first with a knife block and see how I go from there... I have a number of questions though:
- How do the above 2 compare? Is the Masamoto worth the extra price spent on it?
- How hard is it for me to learn to sharpen using Whetstones? I've never used it before. Is there a high chance of me destroying the knife?
- How can someone be so accurate to hold the knife 15degrees when sharpening? or is this a rough figure?
- Can someone explain or direct me to a link that explains the meaning of bevels, etc?
- Would a knife block be better or a magnet on the wall? I've seen some magnetic strips that has a plastic covering to prevent knives from knocking onto it.
Any advice would be good...
I see that JCK and Korin are both very popular and reliable retailers so I'm probably going to go with one of them.
If it makes any difference at all, I'm in Sydney, Australia.
Thanks in advanced!