1) Reading through posts on the forum I saw advice saying that half of the starter should be discarded and the other half fed. What is the reason for throwing some away?
2) Our starter is 19 months old now, and just flour and water has gone into it so far. Is there anything else that should be in there like honey or sugar or added yeast?
3) How much should we be feeding it and how often? We have about 6 liters of starter.
4) There a trappist beer that I really like called Orval. It was a strain of yeast in it that makes it taste very delicious. Will something bad happen if I replace the water in the feed with beer? The beer contains a wild yeast called Bretanomyces.
5) The texture of our starter is fairly runny and spongelike. I've seen other starters that were more like dough. Our starter doesnt double up in size either but it does have a lot of bubble and frothing action going on so it must be alive. Why doesn't it double up? Should it be more doughy?
6) When we make sourdough its a three days process of letting it rise and punching down. Does it have to take this long? Chef says its to allow the gluten to develop. What does this mean?
Thanks guys :)