I found this simple yellow cake recipe but have not tried it yet. Maybe I should try making it and get back to the rest of you on the results before you try using it. However, if someone would like to give this Yellow Cake Recipe a try:
Ingredients Full Batch Half Batch
Flour, wheat, sifted, general purpose. 4 lbs 2 lbs
Sugar, granulated 4 lbs 2 lbs
Salt 1 1/2 oz 3/4 oz
Baking Powder 3 oz 1 1/2 oz
Milk, nonfat, dry 6 oz 3 oz
Shortening 1 lb 8 oz 12 oz
Water 2 lbs 4oz 1 lb 2 oz
Eggs, whole 2 lbs 4oz 1 lb 2 oz
Water 12 oz 6 oz
Vanilla extract 2 oz 1 oz
1) Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and milk into mixer bowl.
2) Add shortening and water to dry ingredients; beat at low speed 1 minute until blended. Scrape down bowl; continue beating 2 minutes.
3) Combine eggs, water and vanilla. Add slowly to mixture while beating at low speed. Scrape down bowl. Beat at medium speed 3 minutes.
4) Pour about 20 ounces of batter into each greased and flowered 9" round cake pan .
5) Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
6) Remove from pan after a brief cooling rest but while still hot. Cool completely and use as desired.
Full batch makes 12-9" round layers. 6 double layer cakes (96 portions cut by 16)
Half batch makes 6-9" layers. 3 double layer cakes (48 portions cut by 16)