One of the many problems w/ living near Albany NY is a distinct lack of decent Thai food. In fact I had tried it a few times and it didn't really do much for me. Then we vacationed in Hawaii and based on recommendation by the B&B owner (who was awesome by the way) went to a local Thai restaurant. The food was great. Of course now I want more and well you get the point. So any suggestion on good books to get started in the Thai genre?
Related Forum Threads
- Asian...Thai cookbook recommendations? Last post on 12/6/08 at 10:50pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Thai Cookbooks Last post on 5/18/00 at 11:17pm in Cookbook Reviews
- Anyone with a Good Thai Green Curry Dish Last post on 10/2/09 at 6:11am in Recipes
- Thai: Spicy noodle soup? (Dry?) Last post on 7/7/09 at 3:53pm in Food & Cooking
- Thai style canapes Last post on 2/26/09 at 1:00am in Food & Cooking
I have to admit that at first I was a little worried about a cookbook put out by Betty Crocker. After all who is Betty Crocker anyway? My fear was that every recipe would require a box mix to be...
I'm in the Foods Program at Saddleback Community College and my experiences thus far have been fantastic! Classes usually meet once a week for 5 hours. This gives the student ample time to prepare...
I've experimented with juicing over the years, not as a lifestyle by any means, but I do believe science backs up the fact that many vegetables have nutritional value that is lost during the...
Keep an eye out for discounts, I purchased two of these units and one of the two I was able to score a coupon code for a $50.00 discount! Sous Vide gear has been consistently coming down in...
The best recipes to prepare at home are not always those found on the latest cooking program or come from trying to replicate the goodness found at the hottest restaurant. Some recipes may even be...
Suggestions for good Thai cookbook
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Either of David Thompsons books are great.
Keo Sananikone's book, from his Hawaiian restaurant Keo's is a very informative and nicely illustrated book. I've cooked many of his recipes, and loved them all.
I own the following book which I use all the time: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thai-Cooking-Bastyra-Becky-Johnson/dp/1844769283/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1286399544&sr=8-22
Not only is it a great Thai cookbook with recipes that work really well, but the book is very well done. Each recipe has a full page photo of the dish. But what I really love about that book is the 65 page section on Thailand's history, the different regions and their culture, the food in the different regions, the cookware and utensils used by Thai cooks, the products, the fish, etc etc... even the rice section describes all the different rice from black glutinous rice to Jasmine rice, and it describes the different methods for cooking rice.
More importantly than the recipes is, do you have a place to buy common Thai ingredients locally? If there are no Thai restaurants in the area than there are more than likely less stores stocking the ingredients too. I sometimes have that problem, get all hungry for a recipe only to not find all the items
As far as recipes books, most of my Thai books are about fruit and vegetable carvings
Good point that. I'd like to think that Albany would have at least one decent Asian market, but I don't have a clue if you can get lemon grass, Thai basil, galangal, cilantro root, Thai chili peppers and the like there. Here, many ordinary supermarket chains will carry canned and packaged Thai ingredients (which in any event could be mail ordered), but the fresh stuff might be a bit trickier.
I actually found the same cook book, it was the most recent one I have purchased, what are the odds of that.
- Suggestions for good Thai cookbook
- › What do you think of this wording? (and help me with gumbo) 26 minutes ago
- › Main courses prepared night before 32 minutes ago
- › Brunch Menu Ideas 41 minutes ago
- › TV has a new "worst cooking show ever" 49 minutes ago
- › What's the opposite of the term al dente 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › More restaurants need..... 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › Working on a Business Plan - How much do I pay the chef? 2 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › For the love of Caramel's will someone please tell me...... 2 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Rent a commercial Licsesed kitchen business 2 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Where is K-Girl These Days? 2 hours, 36 minutes ago
- › Betty Crocker The Big Book of Cookies (Betty Crocker Big Book) by Cami
- › Saddleback College - Food and Nutrition Department by robstathem
- › Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Commercial Masticating Juicer, Black... by eastshores
- › Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator (Black) by eastshores
- › Polish Classic Recipes (Classics Series) by Jim Berman
- › Johnson and Wales University - Providence, RI by chefwriter
- › The Art Institute of California - Hollywood by ChefTorres87
- › J.A. Henckels International Forged Synergy 8-Inch Chef's Knife by 13krama
- › The Complete Guide to Northern Gulf Seafood by Pete
- › MAC MTH-80 8" Chef's Knife w/ Dimples by LovelyFeyd