or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Professional Food Service › Professional Chefs › Stinky wrist watch ...Anyone know why they start to smell funky and/or have any suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stinky wrist watch ...Anyone know why they start to smell funky and/or have any suggestions?

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 

Hi, just curious if any of you out there have experienced the "stinky" wrist watch syndrome like I have. Any suggestions?

post #2 of 33

No, but I've always looped my watch through the 2nd from the top button on my chef coat.

Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
Reply
Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
Reply
post #3 of 33

I used to have that problem until I switched to silicon watch bands.  They're the best!  The only issue I've had with them is they seem not to be as sturdy as some bands.  Once I caught my watch on something and instead of the pin coming out it pulled thru the band, ruining it.  On another one the little loop that holds the extra length of the band ripped off.  Still, they won't mildew, rot or decay...more than I can say for nylon or leather.  And they don't get brittle like plastic ones.

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
post #4 of 33

really? this is the kind of post that separates the real chefs from the chefs-in-name/not/otherwise professional/"professional"/like Subway "professional"?

 

gonna hold this one against you guys/(folks) around 5 years later, when i get over being pissed off about ed always pissing me off... yes CHEF!

 

...

post #5 of 33

 No,  I can't say that I have had that happen to me.  I never wear my watch when I'm at work though.. company policy for one reason (no jewellery of any kind) and even before I started where I am now, I didn't wear it while I was working. 

OK ... where am I going?.. and WHY am I in this handbasket??
Reply
OK ... where am I going?.. and WHY am I in this handbasket??
Reply
post #6 of 33

Why would you wear a wristwatch while working in a kitchen?

Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
post #7 of 33

I would never wear a watch at work. First of all I remember taking a course to get my Food Safe certificate and they recommend not wearing a watch so there's that. I think they say people are less likely to wash their hands properly (all the way up the wrist/forearm) when wearing a watch. Besides the bacteria that can collect underneath it there is also a very good chance you are going to ruin or break it. I saw another thread about "stinky watches". That stink is all the nasty bacteria and filth that has collected in the wristwatch and between the skin and band.

post #8 of 33

Why wouldn't I wear a wristwatch while working in the kitchen? I know that people say because of sanitation. My watch is waterproof stainless steel and gets cleaned and dunked dunked in sanitation solution on a regular basis while working just like the rest of my tools. How many people wear wedding bands while working? Does sanitation concerns not apply to them?

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #9 of 33

I worked at one place that allowed weddingbands if they were just gold band with no stones in it.  I think there was more worry about a stone falling into someone's food than there was the bacteria that could be lurking underneath and around the band.  My weddingband has diamonds in it so I had to take it off.

 

As for a watch for me I just don't feel comfortable cooking or working with it on.  I can't explain it... I just feel uncomfortable with it there.

OK ... where am I going?.. and WHY am I in this handbasket??
Reply
OK ... where am I going?.. and WHY am I in this handbasket??
Reply
post #10 of 33

Funk = bacteria. Simple.

 

post #11 of 33

CULIANUTHIAST !

You may be P O many times throughout your life. That's the breaks. When I was serving my apprenticeship over 45 years ago, I got   P O also, I learned from it, and how to deal with it and  got a lot wiser and smarter as I grew up and got older. Maybe you will to.?

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culinuthiast View Post

really? this is the kind of post that separates the real chefs from the chefs-in-name/not/otherwise professional/"professional"/like Subway "professional"?

 

gonna hold this one against you guys/(folks) around 5 years later, when i get over being pissed off about ed always pissing me off... yes CHEF!

 

...

Yes, this IS the kind of post that separates professionals, whether they be chefs, cooks, or helpers, from the pretenders.

 

This is a "food safety issue", not a personal choice or preference. This is in the same category as "washing your hands" properly, and a watch does NOT make that task any easier or safer.

 

If you work in a licensed, inspected kitchen under the auspices of the "Food Code", lose the jewelry (rings, bracelets, watches, necklaces, etc.) and the "body piercings"! If you ABSOLUTELY MUST, the Food Code does allow for smooth wedding bands and, I think (I don't wear them) plain, non-dangling, ear studs.

 

Oh, BTW, COVER your hair while you are at it!
 

Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
post #13 of 33

It's simple really......

 

Your watch is attached to your body, which is at the ideal temp for bacteria to mulitply.

Your watch has countless cracks and crevises for food particles to get trapped in to.

 

Figure it out....

 

Keerist, wht's next? Learning how to wipe yer butt? 

...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culinuthiast View Post

really? this is the kind of post that separates the real chefs from the chefs-in-name/not/otherwise professional/"professional"/like Subway "professional"?

 

gonna hold this one against you guys/(folks) around 5 years later, when i get over being pissed off about ed always pissing me off... yes CHEF!

 

...

 

I would say this is a post  from a real chef because a culianry student/ chef wannabe would be all offended by a post like this.

 

Regarding the watch if it is stinky it is time for a new watch. Common sense. Me, I use a pocket watch + it looks cool when you whip it out.

 

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Reply
Fluctuat nec mergitur
Reply
post #15 of 33

I wear a watch plenty at work, I'm just responsible about it... Use gloves and roll them up over your watch. Get the soap and water in and around your wristband when you wash your hands, and scrub your watch down really well every couple of days. You're not certainly to doom somebody for wearing a watch, but its something you need to be able to keep up with and be accountable for. If you can't handle that, then don't wear the watch at work.

post #16 of 33

I'd freak out without a watch.  There's only one clock in the kitchen where I work, but I constantly gauge my progress setting up and prepping by watching the time.  I consider a watch a near-necessity, but that's just me.  The reason they get "funky" is pretty simple- they tend to get wet a lot.  If the band is leather or linen of some type it will absorb moisture, making it an ideal place to grow your own little bacteria colony.  This doesn't really happen much with silicone since water doesn't penetrate the band- it dries almost instantly.  Silicone also seems pretty impervious to the thing you'd normally use as sanitizer (eg bleach and quaternary iodine).

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
post #17 of 33

I always carry my watch in my pocket as sometime I am in areas away from kitchen and need watch so time of service can be assured. Also less chance of watch face scratching.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #18 of 33

I wear a wrist strap that protects me from the occasional 'oven bite'. When it gets a little gnarly I soak it in oxy clean, then let it dry. 

post #19 of 33

Upon starting this new job as a cook (in training), one of the first things I bought myself was a Timex Expedition "indestructable" type watch.  I've always worn a watch so I feel naked without one, and in addition I figured I'd need it to keep track of cooking times and such.

 

I noticed immediately that nobody else uses one, and that most of the time I'm not using mine either since the food I'm doing (convection oven) is "timed" by sight and feel.  I've continued to wear it out of habit, but I may stop soon.

 

I realized the need to clean it regularly after day one, along with my shoes.  I dig the pocket watch idea, definitely a cool-factor there...

post #20 of 33

I don't ever wear a watch. Ever. Well unless I'm going out I'll rock my watch but for the most part never. Haven't for years due to work and skateboarding. 

post #21 of 33

sounds like a lot of extra effort for nothing.  put a clock on the wall. problem solved.  wearing a watch while cooking is gross.  if you're the kind of chef that has a clipboard and hasn't touched a pan in 5 years, unless senselessly tossing or shaking one of the cook's pans, then a watch is cool.  but if you're a bad*** that actually cooks, rid yourself of the extra weight on your wrist.

post #22 of 33

At work ,keep your watch in your pocket and not on your wrist

post #23 of 33

If you dont want to wrench your neck around to look at a clock all the time, get a pocket watch. My leather wristwatch molded over at work, so I took off the band and turned it into a pocket watch with a camera safety loop thing.


Edited by Mustaroad - 12/11/10 at 11:11pm

California Cook

Reply

California Cook

Reply
post #24 of 33

LOL LOL I don't think I have ever wrenched my neck looking at a clock! It is a lot easier to look at a clock than fumble in your pocket for a watch. Why do you need to look at the clock all the time? If I am timing anything I have timer that beeps at me. I have two watches and never wear any of them to work, even when cooking at home I take them off. It is not only bad hygiene but it is also a risk of cross contamination.

post #25 of 33

On seccond though, its rediculous to have a pocet watch at work. beeping alarm clock? genious. Im a culinary student and in Lab the professor is always barking " 5 minutes till bla bla bla " and "forty five minutes till you start this", while you have something on the oven and stove that have different completion times. (helps to stay on top of the others when I know whats going down a la minute with a pocket watch).

California Cook

Reply

California Cook

Reply
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustaroad View Post

On seccond though, its rediculous to have a pocet watch at work. beeping alarm clock? genious. Im a culinary student and in Lab the professor is always barking " 5 minutes till bla bla bla " and "forty five minutes till you start this", while you have something on the oven and stove that have different completion times. (helps to stay on top of the others when I know whats going down a la minute with a pocket watch).



It's not ridiculous, each to their own Mustaroad. When I am working I prefer nothing in my pockets, no clutter, freedom and comfort. I sometimes refer to my whites as my pyjamas.

post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanwill22 View Post

sounds like a lot of extra effort for nothing.  put a clock on the wall. problem solved.  wearing a watch while cooking is gross.  if you're the kind of chef that has a clipboard and hasn't touched a pan in 5 years, unless senselessly tossing or shaking one of the cook's pans, then a watch is cool.  but if you're a bad*** that actually cooks, rid yourself of the extra weight on your wrist.


Ha ha I like this, can we have a "like" button please?

post #28 of 33

So big deal you wear a watch.  Personal preference.  If as you say it's waterproof, when you get in the shower at the end of the day wash it down like it's part of your body.  End of story.  The only opinion about this is yours.  Wear it don't wear it, but keep it clean.  All this other stuff is just a bunch of blah blah blah.

 

Chagal

post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagal View Post

So big deal you wear a watch.  Personal preference.  If as you say it's waterproof, when you get in the shower at the end of the day wash it down like it's part of your body.  End of story.  The only opinion about this is yours.  Wear it don't wear it, but keep it clean.  All this other stuff is just a bunch of blah blah blah.

 

Chagal


I'd hardly consider the cross-contamination risk associated with wearing a watch "blah blah blah". Maybe some cooks and chefs have the time to sanitize their watch between tasks, but I have the feeling most do not.

Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
Reply
Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
Reply
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagal View Post

So big deal you wear a watch.  Personal preference.  If as you say it's waterproof, when you get in the shower at the end of the day wash it down like it's part of your body.  End of story.  The only opinion about this is yours.  Wear it don't wear it, but keep it clean.  All this other stuff is just a bunch of blah blah blah.

 

Chagal


Nope.

 

Crud lodges in the catch, hinges, and bezel.  Crud will fall out of the catch, hinges, and bezel when IT wants to--usually when your hand is over food.

 

And if a health inpector walks in, stuff it in your pocket.  
 

...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Professional Chefs
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Professional Food Service › Professional Chefs › Stinky wrist watch ...Anyone know why they start to smell funky and/or have any suggestions?