I went to try out some knives today and decided on a Santoku. The two I liked best are the MAC Pro 6 1/2" Santoku w/ dimples and the MAC Damascus 7" Santoku. I like the handle on the Damascus a little better, but it's $100 more. I'm wondering if there is a big difference with the performance of the blades? Is the Damascus blade better (stronger, stay sharp longer, etc.) or just prettier?
Related Forum Threads
- MAC Professional VS. Misono UX10 VS. Wusthof Ikon Last post on 9/27/10 at 8:23am in Cooking Knife Reviews
- My New MAC Pro Mighty 9.5" Chef's knife Last post on 12/26/10 at 8:50am in Cooking Knife Reviews
- bread knives Last post on 3/1/08 at 2:23am in Cooking Knife Reviews
- Wusthof's new XLine versus Classic Ikon? Last post on 4/9/14 at 9:23am in Cooking Knife Reviews
- first proper knife purchase Last post on 3/23/11 at 1:57pm in Cooking Knife Reviews
How To Sharpen A Chefs Knife
Last edited: 1/7/12
- SantokuLast edited: 8/25/10
- Japanese Knives 101Last edited: 5/7/13
- Chef Knives How To Really Use ThemLast edited: 2/16/10
- How To Use A Chef Knife Part IILast edited: 8/31/13
So far im loving this school this is just my first semester so i can't judge to much but coming from my last school henry ford community college schoolcraft community college is so much better the...
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
MAC Pro vs. MAC Damascuspost #1 of 711/30/10 at 5:07pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 711/30/10 at 5:24pm
Hm, I'm fairly familiar with MAC knives and was NOT aware that there was a MAC Damascus 7" Santoku, in fact, I checked the U.S. A. Distributor's website, http://www.macknife.com/ , and cannot seem to find such a knife.
Perhaps you have a link?Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; CatererChef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Catererpost #3 of 711/30/10 at 5:28pmThread Starter
I didn't see it on the MAC website either. But this is the one I was referring to: http://www.spitjack.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MAC-DAMASCUS-SANTOKU-7&Category_Code=KITCHEN-KNIVES&Store_Code=SJ
By the way, the guy at the shop said it's a fairly new item.post #4 of 711/30/10 at 5:43pmpost #5 of 711/30/10 at 6:06pmThread StarterQuote:
Good to know, thank you.
The only reservation I have with the Pro is the smaller handle. It will be fine for me but I don't know about my husband. I'll have to take him to the store and have him try it out.
post #6 of 712/1/10 at 12:57pm
I would not bother with the Damascus, it is for looks, the core of the knife is steel like any other knife. Mac does not specify the qualities of the steel in the layers so I am assuming they are the same and serve no true purpose. A true Damascus blade uses the differences in the layers of steel to provide strength/ hardness and flexibility so the blade does not shatter during combat, you would be hard pressed to shatter a knife during combat with a chicken breast.Fluctuat nec mergiturFluctuat nec mergiturpost #7 of 712/4/10 at 5:00pmThread Starter
So, I ended up with 2 knives. The MAC pro santoku and the Sai damascus santoku. The handle on the MAC was just a little small for my husband. The stores did not have the MAC damascus santoku, but one had the Sai. The look and feel of the Sai is almost identical to the MAC, has the same handle and very similar in weight. And, the Sai was a little cheaper.
- MAC Pro vs. MAC Damascus
- › Another Chef's knife question :) 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › How To Make An Amazing Tuna Fish Sandwich? 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › When do you tell the chef..... 2 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Culinary program in DFW Texas area 2 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Buying First Knives. Looking for Help 3 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Anyone planning a Halloween horror dinner menu? 3 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › Pricing coffee service 4 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Canned and Dry goods brainstorming 4 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Tadafusa--Gyuto recommendations 5 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 5 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked