Originally Posted by PeteMcCracken
Originally Posted by reyesryanmjaube
Good question. I actually hate the smell of margarine.... With that said, i'll try to find the best butter available here and give it a shot :)
What about baking puff pastry with shortening?
I don't believe you will be successful, the moisture in the butter, 15-20%, creates the steam necessary for the "puff", at least that is what I've been told.
Huh? I was told that margarine has more water content than butter. And yeah, a quick google search proved this.
"The Food and Drug Administration says that before a product can call itself a "margarine," it has to be at least 80 percent fat by weight. Most of the other 20 percent is water."
"Fine butter and salted butter (salt content approx. 2 %) may have a water content of 14 % to 18
% at the most after delivery by the butter worker. The quality criteria stipulate that only butter
with a max. water content of 16% may be sold. If the moisture content is too low, on the other
hand, the butter specific characteristics may be adversely affected. "
And believe it or not, I also relied in that theory so I was not hesitant to use margarine. Here's my post in another forum.
"You'll be surprised, I only used the cheapest margarine I can find. Dari Creme. In theory, the fat separates the layers of the dough and the steam 'puffs' it up. I've learned that most bakers or pastry chefs tend to lean away from any type of margarine because of its distinct artificial flavor (can't do anything about that) and high water content. That made me think. If my layer separators (butter) have more water in it and water turns to steam when baked, the greater it will rise. So I tried it and as you can see, I got decent results. (I applied the pate a choux theory... in a way)"