I'd like to introduce to you a version of Vietnamese cube steaks, which they called as "Bò Lúc Lắc" (shaking beef if we translated it literally); This dish could be served as either appetizer or main dish. It's very easy and fast to make and quite yummy to enjoy.
Ingredients: (for about 4 servings)
- 1.5-2 lbs ribeye steaks (cube cuts about 1" square)
- 1 tbsp garlic (mashed and chopped)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or Maggie sauce)
- 1/2 half red onion (lightly pickled in half strength vinegrette solution)
- 1 bundle of organic watercrest
- 2 tomatoes (slices)
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive or cooking oil
- a French baguette
Basic ingredients for Sai-Gon's cube steaks
* For pickle onion; we use 1 cup of water mix with 1/4 cup vinegar, a dash of salt + 1 tsp sugar, and we could enhance its aroma by add is some finely julien basics or Thai's Kaffir lime leaves (lime rind would also serve the same purpose).
* We could prepare a bed of watercrest or romaine heart lettuce and arrange slices of tomatoes for contrasting color and tastes.
* Lightly seasoned the cube steaks with about 1/2 tsp of kosher salt + 1/2 tsp cracked white or black people (finely ground pepper would not provide same taste) + 2 tbsp of olive or regular cooking oil + freshly chopped garlic (the more the merrier though)
* Use a large skillet, add in couple tbsp cooking oils @ very high heat (we would need hight BTU for basic quick stir fry technique), toss in 1/2 portion of the cube steaks, it should create a "flambe" effects, which we would need to enhance the aromas; we toss the cube steaks for about 1 minutes then add in 1 tbsp of soy sauce, continue for another minutes, it should be done. Repeat the process with the other half.
*Place the cooked cube steaks on the arranged plate of lettuce or watercrest accordingly.
*Now, place the pickled onion on top of the meats and garnish it with a tip of basil or cilantro. A wedge of fresh lime is also nicely accompanied this plate of cube steaks. Of course, it's served with the baguette.
I would need a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon to accompany this portion.