My chef sweetheart and I have been turning on to paella since being invited to a 3-chef "Paella Throwdown". We keep finding recipes that call for frozen peas. What is up with THAT? Is Spain filled with little English gardens filled with delicate pea pods, or are cookbook writers looking for color, or are peas truly traditional in paella?
Related Forum Threads
- Paella and Jambalaya rice recipe Last post on 10/4/09 at 7:20am in Food & Cooking
- Spanish Paella Last post on 1/15/14 at 1:56am in Recipes
- What is a typical water/broth to rice ratio for paella? Last post on 8/14/09 at 3:36pm in Food & Cooking
- Paella on a charcoal grill, will that work? Last post on 8/15/09 at 4:19am in Food & Cooking
- Paella Recipe? Can anyone help Last post on 4/28/09 at 8:25am in Recipes
Last edited: 1/21/12
- Chinese Black Forbidden RiceLast edited: 1/21/12
- Basmati RiceLast edited: 1/21/12
- Italian Rice Dishes By Diane SeedLast edited: 2/16/10
I bought this as an experiment and I am very happy with it. As I have tried it for cooking more things, it has exceeded my expectations. I can sautee at a high or low temperature, I can simmer...
I had seen these before but thought they were too limited in use. Then a friend gave me this one. It converted me with the first use. A bit of a downward chop from one end and rocking rolling...
Almost 6 years ago we purchased this slicer and it's still going strong. I believe I originally posted something in equipment reviews so hopefully, this can serve as an update. The first item...
Last year, we had some money remaining on a gift card and while we purchased this item almost as an impulse and what a terrific find it was. Already owning a truly great large capacity food...
Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) in Boston MA, offers both certificate and A.S. degree programs in both Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts. Although BHCC has an enrollment of over 12,000...
Anybody out there a PAELLA GOD?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 41/19/11 at 5:51pmpost #3 of 41/19/11 at 6:46pm
My wife is Latino and I have made Paella a couple of times, even thought it's probably not been "classic". It has been very good and my guests have enjoyed it. I think the pea's are more for astetic's than flavor, something to bring color and an appealing balance to the dish. The peas certainly get lost in the flavors and do not stand out by themselves. Kind of offset's the yellow in the rest of this dish.post #4 of 41/19/11 at 10:05pm
They are in many recipes but I would only add them if in season. Paella is a lot like jambalaya in that you can use it to get rid of leftovers while also taking advantage of what you have fresh on hand. Here is a Jose Andres recipe that looks tasty.
And just becuase I wanted to show off a little. Here is a jambalaya I made over my Uncle's campfire pit in a giant steel skillet. Much in the style of a paella.
- Anybody out there a PAELLA GOD?
- Chinese Black Forbidden Rice
- › Burgers, stuffed or not 17 minutes ago
- › Harissa 26 minutes ago
- › Need a new breakfast pototo 43 minutes ago
- › Does Saffron Go Bad? cooking ideas.... 47 minutes ago
- › When to add vegetables and chicken to a sauce? 2 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › February 2015 Challenge - Fungi! 2 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › My coq au vin 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › scones bitter taste 2 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Can you substitute olive oil or any other vegetable oil with butter? 2 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Advice on knife sharpening 2 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › Presto 06626 11 inch Electric Skillet w/glass lid by OregonYeti
- › American Metalcraft PKR20 Stainless Steel Rocker Pizza Knife, 20-Inch by phatch
- › Chef's Choice 662 International Professional Electric Food... by oldschool1982
- › Cuisinart CGC-4BCPC - Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor by oldschool1982
- › Bunker Hill Community College - Culinary Arts Program by Joyo
- › Demeyere 7-ply pans by ChrisBelgium
- › Le Creuset Magnetik by ChrisBelgium
- › Savage Supply Co. "Rocco" Knife Roll by Jim Berman
- › Better Than Bouillon - Clam Base - 8 oz. by chefedb
- › Nutri Bullet NBR-12 12-Piece Hi-Speed Blender/Mixer System by PassTheGravy
- › Leaving the Business: The Dark Side
- › Infiltrating The Kitchen!
- › Perfect Choux Pastry
- › The Secret to a Sexy Fettuccine Alfredo
- › Milanese Creamy Pesto
- › Steak Cooking 101 (home/indoor) by a Pro
- › Chef shortcuts for holiday goodies
- › Forgotten Christmas Candy - Divinity and...
- › Der Kuchen
- › Keeping Great Employees