My chef sweetheart and I have been turning on to paella since being invited to a 3-chef "Paella Throwdown". We keep finding recipes that call for frozen peas. What is up with THAT? Is Spain filled with little English gardens filled with delicate pea pods, or are cookbook writers looking for color, or are peas truly traditional in paella?
Related Forum Threads
- Paella and Jambalaya rice recipe Last post on 10/4/09 at 7:20am in Food & Cooking
- Spanish Paella Last post on 1/15/14 at 1:56am in Recipes
- What is a typical water/broth to rice ratio for paella? Last post on 8/14/09 at 3:36pm in Food & Cooking
- Paella on a charcoal grill, will that work? Last post on 8/15/09 at 4:19am in Food & Cooking
- Paella Recipe? Can anyone help Last post on 4/28/09 at 8:25am in Recipes
Last edited: 1/21/12
- Chinese Black Forbidden RiceLast edited: 1/21/12
- Basmati RiceLast edited: 1/21/12
- Italian Rice Dishes By Diane SeedLast edited: 2/16/10
I'm heading into my 4th summer with this factory refurbished machine. It has been reliable and does the job it is intended to do very well, though a bit loudly. I use it heavily during the summer...
Overall, since purchasing this knife, I have not been disappointed at all. The highlights, begin with the rounded hilt and blade top, which reduce the stress on the palms and make calluses a...
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
Anybody out there a PAELLA GOD?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 41/19/11 at 5:51pmpost #3 of 41/19/11 at 6:46pm
My wife is Latino and I have made Paella a couple of times, even thought it's probably not been "classic". It has been very good and my guests have enjoyed it. I think the pea's are more for astetic's than flavor, something to bring color and an appealing balance to the dish. The peas certainly get lost in the flavors and do not stand out by themselves. Kind of offset's the yellow in the rest of this dish.post #4 of 41/19/11 at 10:05pm
They are in many recipes but I would only add them if in season. Paella is a lot like jambalaya in that you can use it to get rid of leftovers while also taking advantage of what you have fresh on hand. Here is a Jose Andres recipe that looks tasty.
And just becuase I wanted to show off a little. Here is a jambalaya I made over my Uncle's campfire pit in a giant steel skillet. Much in the style of a paella.
- Anybody out there a PAELLA GOD?
- Chinese Black Forbidden Rice
- › Menu idea 10 minutes ago
- › Should I run away or toward? 10 minutes ago
- › Greetings to all! :) 13 minutes ago
- › Whats up every one. 14 minutes ago
- › Greetings and Salutations From Sunny South Africa (that's a lie in... 14 minutes ago
- › Cooking the starch flavor out 2 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Whole lobster 4 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Bologna 6 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Rolling pasta by hand 8 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Party planning, how much to buy? 12 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt,... by ChicagoTerry
- › Friedr. Dick 1905 Exclusive Series 10-Inch Chef's Knife by JVKolich
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Saturday Night Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp...
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream