My chef sweetheart and I have been turning on to paella since being invited to a 3-chef "Paella Throwdown". We keep finding recipes that call for frozen peas. What is up with THAT? Is Spain filled with little English gardens filled with delicate pea pods, or are cookbook writers looking for color, or are peas truly traditional in paella?
Related Forum Threads
- Paella and Jambalaya rice recipe Last post on 10/4/09 at 7:20am in Food & Cooking
- Spanish Paella Last post on 1/15/14 at 1:56am in Recipes
- What is a typical water/broth to rice ratio for paella? Last post on 8/14/09 at 3:36pm in Food & Cooking
- Paella on a charcoal grill, will that work? Last post on 8/15/09 at 4:19am in Food & Cooking
- Paella Recipe? Can anyone help Last post on 4/28/09 at 8:25am in Recipes
Last edited: 1/21/12
- Chinese Black Forbidden RiceLast edited: 1/21/12
- Basmati RiceLast edited: 1/21/12
- Italian Rice Dishes By Diane SeedLast edited: 2/16/10
I got mine a little over two years ago as a christmas gift and I still use it every day. An overall solid knife, nothing to write home about, but out of the box it'll cut anything you need it to,...
Almost 2 years ago now, ChefTalk had a random-draw giveaway for one of these cutting boards. What you had to do was to write a review of a cutting board you use. I wrote one, and it was randomly...
This is a great book written by a very passionate pastry chef. In many ways, a home cook might never need anything more. There are recipes for all seasons and Jacquay covers the details completely....
A basic oil stone for knife maintenance. I use the coarse side for setting initial bevels and repairing blade damage. The coarse side is P150 and is grey I use the fine side to finish the edge....
It was a delight ordering my board from John. he was very helpful discussing the pros and cons of adding feet (I did and I like them.) He was friendly and helpful to all my enquiries, then made...
Anybody out there a PAELLA GOD?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 41/19/11 at 5:51pmpost #3 of 41/19/11 at 6:46pm
My wife is Latino and I have made Paella a couple of times, even thought it's probably not been "classic". It has been very good and my guests have enjoyed it. I think the pea's are more for astetic's than flavor, something to bring color and an appealing balance to the dish. The peas certainly get lost in the flavors and do not stand out by themselves. Kind of offset's the yellow in the rest of this dish.post #4 of 41/19/11 at 10:05pm
They are in many recipes but I would only add them if in season. Paella is a lot like jambalaya in that you can use it to get rid of leftovers while also taking advantage of what you have fresh on hand. Here is a Jose Andres recipe that looks tasty.
And just becuase I wanted to show off a little. Here is a jambalaya I made over my Uncle's campfire pit in a giant steel skillet. Much in the style of a paella.
- Anybody out there a PAELLA GOD?
- Chinese Black Forbidden Rice
- › Pie Crust 52 minutes ago
- › Review Hobart N50 5 Qt Mixer - a year later 55 minutes ago
- › Hows the food scene in Canada? Vancouver? 2 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Why did you become a chef? 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › More VEG prep 6 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › What are the best/your favorite fillings for arepas? 6 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › Did or did you not go to culinary school? Was it worth it? 7 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › My taste buds is not good? 9 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Has any of you worked in Cambodia? 9 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › February 2017 Cooking Challenge - Citrus 9 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Global 8-Inch 20cm Cook's Knife by NikoBleau
- › John Boos Newton Prep Master Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board... by ChrisLehrer
- › The Art of French Pastry by Jacquy Pfeiffer by OCDshaver
- › Norton 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India... by Scott Livesey
- › The Board Smith Maple 2″x12″x18″ by tobe999
- › Orange Coast College Culinary Arts by dumpling
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by Mustardpot
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise
- › A "No Turkey" Thanksgiving-Roast Pork
- › Caramelized Cauliflower
- › Holiday Entertaining-Cocktails