or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › im a nurse but i want to be a chef! :D any tips?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

im a nurse but i want to be a chef! :D any tips? - Page 2

post #31 of 83

I meant no offense of course and I'm not implying that being a chef is easy because we all know it isn't.  All of this stress stuff is relative of course, I mean my girlfriend gets "stressed out" playing Mario Kart.  I've worked in a large hotel both in the restaurant and doing banquets--I'd argue that your job is more stressful in the slow season when you are NOT doing 1500 covers and hours are being cut and people are being fired.  1500 covers a day is a great problem to have.  1500 sick people is not.  Of course you are right that both can be stressful, but I personally wouldn't deter anyone from going into professional cooking because of the stressful working environment.  IMO its no worse than most jobs.

post #32 of 83

What makes America great is we all are entitled to our own opinions.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #33 of 83
Thread Starter 

haha. we don't need to compare professions here :) i respect the work of nurses as much as i do with the chefs' . i just think that a job becomes less stressful when you enjoy it. my work as a nurse is fine. after college you'll start working and working and working until ur retirement. and i wanna see myself as a chef in those years.. with this thread i was able to open my mind to different opinions from nurses and chefs which are very sincere and honest.. my sincerest gratitude to all of you. thank u so much. :)

post #34 of 83

Another point to consider. You say upon retirement  The future of the chefing business as we know it today is bleak. Kitchen food managers are the future and is being done as we speak. With labor cost as they are, management is cutting down an going into mass produced prepared items made in 1 central place and shipped out. Therefore each unit will have cooks or dish out guys only. There will still be a few good places, but not enough for all chefs to work.

     In your nursing career I am sure you see that nurses per floor have been cut down as well as others. A central desk where sensors will moniter ALL the patients and instead of nurses checking patients TV and sound devices and various hook-ups will, like ICU units do now

    For all owners and corporations'' Labor Savings'' is the name of the game which inturn  equals more profit at everyones expense.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #35 of 83

I have to respectfully disagree because in my bleak sate of Michigan, where we have been in a recession longer than the rest of the country, there aren't nursing jobs. There are graduates with honors not being able to find a job. The flip side is that food service jobs are actually on the rise here because Michigan is becoming known for a food and wine destination. The facts are that machines are not going to replace cooks and chefs in the whole country. People might be poor but they will never stop looking for delicious meals.

 

It also reiterates the statement that you don't go into cooking for the money, because its not going to happen fast. My instructor has many friends that own restaurants and catering businesses and they are actually millionaires, and they are NOT on tv. They just work their tails off allllll the time.

 

My final point is this. I have not even graduated yet and I have been asked personally by 2 people in 2 different restaurants if I want a job. Meanwhile there are no jobs for nursing or radiology in Lansing, as I was trying to go for an xray tech before switching to culinary. I am not aspiring to be a cook, I aspire to be a chef. I will work my way to that title and it will be an amazing and humble journey!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefedb View Post

Another point to consider. You say upon retirement  The future of the chefing business as we know it today is bleak. Kitchen food managers are the future and is being done as we speak. With labor cost as they are, management is cutting down an going into mass produced prepared items made in 1 central place and shipped out. Therefore each unit will have cooks or dish out guys only. There will still be a few good places, but not enough for all chefs to work.

     In your nursing career I am sure you see that nurses per floor have been cut down as well as others. A central desk where sensors will moniter ALL the patients and instead of nurses checking patients TV and sound devices and various hook-ups will, like ICU units do now

    For all owners and corporations'' Labor Savings'' is the name of the game which inturn  equals more profit at everyones expense.



 

post #36 of 83

Candy CLC , Send all your nurses here to Florida where they can name their own price.  RNs and LPNs are in short supply here. $50 to $85,000.00 year here shoud not be a problem.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #37 of 83
ever heard." if you love to cook don't do it for a living", salaries low,
tough hours, no holidays, murphies law etc. beyond that, rewarding and satisfying.
good luck
post #38 of 83
Thread Starter 


--i couldn't agree more! :D there aren't nursing jobs  even for graduates with honors. even if they do they are not well compensated. i'm a nurse, i should know.:D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCLC View Post

...there aren't nursing jobs. There are graduates with honors not being able to find a job. People might be poor but they will never stop looking for delicious meals.

...I am not aspiring to be a cook, I aspire to be a chef. I will work my way to that title and it will be an amazing and humble journey!

 

post #39 of 83

For what it is worth here is my two cents. After being in the business for around 15 years, running ChefTalk for over 10 now and hearing this statement so many times here it goes.

 

You are tired of being a nurse and now you want to be a chef? Why? Why are you tired of being a nurse? Ask yourself why did I become a nurse in the first place and how will becoming a chef be any different? As many of us who have been in the business or are still in the business it is not glamorous at all. It is filled with hot days, hard work, and many days, nights, and weekends away from loved ones. 

 

What is your passion? Find that and do it and you won't look for another career. Otherwise you will become a chef/cook, work for 2-3 years like most of the people I know who attended culinary school with and end up going back to being a nurse. Seriously most of the guys/gals I went to school with were French teachers, Attorneys, Accountants, Poly/Sci majors, you name they were it. They tried cooking and realized how little they got paid and how they had to work 3X as hard as they did for half the money and ended up returning to their old careers. 

 

Do not go to culinary school. Go work in a restaurant, catering company, etc for a minimum of one year and see what it is about. And, make sure if you work for a cake decorating shop, catering company, restaurant, that you work for someone who is profitable. Someone who knows how to make money at the business. Opening a restaurant or any kind of food related business, anyone can do that. Opening up a restaurant or food related business and making money at it there are only a few that do that well and that is who you want to learn from and watch.

 

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
post #40 of 83

Ditto what Nicko stated.

 

If you're looking for income, take the 60k (for culinary school) and buy lotto tickets, you'll probably get a better return on your investment!

 

Cooking is a TRADE for heaven's sake! IMHO, I would NEVER pay more than 3 months starting pay to get entry level training for any trade. That's around $4,000-$5,500 for culinary workers. If you really have to "go to school", look to community colleges first.

 

Oh wait, you want to OWN a restaurant? Forget culinary training, you can always hire line cooks and kitchen help, Get educated in business, business law, accounting, personnel management, marketing, advertising, business finance, labor law, not necessarily a degree but the KNOWLEDGE.

Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcCracken View Post

 

If you're looking for income, take the 60k (for culinary school) and buy lotto tickets, you'll probably get a better return on your investment!

 

 



 

biggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gifbiggrin.gifeek.giflol.gifcrazy.gif

Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
post #42 of 83

Hello. This blog is quite informational.  I use to want to do both.. culinary and nursing. (So.. I thought). I know now.. much ... later down the road, neither is my passion or talent.  Both are respectable careers. Both intense. Both stressful. I have to say these two careers are very popular. Cosmetology is also another career that potential or former nurses tend to gravitate towards.  Personally..... I found much information that is given on here is first hand and from direct experiences. I would take this seriously... and from the people in the business of cooking for a living.  It would be nice.. to think that everyone who loves to cook, could become the next Food Network Star. But.. as many have painted the picture perfectly on here.. that is not usually the reality of the business.  Sure... you can continue on with school and take journalism and try to get into becoming a food critic/writer. That is a much better option. I once looked into being  a food stylist. But.. you would need culinary school for this. You can become a food photographer as well. "The World Is Your Oyster" remember that always. However.. I found out from working in a hotel and being allowed to help in the kitchen there, as well as in bakeries and making pizza's.. that the food industry is absolutely.. hard and grueling work at times. The kitchen workers always get yelled at by the cook, and the kitchen had not only the smell of foods.. but "sweat". It is also a male dominated industry.. that yes.. has women today coming aboard.. but not without some harsh times and criticisms.  You can take a Personal Chef Course.. that is less intense then cooking school. But.. IF.. I were to have gone to cooking school at your age... I would not settle for anything less then the top school name in America. The CIA School. The students of that school write their own tickets.  Then... once your out and gain experience working in kitchens.. try out for "The Next Food Network Star". Why not.  But.. the person who suggested catering experience and opening a catering company.. was smart. I use to work for one.. and it was short lived.. because it was super hot in the kitchen, heavy lifting and yes.. a lot of heavy duty cleaning..of floors, burners etc.  Dish washing when you had to.  You had to wear many hats. I also watched a cake decorator... lifting super heavy buckets of icing and filling, while walking across wet floors. The hours are very later into the wee hours of the morning as the person above said. You are also cooking for a ton of people. Literally.  So.. I have had more then my share of a variety of cooking exposures and experience. I love.. watching The Food Network. I like cooking.. but rather have someone cook for me. I love .... baking. But.. not enough.. I realized to do either on a full time basis for low pay. You start low on the ranks and work up to Chef status. You don't just jump into that position. There are many ways you can fund opening a restaurant. You don't have to be a Cheg to do so. Personally... I had to dig deep. I went on many detours before coming to terms with what I would love to do.. what is me. No matter what.. you have to love what you do every day and then you won't have that empty feeling inside. I disagree with something a nurse said that people in Hollywood or not happy.  Most people don't just end up there.. they are following their passion and talents.  As I suggest you dig deeper to find your talents and strengths.  You have them. I realized for example.. I rather cook on occassion for a hobby and watch them cook on television.. and  visit some of the finer restaurants.. like Bobby Flay's etc.. then work at them.  I can as you attend cooking classes. There are many of them. I have them in my city up the road. There are ways to incorporate what you enjoy into your life. That is totally a different experience then doing it every day.. and realizing your are not cut out for doing it after all... Or making a huge transition to make a huge mistake. The best way to get a feel for what you want to do in life is to call around and ask to shadow in the back ground or volunteer for a day. You will see how things really are.  I was born with talents that I was not using. My dad, his uncle, my one brother and I are all artists. I am a writer, illustrator and have an excellent singing voice. When I found me again.. doors opened. I met a producer, an A list actor, worked with his crew at a job and spoke to some famous people. Not because.. that is where the money is... because I made it happen. It just fell into place for me.  You do spend most of your time at work. "When You Love What You Do.. And.. Do What And Whom You Are.. You Never Will Feel Like Your Working Another Day In Your Life!" That is when you found your claling. Many people fall into their careers or choose them un wisely. Some .. out grow them. But.. knowing whom you are is the most important element. I know.. now my talents. I can have endless opportunities.. I can do cartooning.. voice overs etc. I may do some acting. But.. all fall under the umbrella and scope of who I am and what talents I have that I was born with. I knew this from an early age. I was singled out in school and teachers all the way threw some College.. kept my work. Yep.  I have some special gifts. As I am sure do you. You .. as a nurse are in a position.. to not work for free.. but to Go back to College for something you truly want to do. Find your passions.  Life should not be about doing grueling work.. or hating being a nurse, because if your meant to be somewhere else.. nursing won't ever fill your heart with true joy.  I am glad I skipped being a chef and nurse. Because.. I would never have found my true calling.  Not everyone can be a nurse, chef . Not everyone like myself is artistic and can go in that direction. But.. It is not about what everyone else does.. or that seems more appealing to you then nursing. It is about who you truly are.. and what you want to accomplish in your life time.  Nursing to me is a calling. Like being a fire fighter or in the Military. It is a nagging that you must follow because it is calling you. I know... with this economy many are gravitating for the safety net and security that nursing brings. I have read countless blogs where many are doing it for their families .. kids and the money. Because they don't want to be or go homeless and starve. But.. that is not a good enough reason to do nursing or anything in my opinion and years of wisdom. The happiest people in the world are doing what they love to do. No matter what it may be. It is that they found their calling. Many people need to work for their kids/families and don't give their passions much time or thought.. beceause they have to provide.  But.. those who can find themselves and passions in life and pursue them.. are the happiest people when all is said  and done, because they are being true to themselves. Leaving this earth being true to yourself and who you truly are at the core is priceless. I could have walked anothers path.. as a nurse or chef. But.. I would have worn a hat that was not meant for me to wear. I am not saying you won't have to temporarily wear the hat you  chose in nursing. But.. if you made a huge mistake in choosing the wrong career path for you.. then you are comended for finding this out now.. and admitting that takes courage and growth as a person. Many people stay stuck in the wrong career. But that does not get you on track or course. It keeps you back and on the wrong path. Have you ever thought about becoming a holistic nurse?  I seen a web site on this and courses to become one. Or .. learning massage and getting more involved in physical therapy nursing.. Or.. taking  a organic or course in healthy cooking/ nutrition and maybe with your background as a nurse... you could branch out more in teaching others nutrition and the value of this all. People are more over weight today due to the added stresses of the economy etc. What the world needs is help in helping them lose weight and eating better. You might not need a culinary career for that. Those are fuller and sometimes more fattening areas you lean to cook.. full bodied.. which does no good for people with weight issues.  Healing can be done nutritionally with whole foods. Perhaps  you can expand on your nursing in a nutritinal way and get a position teaching others how to eat properly.. or become a diabetic counselor nurse.. OR a nutritionist. Nursing chose you.. many don't just choose nursing.. maybe your just meant to expand on it.. and do more. Good Luck. Hope this helps.     P>S>  When I write, illustrate, cartoon, voice overs, sing.. I am in my element and time slips away. It does not feel like work.. I would get paid to do.. Because.. " I 200% love what I do!smile.gif
 

post #43 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post

 

You are tired of being a nurse and now you want to be a chef? Why? Why are you tired of being a nurse? Ask yourself why did I become a nurse in the first place and how will becoming a chef be any different? As many of us who have been in the business or are still in the business it is not glamorous at all. It is filled with hot days, hard work, and many days, nights, and weekends away from loved ones. 

 

 

ikr.. the sad truth about "why did i become a nurse in the first place??" is because my parents wanted me to. and its just sooo very hard to disappoint my parents. i studied hard, get high honors and even nearly, almost graduated as one of Cum Laudes in our batch. after grad, i got my experience in the hospital but its really something i don't imagine doing for the rest of my life. NURSING ISN'T a glamorous job either. seriously. and it doesn't feel right when u wake up in the morning/evening, dragging your but out of bed to go to work. Im not happy.   I started this thread waaayyyyyyyyyy back, and just so you know all those who commented on this thread, In the present, I AM ALREADY ENROLLED IN  A CULINARY SCHOOL.. Sorry for disappointing you guys :( But as they say you only live your life once right? And if ever this doesn't end to what i would want to, i have to face the consequences of my decision.. Thank you so much for hearing me out :)

post #44 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starrynights View Post


 Many people fall into their careers or choose them un wisely. Some .. out grow them. But.. knowing whom you are is the most important element. It is about who you truly are.. and what you want to accomplish in your life time. 

 

HEY i really did find time to read your post, thanks a lot. a lot. thanks for your thoughts, thank you for taking time to share your story.. i was just quite confused with your latter sentences.. lol. i don't get it if you would really want me to go to professional culinary(which i really want) or expand my nursing career. thanks again. and btw, im already in a culinary school..... :P

post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiringchef View Post

 

ikr.. the sad truth about "why did i become a nurse in the first place??" is because my parents wanted me to. and its just sooo very hard to disappoint my parents. i studied hard, get high honors and even nearly, almost graduated as one of Cum Laudes in our batch. after grad, i got my experience in the hospital but its really something i don't imagine doing for the rest of my life. NURSING ISN'T a glamorous job either. seriously. and it doesn't feel right when u wake up in the morning/evening, dragging your but out of bed to go to work. Im not happy.   I started this thread waaayyyyyyyyyy back, and just so you know all those who commented on this thread, In the present, I AM ALREADY ENROLLED IN  A CULINARY SCHOOL.. Sorry for disappointing you guys :( But as they say you only live your life once right? And if ever this doesn't end to what i would want to, i have to face the consequences of my decision.. Thank you so much for hearing me out :)

I did all that . I don't have any regrets about where I am right now in my life right now (years later),  but remember the sage advice you are receiving right now, it is not for nothing they are saying this. If you have the funds to put yourself through culinary  school and start all over at the bottom to work your way up , then I tip my hat to you . It seems to me that you already know where you are going in your life, the fact that worked hard to get through nursing is great. You of all people should have known while doing your stages at the hospitals that it was not going to be glamorous, in fact that is known first year in ( I know) . Working a hot kitchen is not different. Cranky patients ? you'll get cranky clients.

I thought working the floors in A/C pushing a lighweight cart was a pain and admin. meds was ....but the kitchen is a whole different ball game.

 

I wish you all the best in culinary school. You seem to have alot of drive and ambition. Be dedicated and don't lose your passion.

 

Petals.

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply
post #46 of 83

It is ok to got to culinary school in fact some of my most enjoyable years and fondest memories were from the CIA. It was an awesome place to go to school. Beautiful location, amazing instructors and you could focus on any subject you enjoyed. Of course back then it was $25K not $56K like it is now.

 

The whole point of me saying don't go to culinary school is I don't believe anyone should go to culinary school if they have not but in serious time on the hot line. It is just a complete waste. I don't want to be a jerk or offend you but that is the truth. Before going to school to become a chef you need to truly understand what it is to work a hot line night after night. How to prep a station, how to deal with numerous cuts and burns and heat.To me culinary school is like food tv it is not the real world.

 

As for going to school to want to please your parents I think all kids can identify with that. The reality for you is that you have an awesome skill as a nurse and if you want to take a few years off and try working as a chef you can. But, you can always head back to nursing and who knows, maybe working as a chef will give you a deeper appreciation for being a nurse and you will enjoy it more.

 

Keep us posted on how you like school.

Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
post #47 of 83

Great points Nicko !

 

Petals.

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply
post #48 of 83

Happy for you!

Were you able to "park" your license in case you want to return to nursing?

In Texas you can pay a fee to do so and when/if you decide to return to the field all you have to do is take a short refresher course and a few tests.

I did L&D for 22 years...and thanks to all the "fluffy" moms that insisted they receive an epidural that left them totally numb from waist down (then have an emergency that required either repositioning or ER C-Section) I required 2 lumbar fusions and retired.

The $$ was awesome, tho ( 75 k for 3 12 hour shifts per week plus a few days of call per month ).

post #49 of 83

Yes, its parked. I did palliative care. Refresher courses are needed here and a  test should I even decide to re-enter it. One thing I have learned in life : Never say never. (Just to add to this post- Quebec demands that you be qualified in both languages officially which has caused much grief to nurses wanting to get a job here- French language Charter Bill 101)

Working L&D for 22 Yrs, you must of seen some things too. 

The shifts are a bit crazy but you ride the wave, same with this line work. The money is a different story, they just don't compare. Some jobs are, "its who you know", and the "right timing".

 

That is why it is good for anyone deciding to enter this field to weigh it carefully.

 

ps. culinary schools and classes are popping up all over  while doctors & nurses are leaving the province, guess where the demand will be ?

 

Petals.


Edited by petalsandcoco - 8/3/12 at 9:29am

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply
post #50 of 83

I really missed my vocation in life, could not afford the schools  Wanted to be a VET. if I was  slightly younger I would go to vet school now. Thats why I volunteer  about 20 hours a week in animal shelters assisting vets and whatever else has to be done. My strong points are cats and kittens I try and match the adoptee to the cat or kitten.Many of the Vets that read my book claim they did not know half the things I had in the book. There is nothing medical in book its all a study of behavior(based on 12 years) and what the owner should do before adopting. It is the most satisfying thing I ever did.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #51 of 83

That is pretty cool Ed I had no idea you were such a cat lover. It seems so anti-chef. For some reason I see all chefs have husky dogs not fluffy cats. ha ha!

Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
post #52 of 83

Being a chef takes years of experience to be successful. Just like being a nurse you have to apply yourself and be in certain situations repetitively to be become better at it. You can work as a cook for years and never become the Chef if you don't apply yourself. Not a whole lot of money in the restaurant industry either. You make more as a nurse than you ever will cooking unless you are deeply passionate and dedicate yourself to knowledge and learning and perfecting the different aspects of menu building and execution of the food preparation. I could go on for hours because I am passionate about my food and have strong ethics when it comes to preparing food for customers. I live to serve every person the best meal they could ever have. Good Luck !!!

post #53 of 83

I wrote a book on cat fostering. If you want I could E you all 38 pages.. Ed

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #54 of 83
Ed, I would really like to read what you wrote. My boss is a huge cat lover. He recently adopted a kitten and we just think she is adorable. Getting her to get along with the other 3 adult cats the past 3 weeks has been a challenge. I'll send you my email if that's ok in a pm .

You have 3 loves in your life , some never find one .

Petals.

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply
post #55 of 83

I will E you my book 5 pages at a time. I have a spare room in my house that looks like a Vet office, only thing I can't do is xray because you have to have permits for it. I even have introvinus equip. If you want to know anything re cats or their behavior let me know be happy to help you. Down here they call me The Cat Whisperer  Edb

 

P.S // There is a program on TV here with a fellow named Jackson Galaxie it is called my cat from hell. The guy is great, knows more about cats then anyone that I have ever spoken too. Your boss would like the show

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #56 of 83

Terrific Ed, thank you. I will get him to check out the show.

 

Have you ever thought about writing a little something about all your life experiences as a Chef ? A memoir perhaps ?

 

You are having the best of both worlds, and that is a good thing !

 

Petals.

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Baby Cake
(4 photos)
Victorian cupcakes
(10 photos)
Reply
post #57 of 83

hayyyyyyyyyyyyy

post #58 of 83

I use cooking as an expressive way to channel some creativity plus I love seeing people enjoy my food.  I find it a stress reliever from the day to day stress of my day job.  Often friends and relatives will comment that you should open a restaurant..blah, blah, blah...I'm like are you crazy!  That's really hard work with long hours and longer hours on the weekend all for low pay and a high risk of failure.  As much as I love to cook I'll keep it as a hobby and let it be the thing that relieves the stress from my 4 day a week job with free weekends.

You can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day unless you start in the morning

Reply

You can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day unless you start in the morning

Reply
post #59 of 83

Agree

post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefedb View Post

I wrote a book on cat fostering. If you want I could E you all 38 pages.. Ed

 

I would love to read this if you were still offering.  I have been working with animals for the past 15 years & think I would really enjoy the read

~MissyD

Reply

~MissyD

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › im a nurse but i want to be a chef! :D any tips?