Last autumn, I had submitted the survey, and recall it focused primarily on Austrian regional cuisine which, in my opinion, this is a means to promote Austrian regional cuisine in The USA and other countries in E.U.
Paternally, I am 1/2 Italian and maternally 1/2 French Swiss, and living a long time in the Mediterranean, my palate has always swung to Mediterranean in following order: Italian, Greek, French, Galician ( north western Iberian ), Catalan ( Northeast Iberian Peninsula ) and Andalusian Tapas.
Thus, I can tell you, that I was in Vienna once for a few days, and though I had a few very lovely lunches and dinners in Vienna, most of the cuisine I had eaten was French. The Austrian Streudel and the Austrian Red Wines, I sampled were quite lovely.
Furthermore, I had never received any feedback.
Why I would select a Restaurant or Tapas bar or Gastro Bar or Trattoria ?
1) Perhaps, a respected colleague´s suggestion and recommendation
2) Perhaps, a well written review in magazine, newspaper
3) Perhaps, since I am a Journalist / Reporter and lunch and dine for my job at our magazine, I would return as a client, if I think it is exquisite and / or superb.
4) Perhaps, because I have interviewed the Chef or met the owner at an event I attended professionally, and wish to explore his / her culinary philiosphy further as a client and not a journalist ( though they are never separated palate wise )
5) I sometimes select a Tapas bar, because I intuitively like the ambiance and shall take a chance
6) Sometimes, I shall have a wine at a bar, and decide whether or not I shall lunch too
Many variables depending on the genre of the place and the cuisine. In Spain or Italia or Greece, one goes to a crowded Tavern, not an empty one !
Edited by margcata - 2/10/12 at 1:29am