or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › potato terminology
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

potato terminology

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hi!

 

I'm searching for an english term to describe potatoes, first cooked completely with the peel still on, then peeled and sauteed in a pan with a sprinkle of oil, chopped onions and a touch of salt. Does it exist at all?

 

Thank you.

post #2 of 22

Welcome to Cheftalk, Jelka.

 

If you cut the cooked potatoes into dice or chunks you would have home-fried potatoes, sometimes called cottage-fried.

 

If you're leaving them whole for the saute I'm not familiar with that approach.

They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelka Mohoric View Post

Hi!

 

I'm searching for an english term to describe potatoes, first cooked completely with the peel still on, then peeled and sauteed in a pan with a sprinkle of oil, chopped onions and a touch of salt. Does it exist at all?

 

Thank you.



Just add some bacon too and you could name it in french "pommes de terre à l'Alsacienne".

I have no idea how the english name could be, maybe "Potatoes Alsace style"

BTW Alsace is a french region.

 

post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelka Mohoric View Post

Hi!

 

I'm searching for an english term to describe potatoes, first cooked completely with the peel still on, then peeled and sauteed in a pan with a sprinkle of oil, chopped onions and a touch of salt. Does it exist at all?

 

Thank you.

Are you looking for menu description(s) or for recipe technique description(s)?

 

If recipe technique, the fully cooked, skin on, potatoes could be boiled, baked, or microwaved, depending on the actual process.

 

The peeled potatoes, depending on the size and shape, might have a variety of names, i.e. home fries, O'Brien potatoes, country fries, cottage fries, Southern Hash Browns, sautéed potatoes with onions, etc.
 

 

Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
post #5 of 22

To saute them whole is going to take a long time ,better to boil al dente then finish by roasting.  If you cut them up you can go many ways which have already been mentioned above. If you leave skin on buy a thin skin potato and wash it well first..

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #6 of 22

Bubble and squeak.

post #7 of 22

Mary, could you expand on that response?

 

To me, bubble and squeak is a dish made with cooked beef and vinegar. Potatoes don't enter the picture at all, let alone star.

They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYHeirloomer View Post

Mary, could you expand on that response?

 

To me, bubble and squeak is a dish made with cooked beef and vinegar. Potatoes don't enter the picture at all, let alone star.

Hm, "Bubbles 'n Squeak" means, to me, mashed potatoes and cabbage, no?
 

 

Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
post #9 of 22

yes.fried until crusty.mmmmmm. I add a bit of onion too.

post #10 of 22

Lyonnasie?

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hi again.

 

First, thank you for such a warm welcome and vast response. I'm glad to encounter such kind people on this forum, few forums are such..

 

And now, to the business:D Yes, I was looking for a name, not a process of cooking, but thanks anyway for the recipe suggestions. I just might try them in the following days ;) And out of all suggestions, I believe the name home fries would suit the best, but I'm still slightly sceptic of it. The thing is that only a few recipes resemble mine. In it the cooked and peeled potato is sliced in whichever form, because it doesn't keep it in the end, due to the mixing during the process of sautéeing (if i can call it now this way). The final result is a kind of mush, but not creamy like mashed potato - it has larger bits. Whereas in the majority of recipes the potato keeps its form... Is this factor relevant regarding the nomenclature?

 

Thank you again.

post #12 of 22

There is a Potato hashed in cream and a Smashed potato. I really do not think you have invented anything new. And what is the point of this whole procedure???

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #13 of 22

I have seen bubble and squeak made both ways, potatoes only and potatoes and cabbage(some even include bacon). I am not a food historian so which one is original I have no clue. KYH it is an English dish as far as I know so your version may be from a different country.

post #14 of 22

Well, there's a typo in my post, Mary.

 

I meant to say, cooked meat, cabbage, and vinegar. Far as I know, it's a dish designed to use up left-overs, and is, as you say, English in origin.

 

I did a search, and most recipes do, indeed, call for potatoes. My impression is that the use of meat predates WWII, and that might have something to do with it. Wish some of our British members would chime in on this.

 

Jelka: With home fries the potatoes do, indeed, keep their shape. So that nomenclature wouldn't apply. Sounds to me that ChefEd is more on track with this.

 

 

They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
post #15 of 22


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelka Mohoric View Post

Hi!

 

I'm searching for an english term to describe potatoes, first cooked completely with the peel still on, then peeled and sauteed in a pan with a sprinkle of oil, chopped onions and a touch of salt. Does it exist at all?


In French, potatoes cooked like that are called "Pommes miettes": http://www.hotellerie-restauration.ac-versailles.fr/fiches/?id=72

 

If you add onions to anything you can call it "à la Lyonnaise", so you could call this dish "Pommes miettes à la Lyonnaise". 

 

maxi_0072.jpg

post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 

French fries, thank you. This is exactly the dish I was looking for.

 

And chefedb, I knew I haven't invented a new dish. I am just translating a menu from my language to english and decided to ask the professionals on the topic, since I couldnt find a solution by myself on any means. 

 

Thank you again for all the help and kind responses. I wish you all the best in everything you do.

 

Bye

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelka Mohoric View Post

French fries, thank you. This is exactly the dish I was looking for.


Great! You're welcome. smile.gif

 

post #18 of 22

Just read this and wanted to expand on Bubble and squeak. It is the left over vegetables from a Sunday roast dinner crushed and fried in a pan until a crust forms underneath. Usually served with sliced cold meat left from the roast dinner too. Tradtionally it is potatoes and cabbage but any other vegetables can be added.

post #19 of 22

Bubble and squeak is great with things like brussel sprouts or savoy cabbage.  With plenty of crushed roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes.

I like to add spring onions to the squeak!

post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryB View Post

Bubble and squeak.


I think ChefRoss and  Mary called it .  and French Fries nailed it down. . Now depending where your from , it can have alot of twists as far as ingredients.

 

@ French Fries , great pic and definition, I checked it myself, at one point it was getting a bit confusing, same def. For the other thread , caramalized cheese:  "tuile au fromage" , makes sense now but it took time to figure that out......enjoy the process of the answer.
 

 

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Served Up
(168 photos)
Wine and Cheese
(62 photos)
 
Reply

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Served Up
(168 photos)
Wine and Cheese
(62 photos)
 
Reply
post #21 of 22

Nothing is more favorite to me than potatoes any which way.  I love them boiled, fried, roasted, sauteed, you name it they're fantastic!  My home fries start with boiled or microwaved potatoes cut into chunks and sauteed with olive oil, red onion, and bell peppers with lots of fresh cracked pepper and oregano.  They're a rave.

 

I don't think bubble and squeak is any one recipe, it is a process of mashing up various left over veggies as Bazza mentioned from leftovers.  I've seen various root veggies involved from potatoes to parsnips to carrots etc, you can't go wrong whatever you decide to put in there, even leftover asparagus would work.  I think potatoes are most often used.  I think they're roughly smushed and put in a pan until a crust forms and then turned over.  Basically like hashbrowns.

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #22 of 22

KK,

 

Your so right,

 

The humble potato has taught us so many things.

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Served Up
(168 photos)
Wine and Cheese
(62 photos)
 
Reply

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Served Up
(168 photos)
Wine and Cheese
(62 photos)
 
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › potato terminology