or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Need your help please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need your help please

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Since this forum is read by pros and amateurs of all levels I really need your help with this. I am in the middle of research on a product development task and I really could use your thoughts on the Marinade injector thread. Even if you have never used one if you can take a moment and say why you would or wouldn't use one or any thoughts you have on the item be it good or bad it doesn't matter. I just need opinions.

 

Thanks greatly for your help!

 

Adam

My latest musical venture!
http://myspace.com/nikandtheniceguys
 
Also
http://www.myspace.com/popshowband "I'm at the age when food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table." Rodney Dangerfield RIP
Reply
My latest musical venture!
http://myspace.com/nikandtheniceguys
 
Also
http://www.myspace.com/popshowband "I'm at the age when food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table." Rodney Dangerfield RIP
Reply
post #2 of 16

personally, I'm of the mind "Why poke holes in meat?" I am not one to "inject" anything into my meats. Proper cuts, prepared properly, rubbed, seasoned, marinated... cooked according to proper guidelines (moist or dry heat, tenderized etc etc). natural juices taste good. Properly prepared rubs and sauces add flavour without changing the flavour profile of your basic ingredients... I like the bark on a pork butt, but it's a highlight to the natural flavour of slow cooked pork, for example. But, that's just me.

 

As an aside... there are a ton of "flavour injectors" out there already, and they all work on the same principle... big ol' syringe. Seems like reinventing the wheel.

post #3 of 16

I've avoided such meats because the "marinade' contains unpalatable levels of salt. I've not made a large piece of meat recently, but if I did, I'd probably search for a recipe that's long on flavor and short on salt.

Moderator Emerita, Welcome Forum
***It is better to ask forgiveness than beg permission.***
Reply
Moderator Emerita, Welcome Forum
***It is better to ask forgiveness than beg permission.***
Reply
post #4 of 16

Adam,

  I have become kind of a fanatic about injecting.

Down here in Tx. we usually don't cook inside the house after Memorial Day.

I have even bothered a surgeon friend for a large syringe.

My new thing is grinding and smoking my dry spices. Garlic steeped in voo. grind all together including the mushy garlic and inject

lamb.go Right on the grill. Manlicklips.gif

I don't know if this is common but I inject a lot of purees. I shoot roasted red pepper and jalapeno into skirt. Thge next day I rub and cook.thumb.gif

pan

Never! Live To Work!:::::::Work To Live!::Life Is Too Short!!
Paninicakes.com

Reply

Never! Live To Work!:::::::Work To Live!::Life Is Too Short!!
Paninicakes.com

Reply
post #5 of 16

What I've wanted to do for a while is to try and find a way of filling a steak with a little sphere of bearnaise in the middle so that it floods out as you cut into it.

post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 

Thanks folks, this is most helpful. Keep them coming! I will let you know sometime what if anything comes of this.

My latest musical venture!
http://myspace.com/nikandtheniceguys
 
Also
http://www.myspace.com/popshowband "I'm at the age when food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table." Rodney Dangerfield RIP
Reply
My latest musical venture!
http://myspace.com/nikandtheniceguys
 
Also
http://www.myspace.com/popshowband "I'm at the age when food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table." Rodney Dangerfield RIP
Reply
post #7 of 16

Chrose,

not sure i am of much help as i do not use injector marinades for meats. don't know why really--guess i don't really see the point unless you are smoking meats, but i don't do that either. in my restaurant, our proteins are either grilled or sauteed. even when i do prime ribs or briskets, i either do a rub, a marinade and a slow roast. for roast chicken or turkey, it's either marinated for days or something put under the skin(like green chilies and garlic, butter). don't think it's from being lazy that i don't use injectors--think for me its simply avoiding another messy step that doesn't significantly improve the end result. then again, as i said before, i know nothing!

now chef, if you wanna talk about injecting strawberries with tuaca, grapes with frangelico or watermelon with vodka, i'm there!!!

joey

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by durangojo View Post

Chrose,

not sure i am of much help as i do not use injector marinades for meats.



Joey,

Thanks. Any comments are welcome and important. Pro or con it doesn't matter. Personal opinions or experience is what I need. Any and all!

 

My latest musical venture!
http://myspace.com/nikandtheniceguys
 
Also
http://www.myspace.com/popshowband "I'm at the age when food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table." Rodney Dangerfield RIP
Reply
My latest musical venture!
http://myspace.com/nikandtheniceguys
 
Also
http://www.myspace.com/popshowband "I'm at the age when food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table." Rodney Dangerfield RIP
Reply
post #9 of 16

DEPENDS  If I were a manufacturer I would pump marinade in so far  as to add weight to the product so to recoup some of the cost of the marinade and time and labor.   Home however , I prefer a rub or  a marinade from outside, so I can control the outcome better.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #10 of 16
I don't think I've ever really trusted the science of injecting. It seems to me that whatever you inject just fills the spaces between the meat fibers and is likely to be squeezed out when the fibers contract during cooking. Brining on the other hand acts on a molecular level and retains the flavored liquid. I have no evidence to support this theory; it's just my opinion.
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock View Post

I have no evidence to support this theory; it's just my opinion.


And that's good enough. Thanks!
 

 

My latest musical venture!
http://myspace.com/nikandtheniceguys
 
Also
http://www.myspace.com/popshowband "I'm at the age when food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table." Rodney Dangerfield RIP
Reply
My latest musical venture!
http://myspace.com/nikandtheniceguys
 
Also
http://www.myspace.com/popshowband "I'm at the age when food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table." Rodney Dangerfield RIP
Reply
post #12 of 16

I can see the idea of it in roasts and other proteins that are to thick to allow a regular marinade to penetrate. If you are a fan of making sauces for your meat you really don't need much flavor "in" the meat itself... I guess for me it isn't a step I could see myself ever really using. Like what was stated before... just another mess to clean up.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM2 View Post

If you are a fan of making sauces for your meat you really don't need much flavor "in" the meat itself... 

 

HUH?? eek.gif

 

post #14 of 16

All this Bar B Q  has given me an  idea. A Diet, sugar free Bar B Q sauce. More for diebetics then weight control. I have started to work on it.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #15 of 16


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Fries View Post

 

HUH?? eek.gif

 


Clearly a poor choice of words... From my very limited experience as a cook, the only way your average cook can get flavoring deep into a protein is by injecting it or brining it. If you have a roast for instance, I would not normally brine it personally. I might be missing an amazing boat but it would not have been my first choice. Some folks do not have sauces and gravies on their meals. If you are to make a rub or create a crust on that roast it is a surface flavor to my limited knowledge. And if you do not BBQ it... well not a ton of that flavoring rub gets deep in the meat. 

 

I am here to learn, and post is asking for what we know... this is all I know on the subject. You do not know that you are wrong unless you are shown, and I do not have much experience with larger pieces of meat. I have only just started cooking as a career. I do not get to make a very large assortment of foods in my job and my wife has a very limited diet. She can not eat much in the form of meat.

 

post #16 of 16



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefedb View Post

All this Bar B Q  has given me an  idea. A Diet, sugar free Bar B Q sauce. More for diebetics then weight control. I have started to work on it.


Ed, being a diabetic I could see the potential. All diabetics are not created equally. I eat bread regularly, it does not spike my bs much.

Rice, potatoes and pasta are the worst offenders, pretty much out of my diet.

 

Most bbq sauces are ok for me as I don't use much. Some may be affected  by the sugar content of the tomato product alone, others only from the added sugar.

 

I would like a sugar free or reduced sugar teriyaki sauce. I went to our local take out place yesterday that does a mean chicken teriyaki over charcoal.

I order without any extra sauce, just what it is basted in while on the fire, and it is still sugar over load for several hours.

 

I'm not big on sweets, don't sweeten tea or coffee, but when I do need some sweetener I use agave or stevia.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Need your help please