I'm not much of a gardener. I have a terrace on the 6th floor in rome, under the hot sun from morning to night in summer, and in the shade all winter. I manage to grow some flowers and stuff, and it looks ok, but i would like to grow some stuff i can eat.
I also can't for the life of me grow from seeds (well, i grew nasturtiums, they do ok, nothing else - not even bulbs seem to come up!) but i buy plants and can USUALLY keep them alive. They need watering daily and we can't really afford to put in a new watering system right now - forget to water one night and half of them turn brown.
Given that, I bought a pumpkin plant with three nice pumpkins - still green and the size of your two cupped hands together.
I thought they were muddy, but when i got them home i noticed thqat what seemed like pale mud was actually some spots on the leaves, whitish greyish spots.
Is that a fungus or something? is there anything i can do besides spraying poisons?
i usually deal with parasites (aphids, caterpillars etc) with dishwashing detergent foamed up with water. They die on contact, and i keep doing it. But i doubt this would work on fungus.
any ideas? (the plant nursery people are pretty ignorant as far as i;ve seen.)