ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Spices/dried herbs for mediterranean salad?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spices/dried herbs for mediterranean salad? - Page 2

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Fries View Post


I'm not a fan of cinnamon, and in fact I avoid it in desserts altogether. There are exceptions, for example speculaas. 

 

But I love cinnamon when used tastefully as you describe, for example in a lot of north African cuisines... then it doesn't bother me at all. 

 

Cinnamon never bothered me during my multiple trips to Greece! Loved the food. 


That's funny, most people like it on desserts and not in savoury food.  I love it any way I can get it.
 

 

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #32 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukouvagia View Post

That's funny, most people like it on desserts and not in savoury food.

 

I know. I don't get it. Cinnamon on an apple tart? What a waste of a perfectly edible apple tart! lol.gif

 

Then again I don't really get the whole lamb and mint thing either. Go figure. 

post #33 of 37

Like many spices, cinnamon is at its best in a mixture with other spices! Very strange but true.

 

I often use "garam masala" which contains some cinnamon next to a number of other spices. Garam masala spreads a very refined odor of cinnamon. I use it as a light dry rub with pork (totally delicious) or as an additive in different dishes like stews, particularly in osso buco (the version without tomatoes) and in moussaka. But as always with spices, it's a matter of the right dose; I go for minimal! 

post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Fries View Post

 

I know. I don't get it. Cinnamon on an apple tart? What a waste of a perfectly edible apple tart! lol.gif

 

Then again I don't really get the whole lamb and mint thing either. Go figure. 



Me, I can't eat an apple tart if it's not made with cinammon.  I never understood the mint and lamb thing either until I started putting mint in my tzatziki - then it works somehow.  Know what I don't understand at all?  Pork and fruit.  Yuck.  I don't want fruit on my meat unless it's duck, and even then I can do without.

 

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #35 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukouvagia View Post

I don't want fruit on my meat

 

Wow that leaves a LOT out. The wonderful world of tajines? Hawaiian pineapple fried rice, hawaiian pizza, hawaii toast? Are you ok with raisins in Indian food? 

 

One of my best meal ever was when a friend of my parents prepared duck magrets roasted in the chimney, accompanied with grapes that he had peeled and seeded (it was the first time in my life I saw peeled and seeded grapes)! licklips.gif

 

Anyway, funny to see how different our tastes are. 

 

PS: When I was a kid my mum once served us roasted bananas wrapped into a slice of ham. I found it utterly disgusting.

post #36 of 37



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Fries View Post



 

Wow that leaves a LOT out. The wonderful world of tajines? Hawaiian pineapple fried rice, hawaiian pizza, hawaii toast? Are you ok with raisins in Indian food? 

 

One of my best meal ever was when a friend of my parents prepared duck magrets roasted in the chimney, accompanied with grapes that he had peeled and seeded (it was the first time in my life I saw peeled and seeded grapes)! licklips.gif

 

Anyway, funny to see how different our tastes are. 

 

PS: When I was a kid my mum once served us roasted bananas wrapped into a slice of ham. I found it utterly disgusting.


 

I guess I'm a little odd.  I'm willing to go as far as melon and proscuitto but no further.  Fruit in savoury dishes pushes my limit but I admit it's not something I crave.  I'm not ok with raisins in any food, not even desserts.  They are tolerated in a cinammon/raisin bagel.

 

I make a nice duck breast with blackberry sauce but I sauce my breast sparingly.

 

I was at Ikea the other day and I had the swedish meatballs with the lingonberries.  I didn't make a yucky face so that's good lol.
 

 

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #37 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koukouvagia View Post

 

I was at Ikea the other day and I had the swedish meatballs with the lingonberries.  I didn't make a yucky face so that's good lol.


Haha I always order the meatballs with lingonberries at IKEA too! :)

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Spices/dried herbs for mediterranean salad?