or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Recipes › Any recipes have honey in it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any recipes have honey in it?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I love honey so do you have a recipe to share. If you have,feel free to post here

post #2 of 13

Did you know that honey is the only food product that does not go bad??

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

@chefedb : Really!! awesome, but do you have a recipe that has honey in it?

 

Thank You peace.gif


Edited by I love cooking - 8/16/11 at 4:47pm
post #4 of 13

A wellknown classic with pears, gorgonzola, honey, arugula(rucola).

Peel and quarter not too ripe pears (don't use soft ones). Fry in a pan in butter on not too high fire. When they soften just a little, drizzle over some honey and let caramelize gently. Caramelize may not be the correct word as there's certainly no coloring involved. The butter and the honey form some sort of syrup.

 

Plating; put some arugula on a plate, put the pears on and a few chunks of gorgonzola(dolce). Drizzle the syrup over it. You may add some lightly toasted walnuts or pecans or whatever you like.

post #5 of 13

First of all ILC, you can substitute honey for sugar in most recipes. Sometimes you have to adjust quantitites, sometimes not.

 

Second, could you be a bit more focused? Are you looking for sweet or savory dishes? Appetizers? Desserts? Drinks? Plain dishes or fancy? Etc?

They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYHeirloomer View Post

First of all ILC, you can substitute honey for sugar in most recipes. Sometimes you have to adjust quantitites, sometimes not.

 

Second, could you be a bit more focused? Are you looking for sweet or savory dishes? Appetizers? Desserts? Drinks? Plain dishes or fancy? Etc?

I am looking for an appetizers dish 
 

 

post #7 of 13

Yep,  

 

Here's one.  Simple but scrumptious.

 

Need:

Honey

baking dish

quarter chicken legs/thighs

(kraft) honey bar-b-que sauce

 

Pre-heat at 350.

After washing and drying your chicken, place in an open baking dish.

Pour honey over chicken.  Pour honey bar-b-que on chicken.

Place in oven uncovered for 1hour 10- 1 hour 15 minutes.

 

The chicken has a distinct honey flavor, and is tender and delicious.  Quarter's may be too much for some; you can always go just thigh's or leg's.  I enjoy this juicy meal with rice and a nice green vegetable like steamed broccoli.  

post #8 of 13

Go on internet and punch in recipes honey, there are many.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #9 of 13

You want to be careful using honey for appetizers. Too heavy a hand with it and the dish gets to be cloyingly sweet. Appetizers are supposed to pique the appetite, not dull it. As a general rule, I'd say if you can taste the honey as a distinct element then you've used too much. You also might consider using honey-based items in conjunction with spicy or acidic ones, to achieve balance.

 

For instance, in her Great Bar Food At Home, Kate Hayhoe has a recipe for seeded honey crisps. These use won ton wrappers to create crackers with a salty-sweet flavor. By themselves they are far too sweet, IMO. But if you combine them with a spicy dip or spread, they work well.

 

The recipe is too long to type here, but you might try looking up the book.

They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
They have taken the oath of the brother in blood, in leavened bread and salt. Rudyard Kipling
Reply
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYHeirloomer View Post

You want to be careful using honey for appetizers. Too heavy a hand with it and the dish gets to be cloyingly sweet. Appetizers are supposed to pique the appetite, not dull it. As a general rule, I'd say if you can taste the honey as a distinct element then you've used too much. You also might consider using honey-based items in conjunction with spicy or acidic ones, to achieve balance.

 



Very true. I forgot in my earlier post to mention you need to squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the pears and honey preparation when still in the pan.

You need acidity to give some depth in the taste. Without it the dish tastes very "flat" and too sweet.

 

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevelopingTaste View Post

Yep,  

 

Here's one.  Simple but scrumptious.

 

Need:

Honey

baking dish

quarter chicken legs/thighs

(kraft) honey bar-b-que sauce

 

Pre-heat at 350.

After washing and drying your chicken, place in an open baking dish.

Pour honey over chicken.  Pour honey bar-b-que on chicken.

Place in oven uncovered for 1hour 10- 1 hour 15 minutes.

 

The chicken has a distinct honey flavor, and is tender and delicious.  Quarter's may be too much for some; you can always go just thigh's or leg's.  I enjoy this juicy meal with rice and a nice green vegetable like steamed broccoli.  

I will try it Thanks peace.gif
 

 

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love cooking View Post



I will try it Thanks peace.gif
 

 


Your welcome.  I love it.  The only thing on my recipe I'm not sure of is the time of cooking.  We use a gas heated stove and we are in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains.  Your time in the oven and temperature may differ.  I would guess that a thermometer would be a good idea.

 

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevelopingTaste View Post




Your welcome.  I love it.  The only thing on my recipe I'm not sure of is the time of cooking.  We use a gas heated stove and we are in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains.  Your time in the oven and temperature may differ.  I would guess that a thermometer would be a good idea.

 


You'r right 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Recipes › Any recipes have honey in it?