My wife and I recently upgraded our modest 3br house. In particular our kitchen is now as good as it gets for its size.
I always have been some what of a handy man so with my wife’s help did the labor. After we finished I wondered why we waited 20 years since the kitchen is now a real joy when it comes too preparing and cooking. I was never was much at cooking, but now I spend several hours a week experimenting and it is fun.
So what did we do?
- We ripped up vinyl flooring and replace with ceramic tile. A water proof floor makes cleaning up much much easier since water cannot seep under vinyl or behind the counters. $1300
- Replaced old counter tops with granite. Niceeee… $1500
- Put in 1 hp quiet disposal. No more jams. $300
- Bought all new appliances including a Meile dishwasher #1500, an over cook top microwave $600, and a cabinet depth Kitchen Aid French door refrigerator $2800. Now food does not get lost in back and then thrown out 3 months later…
- We replaced an old four burner cooktop with a new Viking 6 burner pro series $1700. What a fantastic difference. Cooking time cut in half.
- And the my favorite was we took out our double gas wall oven and replaced with a new BlueStar wall oven $2300. As it turns out a single BlueStar has almost the same capacity as a two standard ovens. And what is also amazing is it weighs over 300 lbs!! What a wonderful beast…and its temperature is spot on…!!! And best of all no more bending down to look at stuff and put things in or out. The racks are at exactly counter height and eye level!!! How do feel about that when your bending over your range??
- I also built in several roller/slide out drawers under oven to store pots and pans etc..$80