or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Tell Me What You Think, Toe In Or Out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tell Me What You Think, Toe In Or Out?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

In our area they have an annual Soup Off.  Rather than a Chili challenge, its peoples best soup recipes.  I’m not sure if I should give cooking competitions a whirl or not. 

Each fall since we have moved to Arizona from Hawaii, I make oodles of different types of warming, brothy, close your eyes and say “AAAHHHH” concoctions.  

Also, I’m not sure if I should entire more than one dish.  I don’t know if it would be wise to go up against someones Bubby’s Chicken Noodle Soup, that has been passed down for generations. 

Our favorite is Portuguese Bean Soup, a take on Portugues Sopa de feijao. 

I was thinking that this would be so unusual that maybe I’d have a shot. 

I could even make some honest-to-goodness Portuguese Sweet Bread, not that “King’s Hawaiian” to go along side. 

 

So what do you think?

 

post #2 of 19
I think, "Why not?"

BDL
post #3 of 19

GO FOR THE GOLD>

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #4 of 19

DO IT!!

 

It is much better to try and fail than to live life of regrets and wondering IF you could have beaten the competition. No matter how intimidating or scary it may seem at first, you will feel relieved to have done it afterwards. After all, you'll never know until you try.

 

Only the best

post #5 of 19

why exactly wouldn't you do it?...now get cookin!!!

joey

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 

... but what about the idea of making a soup that's unusual?  I have until November...

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohegirlinaz View Post

Our favorite is Portuguese Bean Soup, a take on Portugues Sopa de feijao. 

I was thinking that this would be so unusual that maybe I’d have a shot. 

I could even make some honest-to-goodness Portuguese Sweet Bread, not that “King’s Hawaiian” to go along side. 

 

So what do you think?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohegirlinaz View Post

... but what about the idea of making a soup that's unusual?  I have until November...



If you are talking about the soup mentioned above, go for it. Especially if it is a favorite. I make a ham and bean soup that is simple, yet my family loves it. I make it often in the fall and winter when we have family over and it is a hit. Especially when served with some sweet cornbread.

 

If I had an opportunity such as yours, I would make something I am familiar with, if for nothing else but to share it with others. Go with what you know whether or not it is unusual. You may surprise yourself. I wouldn't do something unusual just for the sake of making something different however. I think once you do it and have it behind you, win or lose, you will be thankful you did.

 

 

post #8 of 19

 What kind of soup is Portuguese Bean Soup, I know what "Portagee Bean Soup is" ...............Great idea along with the Portagee bread............Then kill them with fresh out of the fryer Hot Molasadas...................Portagee Bean Soup was a favorite of mine in Hawaii.......Do yo remember a good restaurant on Oahu that makes Portagee Bean soup ?????  Good luck, I think it would be  a great idea.................ChefBillyB

post #9 of 19

Go for it.  What have you got to lose?  Sure, you'll be spending lots of time between now and then trying to improve your soup but you get to eat lots of good soup along the way.

 

So how does this work?  Are there different soup categories?  Is there a stock category too?  Sounds mighty fun.

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #10 of 19

Go for it, especially if it is "unusual."  It will get you noticed much more easily.  How is the judging done?  Do they have judges or do the "people" vote?  If it is a popular vote (where the people do the judging, not judges) stay away from any really bizzare flavor combinations, but other than that being slightly off-the-wall will make your soup stand out and make people remember it.

post #11 of 19

I agree, careful of the flavors....

 

KGirl, my money is riding on you !!! If I had the chance to do that here......oh my.....Go for it .

 

Would be a great thread your recipe.....

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Served Up
(168 photos)
Wine and Cheese
(62 photos)
 
Reply

Petals
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.

Served Up
(168 photos)
Wine and Cheese
(62 photos)
 
Reply
post #12 of 19

You should only do it if you share the recipe with us after you win!  :)

(and the sweet bread too)

 

post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBillyB View Post

 What kind of soup is Portuguese Bean Soup, I know what "Portagee Bean Soup is" ...............Great idea along with the Portagee bread............Then kill them with fresh out of the fryer Hot Molasadas...................Portagee Bean Soup was a favorite of mine in Hawaii.......Do yo remember a good restaurant on Oahu that makes Portagee Bean soup ?????  Good luck, I think it would be  a great idea.................ChefBillyB


 

IMHO, Zippy’s has the best Portuguese Bean Soup!!  As for Molasadas, I leave that to Leonard’s


 

 

post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukouvagia View Post

Go for it.  What have you got to lose?  Sure, you'll be spending lots of time between now and then trying to improve your soup but you get to eat lots of good soup along the way.

 

So how does this work?  Are there different soup categories?  Is there a stock category too?  Sounds mighty fun.



I'm not too sure how this will all work, but I'll try and find someone who has competed in the past to get more info

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Go for it, especially if it is "unusual."  It will get you noticed much more easily.  How is the judging done?  Do they have judges or do the "people" vote?  If it is a popular vote (where the people do the judging, not judges) stay away from any really bizzare flavor combinations, but other than that being slightly off-the-wall will make your soup stand out and make people remember it.



I TOTALLY agree!  The version of this soup that we make in Hawaii is not too far a field, we know plenty of mainland people who really enjoy this soup

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by petalsandcoco View Post

I agree, careful of the flavors....

 

KGirl, my money is riding on you !!! If I had the chance to do that here......oh my.....Go for it .

 

Would be a great thread your recipe.....



Oh my, thanks so much for your confidence petals

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGal View Post

You should only do it if you share the recipe with us after you win!  :)

(and the sweet bread too)

 



... I'll definitely post some results and maybe the recipe as well

 

post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 

… but no one gave their opinion on doing more than one soup…

post #16 of 19

Make a Gumbo using Portagee Sausage and hatch Chile's and whatever else you want to throw in it and call it................Hawaii-Azona Gumbo.............

post #17 of 19

opinions here on CT? be careful what you wish for sistah!! mine...i think you should stick to what you know since this is your first time out the gate...the devil is always in the details and i think it more important to do one thing very good rather than 2 things half as good.. put all your effort, focus and don't forget heart into just one....you'll be stellar

joey

no, you're not crazy kgirl... i deleted my origianl post after thinking about it


Edited by durangojo - 9/15/11 at 7:02am

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 

So I guess what you're saying is that I should enter more than one soup in this "Soup Off" ?

post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 

With all of the family drama in the past few months, I forgot to update you all on the “Soup Off”.

It was a very small community thing in our community clubhouse, loads of fun!!

I stuck with what I know…

Portuguese Bean Soup

It was a huge hit. 

There were no first place kind of thing, just a get together more like (I did have a lot of people tell me mine was the best though).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Tell Me What You Think, Toe In Or Out?