Recently I wrote on this forum that my favorite source for recipes are food magazines. Yesterday, I bought a few french magazines in France. In one of them there's a special on "La figue". This is why I like magazines as a recipe source; A. they work around seasonal food, B. they restyle classic recipes into contemporary versions and C. they create totally new recipes. All of that in just a few pages with fantastic pictures to go with.
These are the recipes. Since it sounds better, I give them in french as they are mentioned in Saveur - Le magazine de l'art de vivre gourmand - sept./oct. 2011
- Salade de figues, chips de serrano et tuiles de parmesan (wine suggestion; arbois rouge)
- Filet de bar rôti au parme et aux figues (wine suggestion; pineau d'Aunis)
- Magret de canard grillé, figues au vin rouge et navets fondants (wine suggestion; irouléguy rouge)
- Crottins de chèvre panés, figues fondantes au miel (wine suggestion; savennières)
- Confiture de figues à l'orange
- Figues marinées au Gewurztraminer
- Tarte fine aux figues et l'amande (wine suggestion; Vouvray demi-sec)
- Figues rôties au caramel de porto, crème anglaise à la cardemome (wine suggestion; Gewurztraminer d'Alsace)
How does that sound?
Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post. Figs don't grow in my country. Same problem as Ishbel mentioned. The ones I used are storebought at... 1€ per piece. Ah well.
KKV; I stole plenty on my walks from Fodele beach to Fodele village. They came free of charge.