My paternal grandmother Margherite's Melanzane Di Lece ... Baked Eggplant ...
2 tblsps Italian olive oil
1 large minced onion
1 half cup packed fresh basil leaves
One 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes with puree
1 tblsp tomato paste
salt and ground black pepper
3 pounds of eggplant cut into one quarter inch thick rounds
all purpose flour
Freshly ground blk pepper
1 large onion thinly sliced
21 fresh basil leaves
2 cups ... or 8 oz. Grated Pecorino Romano
FOR SAUCE ...
1. heat 2 tblsps oil in heavy skillet over low flame
2. add onion and cover and cook until very soft, about 20 mins. Mix in minced garlic and basil to taste.
3. Increase to medium flame and saute 3 minutes
4. add crushed tomato and tomato paste and boil until thickened 5 to 8 minutes
5. Season with salt and ground blk pepper
FOR AUBERGINE ...
1. ARRANGE eggplant rounds on triple layers of paper towels
2. sprinkle both sides with salt
3. cover with paper towels
4. place wooden cutting board over eggplant slices and let stand 24 hours
FOR AUBERGINE ...
1. Place flour in large bowl
2. Dredge eggplant rounds in flour and shake off excess
3. heat oil in heavy skillet 375 degrees farenheit
4. add slices in batches and fry until golden, 2 to 3 mins. per side.
5. transfer to paper towels with slotted spoon
6. press gently to absorb the excess oil
7. heat 2 tablsps of oil in skillet over high heat and add onion and saute 5 mins. until golden brown.
8. preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit
9. spread one quarter of the sauce in an earthenware clay baking dish ... over the bottom of dish spread the sauce ... Top with single layering of the eggplant
Cover with one third onion, one quarter of the sauce, one third of the basil, some Ricotta and some Parmesano Romano or Fiore Sardi and repeat the layering process similar to a Lasagna. Twice ...
10. Cover with foil and bake 20 mins to one half hour until bubbly about another 10 mins and let stand 10 mins before serving ...
11. SERVE WITH A SANGIOVESE 100% RED WINE, warm Italian baguette and Extra Ricotta mixed and blended with Fiore Sardi or Parmesano or Lucatelli Romano on side for dipping ...
MANGIERI ... ENJOY on a chilly autumn or wintry day ...