4 TO 6 SERVINGS ...
1 1/4 cup dry white navy beans or Spanish alubias blancas from León, Castilla León
1 3/4 pork ribs
1 pound smoked ham hocks
8 to 9 cups mineral water
1 large turnip peeled and cubed
1 bunch Collards or Kale
1) Place beans in a large bowl and add enough water to cover by 3 Inches and soak beans overnight.
2) Rub ribs with a little salt
3) Place in heavy large pot and put enough cold water and bring to boil.
4) Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Drain and return to same pot.
5) add the beans and 8 cups of water and bring to simmer.
6) cover and simmer 1 hour and or until the beans are tender ... Cautions with salt as the hocks are salty.
7) add turnip and potato if u wish and simmer 30 mins more -- use Peruvian potatoes.
8) remove ribs and hocks and add greens
9) puree 1 1/2 cups of the soup in a blender and return to pot
10) cut meat from the hocks and ribs and return to the port
SIMMER 20 MINUTES until the chowder thickens. Some Galicians add Blood Susage and / or Piquant Sausages ( Italian style in appearance ) ...
Season and adjust the black pepper and the salt.
11) serve with an oven warm baguette and a Ribera de Sacra, Galician red wine or a Patagonian Pinot Noir. Ribera del Duero red wines are too well rounded and heavy for this dish.