Ok, i guess the title sounds like i want to make sure the molds don't die. No, i meant are all molds dangerous (can't be, or what do we do about the various moldy cheeses?) and just what molds are dangerous and what molds are ok?
I grew up with the frugal advice to just cut the moldy part off and the rest is fine. But that was before discoveries of connections between mold and cancer. So is green mold that grows on a piece of cheese so dangerous that i have to throw out the cheese? or can i salvage part of it? can i just remove the visible mold and nothing else? is it safe if cooked?
And what about the blackish stuff that is often found between the outer layers of onions. Is that mold, does it render the whole onion dangerous? can i just wash it off?
I'm interested in food safety up to a point - i won't sterilize things and am careful but not excessively so (more afraid of using detergents on things i might eat than on a little dirt, as long as it's not going to be in my preserved things where it can become deadly. So i want a sort of realistic idea (we should not eat ANY cheese if all mold is dangerous, even some contaminating molds, because for sure before that green spot is visible, it was there, too small to see, right?