This recipe hails from Memphis, Tennessee and had been given to me by an old female friend and restaurateur who now resides in Miami Beach ...
For 4 Sandwiches ...
8 thick slices of country rustic sourdough type bread, cut on a diagonal into 5" x 3 " by 3" x a half inch ...
1 large ripe sweet Banana
2 cups of Cheddar extra sharp
a jar of Peanut butter
4 tblsps of Mayonaise
8 slices of Bacon
1) Cook the bacon in heavy large skillet 6 minutes over medium heat until crisp and brown
turning occasionally and transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
2) place 4 bread slices on work surface. Top 4 slices with peanut butter spread evenly and thickly. Then, top with 2 bacon slices, breaking the pieces a little bit and the grated cheddar. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and black pepper.
3) Then, place the banana - 3 slices on each of the 4 pieces of bread and press into the bread a bit.
4) The spread 1/ 2 teaspoon of mayonaise on the other 4 pieces of bread ...
5) Heat the skillet over medium heat.
6) Add 2 sandwiches Mayo side down and top the sandwiches with a plate so they have a weight and shall brown better. Cook until they are golden brown and then, repeat for the other side.
Serve these sandwiches with an Eggcream ! Chow down delicious sandwich.