This cheese fondue recipe hails from Restaurant Le Pre Catin in Bonneval Sur Arc, Savoy, France ... Fondue is wonderfully social, as it provides a sharing and interexchanging bond and for a special occasion, cheeseaholics and / or vegetarians who eat cheese can fully participate ... Serve a green salad afterwards and a shot of Kirsch clear cherry liquor ... Enjoy ... Margcata.
6 SERVINGS ...
9 ounces of Beaufort cheese or Emmenthal grated
9 ounces of Comté or Gruyère cheese grated ( original Swiss - Lake Geneva area recipe uses Guyère )
2 tblsps of all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of dry white wine ( Le Pre Catin used Chignin Bergeron White Wine )
1 tblsp Kirsch ( Clear Cherry Brandy )
Pinch of Nutmeg
Salt and Grinded Black Pepper to taste
2 large French baguettes cut into cubes 1/4 inch each
1) toss cheeses with flour in a large bowl
2) Bring wine to simmer in a fondue pot or large sauce pan over medium heat
3) add a handful of grated cheese and whisk until melted
4) Repeat with all the grated cheese until the mixture is totally smooth
5) Mix in the Kirsch Brandy and a hefty pinch of Nutmeg
6) Add salt and black pepper to taste
7) Whisk until bubbly 2 minutes or so
8) Set fondue pot over candle or heat
9) serve with bread cubes on skewers
10) to reduce fat content, serve with white wine Chigin Bergeron or a Fermented Chardonnay, a variety of apples, grapes and pears.
11) Serve a green sorrel and arugula salad to wash the palate and a snifter of Kirsch afterwards.