This quintessential Ligurian late autumn and winter dish hails from: Trattoria Bar Ligagin´s owners Caterina Schenone and Signora Olcese.
Serves 4 to 6 ...
1 / 2 cup freshly grated Parmesano
2 tblsps Pine nuts
2 Garlic Cloves
6 1 / 2 Ounces of Fresh Basil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil from Italy
3 medium sized red skinned potatoes, peeled and cut
12 ounces of fresh Fava beans shelled and halved
14 ounces of Trenette ( pasta ) or Fettucini type pasta
1 tblsp of unsalted butter
1) finely grind the Parmesano cheese, pinenuts and garlic in a food processor
2) drizzle in the oil while processing ( in food processor ) until well blended
3) season pesto with salt and pepper
4) cook the potatoes in large pot of salted boiling water until just tender about 5 to 7 mins.
5) using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a large bowl
6) add fava beans to same pot and boil until tender - 5 to 7 mins.
7) using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to the bowl with where the potatoes are
8) cook pasta in same pot - according to package directions ...
9) whisk reserved liquid into pesto to moisten and add pesto and butter
10) toss to coat and serve in bowls
SERVE WITH: WARM ITALIAN BAGUETTE AND A LIGHT RED ITALIAN WINE